Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What event set the hook for your first Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:26 PM
TSeck
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What event set the hook for your first Porsche?

For me, I had a college roommate that had a 72 911S (Silver/Black sunroof delete) and we spent one afternoon chasing two young ladies in a new yellow 442 all the way down to Ocean Reef Yacht Club. She had that thing floored and could pull up next to us, that is until my roommate dropped back to 4th, and waved Oh, and the final blow was returning from the Keys several months later after a PCA DE event in the pouring rain, racing fellow members all the way back to Miami......
Old 09-19-2006, 05:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I have done that Keys to Miami run ... quite dangerous with lots o cops..
Old 09-19-2006, 08:14 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Birth.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the "final blow" was going to be something completely different...

I can't pinpoint a single event. It was just the rare sighting of a Porsche while growing up in Tulsa, OK that turned me on. Never knew anyone that had one, and never rode in one until I bought my Boxster many, many years later.

Brett
Old 09-19-2006, 10:23 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

When I was a kid I always loved the shape of the 911, my favorite slotcar for my racetrack that I got for X-mas was a 930. Even got to drive the blue 911 that appeared in the movie "Office Space" (I am currently trying to locate that car).

Fast forward to when I was 19, bought my first Porsche - a 944S - been downhill ever since.........
Old 09-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Dan Rufer
Advanced

About 5 years ago, I attended a Ferrari DE event at Summit Point, W.V. as a bystander. I was told that maybe I could hitch a ride with someone at some point in the day. I saw a street stock 1997 Porsche C4S waiting in the wings for his run group. I asked the gentleman if at some point in the day he would offer me a ride. He said jump in. I suited up and held on. Between his driving ability and that of the all wheel drive C4S, he picked everybody off. I climbed up on the back of everyone and got past. I was holding on for dear life. The standard seats were a little slippery. And I was straining to keep out of his way for shifting. Then my helmut started closing in on me. I started getting a little too warm. I started losing my equilibrium. I was going south fast. I did not know how to tell the driver that I was getting motion sick. About the time that I was going to pass out, the checkered flag flew (before something else flew). When the driver parked, I took a good 5 minutes to exit the car. Then I crawled to anything that would support me. Then I skipped lunch. It was shortly after that when I got my own 911 and started to chase others on the track. Ride anyone?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:37 PM
wholberg
Advanced

In 1988 I was looking for a new sports car. I liked the Pontiac Fiero GT, which was small, handled well and was pretty fast. On a lark, I test drove a 10 year old 78 911SC with 22K miles on it. It blew me away and I bought it the next day.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The year was 1977 and an friend invited me over to his house to see his car colection. I was an Austin Healy 3000 guy at the time. I saw his beautifull 1972 911. Asked him if he would take me out for a ride in it. 4 days latter I bought a 1968 coupe and the rest is history. I have owned a dozen Porsche cars over the years. Started in a 911 and although I have owned many other models the early 911's (meaning pre 89) are still my pick.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:05 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I wanna here Pete's "used 911 story" :-)
Old 09-20-2006, 12:26 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

When I was about 10 or so my neighbor had a '77 930 that he would take me for rides in it sometimes. Man those were some fun rides! He was probably about 6'4" he barely fit in the car but he didn't care, he'd had it since new and loved it. He'd reach some amazing cornering speeds on the twisty backroads near my house. I had always loved the shape and sound of 911s, but that was the first hook.

The REAL hook was when I went to the San Francisco auto show at Moscone Center in '94, when they introduced the 993 in the US. Man, the lines were so clean, the car looked awesome, but what really got me was reading the brochure on the way home. The pictures were beautiful, but the text was pure poetry to me, this company seemed to GET IT! Everything was designed for the purpose of high performance and driving pleasure, and they made a huge point out of how the cars were hand built and not for everyone. Even at the tender age of 11 I understood this to be a big deal and this set Porsche apart from everyone else. I got a bunch of Porsche books, learned their history, how great of a racing history they had, and I haven't looked back since!

Now I am living the dream, I work on Porsches for a living, from '50s 356s all the way thru new 997s and get to drive em all! Great thread, lets hear more stories.

