Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What is a 1966 911 all original car worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 05:39 PM
William D
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jay. When I put your picture and the for sale picture side by side, I can see how the for sale car's horizontal bars don't follow the curve of the deck lid on the two ends. Thanks also for the description of how they are mounted. If they are mounted incorrectly, like these are, are the holes symetrical so that the bars can be easily flipped around to the right orientation. Thanks for the education. Bill Z
Old 10-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I tried again to get into this guy's site - no luck (I use dial-up) - my computer locks up and I have to exit AOL using C A D...
Pete
Old 10-06-2006, 11:27 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter- I don't think the dial up will be able to pull the program, since it loads about 2 dozen thumbnails which you can then click on, or go through a "slideshow". It might load, but take a long time- you may think your computer is locked/frozen, but it may just be downloading the pictures.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by William D
Thanks Jay. When I put your picture and the for sale picture side by side, I can see how the for sale car's horizontal bars don't follow the curve of the deck lid on the two ends. Thanks also for the description of how they are mounted. If they are mounted incorrectly, like these are, are the holes symetrical so that the bars can be easily flipped around to the right orientation. Thanks for the education. Bill Z
I can't swear to it. But, I think they may be. If not, there is also the possibility of redrilling. The old holes would be covered by the sides of the bars.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Andrew: Thank you, I began to suspect that - my old technology can be frustrating occasionally!
Pete
Old 10-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

She sure is a sweet car! Love the color...

Let's see if I can help Peter out a bit so that he can see this gem...

I think the main appeal for a car like this is concours/car show type stuff. This car needs some work yet to be a good concours contender, but the color and rarity (you just don't see many early 911's anymore) will really get a judge's eye.

I too might guess at a value in the $20k to $30k range. I wonder if the performance aspect of these cars might hold them back from what the 1967 and later cars bring...? Would a car like a '70 911T give this car fits in most performance aspects?

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 10-09-2006, 11:25 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Jay- thanks for getting those pictures posted! Peter- see what I mean? Something about this car is so appealing to me....yes it's probably one of the slowest and worst performing 911s, but that's part of the charm (this is coming from someone who loves the speed of a 964, and the speed of a 48 hp VW ) The color is perfect for this non-S 911...with the hubcaps and wood grain!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Andrew,

I agree, she's definitely a gem of a car. Very basic and simple in perfect period colors. This is not a high performance car anymore. Just made for those perfect warm weekend days to cruise in and for headin' to the car show. She makes a timeless statement just sitting there.

Best,

Jay
Old 10-09-2006, 11:59 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew911
Jay- thanks for getting those pictures posted! Peter- see what I mean? Something about this car is so appealing to me....yes it's probably one of the slowest and worst performing 911s, but that's part of the charm (this is coming from someone who loves the speed of a 964, and the speed of a 48 hp VW ) The color is perfect for this non-S 911...with the hubcaps and wood grain!
There's a simple elegance to the early 911 design. Of course there is also
a historical significance to the 1966 cars, they were the first production model
911's imported to the US. My uncle had one. That car left an impression
on me that lives to this day.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:09 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
There's a simple elegance to the early 911 design.
...and if you think about how the gauges, radio placement, cigarette lighter & other switch placement, seating position, etc., etc., etc. had not changed from '65 to '98 is simply amazing.

Looking at the pics again...this car is just gorgeous...
Old 10-10-2006, 01:40 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 356 on steroids!!! I could not resist...I'd love to have this baby in my garage...and it sits beautifully (first pic)...
Old 10-10-2006, 09:57 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I see it the same way Pedro- obviously was a totally new car from the 356 at the time, but it still has early crossover items- hubcaps, wood trim and steering wheel on a 911? While the performance was quickly eclipsed in the next year or two with the S and then the 2.2 cars, it must have been a big step up from the 356- it had 356 Carrera power in the base car, plus a 5th gear and optional dealer installed A/C- what technology!

They have a couple of other beautiful old 911s on that website, but this is the one I like
Old 10-10-2006, 01:42 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Boy oh boy!!!
This brings back some memories!!!
My first Porsche was a 66 911, Sand Beige that I bought in November of 1967 ( I was 18 ) Same color, same interior, except mine had the original black and white wool houndstooth in the seats, which wore out after a year and I replaced it with leather. Same teak dash and steering wheel. Chrome wheels with hubcaps.
I wonder if this COULD be MY CAR???????
I paid $6200 for it at Kendon Porsche in Lomita, CA. That was alot of bones in '67. All my buddies were buying Vettes, Camaro's and Mustang's but I wanted a 911. They all beat me from one stoplight to the next, but when we drove up to Big Bear (mountain) guess who got there first AND who had more fun getting there?
The really early 911s like this one were very tempermental, meaning you could not putter around and let the engine lug down. I had to keep the rpm's up.....WAY up, all the time or a plug would foul. I drove around town in first and second gear alot!
I had it a little over 3 years and the last year I got 6 speeding tickets, two in one day! The Judge threatened to put me in jail if I got one more ticket and told me to sell this car.....NOW! I sold it to a Doctor for $2800.
I had some great times in that car, but I guess between the ages of 18-21 it's easy to have great times in ANY car!

Robert
Old 10-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Great story RJT!

Originally Posted by RJT
I bought in November of 1967...I paid $6200
$6,200 spent in 1967 would be the equivalent of about $36,800 in 2006 dollars.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Jay: Thank you for the pics!!! This car certainly looks like it is worth a PPI! My past includes a 1965 911 (red/black) and a '66 911 (black/black). The red car would stay with '67Ss on the front straight at Willow Springs - I loved winning time trial trophies with that car (it was still fitted with the original Solexs when I sold it). It's next owner had a major accident with that original paint car shortly after I sold it - fortunately she was unhurt but the car was tweaked badly. I lost track of the black car after its next owner moved out of CA. One of my brothers bought a '66 911 (burgundy/black) in about '68 and drove it until he bought his '73 CIS T new in Monterey. One day I came over a hill, in the burgundy car, at about 100 mph, only to find the traffic in front of me at a dead stop because of a highway accident. How I got stopped without hitting anything I still don't know, but I think that day was when I knew that I would drive 911s my entire life.

Yes, plug fouling was a problem on those cars, but adding a CD unit was a simple and not-too-expensive fix (Porsche did this on the Es and Ss in '69, and the Ts from '70 on).

Regarding value - I haven't a clue and wouldn't even venture a guess after discovering during a PPI that the car is truly the real deal. I don't think many of these cars exist today, but looking at those silver w/wiper arms and blades, and the plastic vent, under the inside of the rear window, for the rear defroster, all bode well. The car's posture appears to be good, and it's a real treat to see that no one has added alloy wheels!
Pete

Quick Reply: What is a 1966 911 all original car worth?