Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

speedometer repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:11 PM
jaeger86
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default speedometer repair

I was driving my 1986 Cabriolet today and noticed that my speedometer was working but my odometer and trip odometer were not . Any suggestions on where to send for a repair or do I have to buy a new one? Thanks, Curt
Old 10-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Curt: No. Hollywood Speedo (818) 761-5136. They're the best!

Pete
Old 10-04-2006, 02:05 PM
jaeger86
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Pete, I called No Hollywood Speedometer talked to kevin and sent the speedo out today ups. Nice people and a great resource both you and them. Curt
Old 10-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a side note regarding my recent odometer failure:
I had been in/near reno Nevada for about a week during last July. About 2/3 of the way back to Los Angeles, mine stopped turning. Speedo worked, but no mileage.
I looked into the various reasons as to why they most often fail when I returned home. Sometimes the gear is stripped or damaged, but other times the failure is the result of a strange process where the plastic actually leeches out an oil. i suppose the oil content of the plastic helps to prevent it from drying out and crumbling to pieces, but in the 100+ heat of NV, the oil must have caused the gear to spin on the shaft, resulting in an apparent failure.
After 2-3 weeks back in the moderate temps of LA, it began working again without any intervention or repair. I've kept my eyes on it and it hasn't even so much as stuttered since.
That's $200 I can spend elsewhere.
+++
Old 10-05-2006, 12:51 PM
dsmith
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had 2 broken teeth on my gear. i did the ultimate cheap fix for testing. i stuck a piece of a staple in the plyable gear and super glued it. it was enough to catch the worm gear, and worked fine after that. a few months later, i bought the gear and put it in.

Quick Reply: speedometer repair