Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Decisions Decisions (74 911S or 86 Carrera)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:33 AM
aveale
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions Decisions (74 911S or 86 Carrera)

Family,

I truly have a conundrum.

I am just waiting for a car to sell before I can purchase one of the following;
1974 Arctic Blue 911S
1986 Garnet Red Carrera
The 911S had a major engine overhaul ($12K) as an update/refresh.
The Carrera has 86K miles.

Both are sun roof coupes.

Both are about the same price and in similar condition.

I have test drove the Carrera and was unable to test drive the S (but will eventually). The Carrera does have a grumbly 2nd gear sycnro.

I am a porsche purest. Just finished restoring a 1973 914 to original condtion. I do plan to do some DE/AX events. I am certainly interested in handling as well as acceleration. I have read everybook (incld Zimmermans, Andersons, etc.) I can get my hands on, so I am familiar with the goods and bads for each model. I am capable of doing minor to intermediate/advanced repairs myself.

How would you compare "Porsche-ness" (purity of driving experience?), maintenance (more DIY vrs. ship it off), investment and of course Value?

Thanks in advance.

T

Last edited by aveale; 10-25-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

For me not even a hint of hesiation .. for the same money get the 86 ...my opinion though , nothing else ...
Old 10-25-2006, 12:31 PM
aveale
Rennlist Member

Cool Cambridge,

Need more input though!

Pls. explain your reply.

T
Old 10-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Not enuff info. for me anyway..but that and and $3.00 still wont get you a cup o' coffee at Starshmucks.. when you say "overhaul"..well, was it done correctly addressing the known issues with these engines or was it just done back to exact fact. specs. with no upgrades?

For me it'd be the '86 hands down.. yeah you might fork out some dollars for synchro's..but as some author once said to the question of "which Porsche should I buy?".. the newest one you can afford.. '86 you are getting more power, better tranny, better ride, higher re-sale value/desireability.. but hey, that's just me..
Old 10-25-2006, 12:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Pretty well Newbie says it all.... my sentiment exactly ... Newer does not allways mean better, but between your 2 choices I think newer IS better. The 86 is still close enough of a road car to feel the car by the seat of your pants. Again it is just my opinion but the 993s I tested although a FANTASTIC car started to feel a little less like what I was used to or what I wanted.

All that to say you can get the same rode "Porshce" feel in both those cars, so why not go for the newer one. I have to qualify this by saying I would do most work on the car myself so the work did not enter the equation.

good luck
Old 10-25-2006, 12:55 PM
aveale
Rennlist Member

Cool,

I should add that this will not be my last 911 type car.

The S seems like such a collectors item!?!?

T
Old 10-25-2006, 12:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Not sure about the collector, but if it is ,, do you plan on driving or collecting ?

I actually read somewhere that the average new Porsche buyer 10 years ago owned about 4.5 porsches before buying his first brand new one. so you are well on your way. With the introduction of the Boxster and Cayenne, I am sure those numbers have now cahnged. I am on number 2 , so only a couple more to go :-)
Old 10-25-2006, 01:11 PM
aveale
Rennlist Member

Exactly!!

I will hope to drive the crap out of each one.

My point is that the S is marginally lighter, more of a collector, slightly less HP, more prone to problems, pretty cool.........but I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE DRIVING or OWNING ONE....and thus my questions.

I appreciate your time family!

T
Old 10-25-2006, 01:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

put it this way aveale... I have a 78sc and love my car .. if you bought the S I would not be jelous.. if you bought the 86 I certainly would be ....

but I am a pretty shallow guy ..

ice
Old 10-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aveale
My point is that the S is marginally lighter, more of a collector, slightly less HP, more prone to problems, pretty cool.........but I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE DRIVING or OWNING ONE....and thus my questions.

I appreciate your time family!

T
Neither the '74 or the '86 will really be collector cars for quite some time yet. The '74 would have to be absolutely mint with low miles in order for it to appreciate as time goes by. With that type of car, you could only drive it sparingly on very nice days to keep the condition excellent and the miles low. The '74 is still a mid year car and no matter how much we love the mid years, they are still saddled with that 2.7 liter motor sigma that doesn't seem to go away. They will always be worth less than the pre impact bumper/long hood cars ('73 and prior) and the 911SC models that followed in 1978.

There were way too many '86 coupes produced for any of them to be much of a collector car until they get to be 30-40 years old. Again, any '86 that reaches collector car status will need to be a low mileage car in concours condition that can't be driven.

The '74 is the best of the mid year cars (1974 to 1977 model years) due to the better exhaust design. However, the '74 is not galvanized/zinc plated, so there is potential for more rust if the car is exposed to severe elements.

Both cars ('74 and '86) are wonderful 911's if they are in good tune and are some of my favorite years. The '74 may give you more problems just due to age. The '86 cars still have lots of old school feel as in it still has the 915 dump truck transmission, manual steering, torsion bar suspension, etc., but will have just a bit of comfort (potential for reliable A/C operation, better seats, etc) to go along with the ride. Plus, it's 12 years newer than the '74.

For a driver type car, I'd choose the '86. Fix the syncros and run 'er.

Jay
90 964, 84 3.2
Old 10-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

Since I own a '74, my best advice would be to drive both cars before making any decisions,...

These are VERY different cars and its an individual call about which one is best for you. I would tell you that the 2.7 is very good but ONLY if its been properly rebuilt and most folks cut too many corners. I would ask who did the motor as that has a big influence on which one you choose.

If this is going to be a daily driver, you should know that the Carrera has better rustproofing.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:10 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

I assume you mean guards red.
My 86 has 290Km and has been bullet proof for the 5 years I've owned it.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:26 PM
aveale
Rennlist Member

Now that is what I am talking about!!

I honestly thought the "S" was more collectible than the Carrera due to volume of production. I guess I was wrong.

I will test drive the "S" (just to say I drove one!!) but my bias is towards the "C".

And yes it is Garnet Red.

Cheers and thanks alot!!

T
Old 10-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For all the folks following along at home:

An example of Ruby Red which is very similar to Garnet Red:

An example of Guards Red:

Old 10-25-2006, 03:48 PM
aveale
Rennlist Member

Yes....it is Ruby red, not Garnet....I obviously don't know my stones.

T

Quick Reply: Decisions Decisions (74 911S or 86 Carrera)