Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Newb learns about his car - the hard way.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 01:21 AM
tj willy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Newb learns about his car - the hard way.

Well, I made a bigtime newbie style discovery today and I just have to tell you guys so you can either laugh OR cry with me. I am betting on the laugh!

I decided to take my door panels off to tighten up and fix the notorius door/window rattle. First the passenger side - no big deal. I fix it and add a little foam around the door lock indicator rod where it comes through the top of the door. I test the lock to make sure it can still travel up and down with any binding. (the rattle ends up being a bass spliter the installer put in when they installed a new sound system for the previous owner. I secure it in the door so it won't rattle around and tighten a few other things up for good measure.)

Then to the driver's side. No rattle, but it is a nice day and I have the time, so I take the door panel off that side. I add the foam and button everything up. I test the door lock (manual ****) and it won't move at all. The locking mechanism seems jammed up. I remove the foam and get the same thing. I put some lithium grease in there and nothing. So, I end up taking off the door handle and inspecting the lock, no problem. I remove the entire door closing/locking mechanism to inspect it.

There, on the ground, I finally "teach" myself that the door MUST BE CLOSED to lock. OMG... This after about an extra 2 hours of troubleshooting. Boy did I feel stupid. I have not seen a car door that would not PHYSICALLY move the lock into locked position with the door open. I have seen them lock THEN unlock automatically or when the door closes but not where the door would not lock at at. Even the older imports I have messed with would lock then unlock with the door closes if the door handle is not pulled open when the door closes.

Boy, did I feel stupid. (did I say that already - lol)

I hope you got a good laugh at this and maybe it made you feel a little better about that mistake you made that you THOUGHT was stupid.

Later guys! (and gals)
Old 10-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Naitove
Instructor

Back in the Sixties, I had a '69 Z28 (I know - why did I sell it?) I thought that I locked my keys in the trunk. Several hours later, after removing the rear seat and accessing the trunk lock from the inside, I got the trunk open only to find out that the keys weren't in it. Where were they? In the driver's door!
Old 10-08-2006, 11:09 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Welcome to smart engineering, German cars make it very dfficult to lock your keys in your car ... and for the life of me I can't understand why north american cars are not that way .. people are to lazy to put the key in and turn I guess.. But to make you feel better I figured out you can lock the drivers door , climb out through the passenger side, lock that side, and have your kes on the seat ..doh !!!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Chas
Pro

lol ice man, I hold up my engine lid the same way!
Old 10-08-2006, 03:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

most systems are fool proof ...not idiot proof ... oh well ... life goes on .. PS I fixed the engine lid last year ,, but my Avatar seams to have stuck :-)
Old 10-08-2006, 05:35 PM
tj willy
Track Day

Lol - don't feel sooooo bad now.

Since the previous owner had a Code Alarm installed when the sound system was replaced, I never use the key to unlock. Just the remote. Adding even more to my confusion...

Why do we Americans need great engineering???? We have OnStar. (lol)
Old 10-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I spent over an hour peering over wiring diagrams trying to figure out why the new horn I just installed would not work...then I realized that the ignition had to be on for it to sound.

Marc
Old 10-09-2006, 12:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I spent over an hour peering over wiring diagrams trying to figure out why the new horn I just installed would not work...then I realized that the ignition had to be on for it to sound.
At least when you were sitting banging your forehead off the steering wheel afterwards no one could hear you with the ignition off :-)
Old 10-09-2006, 02:20 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw

Marc
Reminds of a really funny cartoon I saw in this month's Road & Track (Upper left of page 52, the victim appears to be working on a 356) "Ya know why you're havin' trouble with your electrics? `Cause that diagram you're usin' is a map of Arizona".

Sorry, with the mention of the word `diagram, I couldn't resist.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:51 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw

Marc
My horn works without the key.

Found out when my 5 YO blasted the horn when I was waxing the front bumper
Old 10-09-2006, 06:11 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 88 Carrera works without the key also.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Must be progress.

Marc
Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

My 911 does but my Audi doesn't..

Quick Reply: 911 Newb learns about his car - the hard way.