---Chris
Old 09-20-2006, 01:31 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

I went to the Porsche Clash at The Glen 8 or 9 years ago. Free spectator tickets from a buddy who knew I loved racing. I spent two days watching these guys fly around the track in cars that looked remarkably like the ones I'd seen drive by my house Friday night with tires tied to the roof. The quest to own one of these great cars that is as capable a track car as a street car began at that point.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:26 AM
RedShadow
Instructor

Default Hooks

First nibble - I always had Matchbox cars as a kid and had a 928 with fancy stripes running down it. Something about that shape as a 4 year must have tickled my fancy as it never left my hand.

Second nibble - when I was about 9 my father's friend bought a 944 and gave the brochures to my dad to give to me. Inside was a rear view picture of a 911 turbo. Something about that photo snapped something in my brain. I still have it and there's something almost sinister about it. The car seems to have a menace about it - "Don't mess with me".

Third nibble - in my early 20s I'd kept a passing interest in older Porsches (the 3.2 will always be the definitive shape for me) I browsed prices on a website and suddenly realised I could afford one. Bug bit HARD then. Ever since it's been nothing but Porsche. Porsche. Porsche.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:32 PM
nixtfy
Advanced

I have always been a german car enthusiast. My first car was a volkswagen Dasher and from there the first car I purchased for myself was a 1986 bmw 325es and along the way I have had both 3 and 5 series including the m3. All along I have gone to the track and the m3 offered everything, but was too forgiving at the track. I kind of was just attracted to the pure sports car feel of the sc and the skill level it requires to drive it right. The shape of the car came second to me which really is ahead of it's time being a 1978 which looks much newer. I wash the 911 and the shape is certainly timeless.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always remembered loving the shape of the 911 since I was a very young kid. There just weren't many 911's around my area when I was young, but the few I saw, I would just stare at it.

The real clincher was when I was 16 (1986) and was following a silver 911 (most likely a 2.7 liter car) on a local road. There was a car in front of him going slow and the driver of the 911 pulled out to pass. He shifted down, the 911 squat down, the rev's rose and the 911 shot around that leading car and tucked back in front in our lane again. Just watching and hearing that artwork of a car pull out, squat down, pass and then tuck back in was the deciding moment in my life when I knew I would own a Porsche. I still travel on that same stretch of road and will never forget that simple event that started everything.

Fast forward to when I was 18 and bought a Subaru wagon from an attorney in my local town. Turns out he was the one that owned the silver 911 I saw two years prior. I asked him more questions about the 911 that he had (he just down played it as an old '74 that wasn't much) than about the Subaru I was buying from him!

My first test drive in an '87 911 was extremely disappointing. I only got to take this car at low speeds through a subdivision. I was really let down. A year later, I finally had enough cash to buy a '88 911 that was at a local dealer. They let me take the car out on my own and just opening up that car on the freeway was the point of no turning back for me. I ended up not buying that car, but picked up my first 911 up a few months later after searching for a bit longer for the right car.

I've got two 911's now and my brother caught the bug in '97. He's got 3 of 'em now (just picked up a '70 T). These damn things are addicting...

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 09-20-2006, 03:52 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

1994. I was in the Air Force, stationed at Travis Air Force Base, CA. There was a girl I was interested in at the time with long flowing hair and other assets that one likes to have in a girl they are attracted to. I'll never forget...oh, whatever her name was. Anyway, I had asked her out on a date, dinner and a movie, that type of thing and she said no. She could not go on a "date" with me as she was driving over to Bodega Bay, CA to go surfing (instant 10 points on coolness factor right there). She asked if I would like to come along, but she would get to drive. I said sure. Saturday morning I get a knock on the door and there she is. We head out to her car and low and behold, it was a Porsche 914. I had never seen a Porsche up close (I come from a small town of 3000 people, Lake Chelan, WA) and thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Most of my attention turned to the car at that point. I wanted one. I wanted the top off. On the car too! It gripped the road and took corners much differently than my Toyota Tercel! It was awesome. She let me drive it briefly and that firmed it up for me. I have since had 2 914's and 2 911's. Oh and the girl? She ended up being half crazy, but I do credit her with my obsession.

Quick Reply: What event set the hook for your first Porsche?