Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.0 w/PMOs on a 67' 901 trans

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:34 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 3.0 w/PMOs on a 67' 901 trans

Hey everybody, does anybody have any experience mating these 2 together? can the 901 take the torque? Is it geared 'properly'? I think all you need to do is change the flywheel and pressure plate to the push type and it should go correct?

Also, if I want to replace the FI with PMOs, do I need to change cams?? If so to what?

Any advice here is greatly appreciated. I am considering selling my 1988 cab and doing the above conversion to my 912. I'm hoping I can start a discussion here that may help me make a decision.

Brgds, Peter
Old 10-19-2006, 07:01 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I have not done it myself, I know others who have. Yes, the 901 can handle the power and torque, but it will be the weaker link. For a few more bucks you might feel better having a 915 in place of the 901. Most applications I have seen with the 901 are in 914's that have upgraded to 3.0 or 3.2 liter motors and even a few 2.8 liter high compression race applications.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by butzip
Hey everybody, does anybody have any experience mating these 2 together? can the 901 take the torque? Is it geared 'properly'? I think all you need to do is change the flywheel and pressure plate to the push type and it should go correct?

Also, if I want to replace the FI with PMOs, do I need to change cams?? If so to what?

Any advice here is greatly appreciated. I am considering selling my 1988 cab and doing the above conversion to my 912. I'm hoping I can start a discussion here that may help me make a decision.

Brgds, Peter
Peter:

The 901 is VERY strained when mated to a 3.2. Its torque rating is simply overwhelmed and the only chance it would have is with the installation of the billet intermediuate plate & side cover, along with a pressurized cooling system. These can be geared to match the power curve of the 3.2.

You may use PMO's with stock or C2 cams with CIS pistons. One must change pistons for any camshafts that are more aggressive.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:23 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

are you going to race it?

I have a 3.2L street car with a 911 (a bit stronger version of the 901) - it is easier to do that than to put a 901 per se on there. I can tell you that it will last at least a couple of years in street use. However, it is not geared right. Also, I kept my 915 ...
Old 10-20-2006, 12:12 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Peter:

The 901 is VERY strained when mated to a 3.2. Its torque rating is simply overwhelmed and the only chance it would have is with the installation of the billet intermediuate plate & side cover, along with a pressurized cooling system. These can be geared to match the power curve of the 3.2.

You may use PMO's with stock or C2 cams with CIS pistons. One must change pistons for any camshafts that are more aggressive.
Ok, that answers one big question. I can then simply remove the FI and replace with carbs, no piston/compression/cam change etc. I've read BA's performance handbook 8 to 10 million times on 3.0 upgrades and he mentions the addition of webers but doesn't go into any other mods to facilitate it. So I didn't want to just assume. the other question is the FW and PP, this is a bolt on deal no?

I'm not against a 915, but I'm very familiar with their quirks. I was never confident in my 83 SC when entering a fast corner and it simply would not engage @ the exact second you need it, it was very inconsistent. My existing 901 5spd shifts beautifully and I never miss a shift. so I prefer to keep it in place. This car runs maybe 3-4 DE a year, the rest is street.

Basically my dilema is I have an 88' carrera cab with a new top / new clutch / new dash / new windshield / new tires / cup IIs very nice shape but the bottom line is I'm splitting resources between 2 cars. The 912 I restored 10 yrs ago is rust free, beautiful paint, rock solid @ any spd, just lacking ponies. Now you're all probably asking why the hell would you go through all this trouble on an old 912???

Because, my Dad bought the car new in 67' and for this reason I will never sell it. As such, I've always had this car and revolving door of 'other' porsches. Until this cab came along, this one is hard to part with since it does everything so well. I've had this car for 6 yrs now and fixed many items on it. Basically I'm getting antsie for a project and the practical side of my brain says, focus on ONE car that will satisfy my early 911 fantasy. So beyond the technical assistance I guess I'm also in search of some emotional guidance.

My name is Peter, and I'm a Porsche Junkie
Old 10-20-2006, 12:55 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the 912 original and drive the carrera. A 912 in the condition you described is worth preserving in it's original. If you must, go out and buy someone else's 912/911 project.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by PC2
Keep the 912 original and drive the carrera. A 912 in the condition you described is worth preserving in it's original. If you must, go out and buy someone else's 912/911 project.
IMHO, that is some REALLY good advice.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:32 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Of course, I've considered this as well. But then what fun would that be? remember the dollar value of the car is irrelevant since I will never sell it while I'm alive and I would like to get away from maintaining 2 cars.

The only irreversible (easily) thing to consider is the relocating of the rear engine mounts. Otherwise, not too much will be altered. Holes for the oil tank, NBD.

I'm going to look @ a donor car tomorrow, a slightly damaged 79' targa for $6500.00. I am willing to offer $4500.00 depending on the condition.

Brgds, Peter
Old 10-20-2006, 05:06 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Exactly. The advice makes sense and is perfectly rational, but does not solve your "getting antsie for a project" condition. For that you will either [1] need to find a therapist, or [2] need to find another car to mess with.

A therapist - esp. in CT - will run you - what? - $330/hour? And afgter you are done, you cannot then resell the therapist with a classified ad somewhere. At least, no tlegally...

So, you are left with #2 -- find another 912 (don't mess up the sentimental car); then take the suspension, brakes, shifter and motor out of the Carrera, also the seats if they are non-elec. and black. Throw the rest away, and install those parts on your 912. You will have a nice hot rod, an engaging project, and will use up large amounts of time. It is probably cheaper than a therapist too.

Quick Reply: 3.0 w/PMOs on a 67' 901 trans