Jay at Parts-Werks and Garrity are no good

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 01:19 PM
tinman944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Jay at Parts-Werks and Garrity are no good

E-mail me before you buy from either of these guys I will send what they did for us and then you can deside if you should buy form them
Old 03-25-2002, 11:30 PM
Dean
Instructor

I'll second that.
Dean
Old 03-25-2002, 11:43 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can someone tell me what these guys have done? They have been great to me. I don't work for them and don't know them personally. But I have bought several parts from them for excellent prices, they are very responsive to my emails and I have even had a very painless return for a part I did not end up needing. I've seen a lot about them on this and the Pelican board. What's the problem with them and how bad could they be? I'd think any parts supplier would try extra hard to curry favor with Rennlist and Pelican folks. I have to say they have been great to me and I'll keep buying from them until I experience otherwise.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:21 AM
Colby
2nd Gear

I have been by their location a few times now for parts. My unbiased opinion (they are not my friends, and I don't work for them) are:

1) They have a TON of stuff. I mean a HUGE warehouse full of everything. I could spend a whole weekend sifting through the piles of Porsche stuff and probably spend a pile of cash in the process.

2) Unfortunately, "they have piles of stuff" is right on. They are not very organized; everything is strewn about.

3) They mean well, and are good, honest people...they've just bitten off more than they can chew. They are selling a lot of little odds and ends on Ebay, plus handling phone orders, and walk-ins. They run this out of their home; their garage is a mid-way point for stuff going out, with the warehouse being the main location for everything. They are so busy, but there really is only 3-4 ppl over there (family members). It is a family outfit but w/ a lot of good stuff to be had.

So, if you're looking for a hard to find used part, they likely have it. Or if you're looking for a common item (new or used), they also likely have it. Keep on them, be patient, and if something goes wrong I expect they'll work with you. Twice now I've been up there for a heat duct and they "had it", only to not be able to find it when I get there. Frustrating, yes. But it's no big deal; I got other stuff for a great price while I was there. Some day he'll find my heat duct (at least it's the passenger side that gets no heat...hehehe).

Colby
Old 03-27-2002, 12:23 AM
Dean
Instructor

Rick,

I bought a CDI box from Jay. I also bought an airflow meter gasket. The gasket took 5 weeks to get. I gave up waiting for Jay and ordered it from Porsche. Porsche got it to me in 3 days. I called Jay to see what happened with the gasket delay, he said that he was doing me a favor with these small parts and that he didn't think I was in a hurry for it.
The CDI box was no good. He would not return my money. He offered to rebuild it. I said no way, I don't want to wait for it. I just wanted my money back. He then accused me of being a dead beat customer like the one that wanted a return after 5 years.
So I have a $400 credit with him. I have called 3 times trying to buy different parts and he never has the parts that I need.
Maybe you can get my $400 back from Jay.
I feel like we have a little Porsche community here. If there are a few people that have a problem with a vendor. I would not buy from that vendor.
Dean
Old 03-28-2002, 10:43 AM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too have had my problems with Partwerks. I needed a 3.2 motor in a hurry when I blew mine last summer (track events to go to). Jay had a "mint" one very low miles (27-30K something like that for top dollar. I buy it with the expectation that he'll ship it out in a day or two. Instead it went something like this:
Wait.
I Call "Any day now"
Wait.
I Call "Any day now"
Wait.
Me: "Where's the motor? I see you've charged my credit card some weeks ago."
Jay: "I didn't realize you were in a hurry." (This seems reasonable until you find out that he tells this to other people too.)
Come to find out Jay doesn't even have the motor. He is getting it from someplace else. The other place eventually ships it and it is simply horrible (I have lots of pictures.) Judging from the way the black plastic has been bleached white I think it has been a static display outside for ~10yrs. Everything is corroded. Tin is rusted. Hoses cracked or broken off. IMO all Partwerks really cares about is getting your money and they loose interest after that. They also didn't have the money to refund my money until the guys they bought it refunded them money. "Oh I spent it." is no way to do business. I eventually got my money but I had to buy another motor before I got my money back.
man this is putting me in a bad mood,
Chris
"serenity now, serenity now,..."
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (12-01-2020)
Old 03-28-2002, 02:39 PM
KLehmann
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Chris Bennet:
<strong>"serenity now, serenity now,..."</strong><hr></blockquote>

Chris, that only bottles up the anger and then you end up trashing every computer in sight! Try hoochiemama.

Seriously, I agree with the opinions about PartWerks here. Never dealt with them myself, but read similar posts like the above. Also, my good friend Mark contacted them about some things. He is one of those fellas that knows the right questions to ask. My interpretation of his speaking with them is that he'd only deal with them as a last resort.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:17 PM
gregm
Intermediate

If this is in reference to Parts Works of Chicago, I too was less than satisfied with thier service.
I purchased a set of Solex cams from them. Thes were total garbage, rusty and definitely worn out. When I tried to return them I was told how much work he had done in removing them from the car etc.
He did allow me to return them for credit, but said he never recieved them. UPS was able to help in this matter as did my credit card company.
He next put in a claim against the RPS driver who delivered them to me, saying he lost them.
I would never purchase any thing from them again.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:52 PM
gregm
Intermediate

Now that I have vented on Parts Werks, I would like to say that DC Automotive, Oklahoma Foreign, and Dan Petchel are excellent sources for used parts. I fell that they are honest and fairly price the parts that they sell. I would recomend doing business with any of them.
Old 04-02-2002, 06:39 AM
tyler
Advanced

with all of the decent vendors out there, it sounds like no one should do business with these guys, they sound like criminals to me

thanks for the heads up...i sure don't like spending my hard earned cash only to get jerked around for misrepresented stuff

i will tell my PCA club about this and hopefully if enough people complain some of the guys might get their money back or maybe they just might go out of business
Old 04-24-2003, 03:18 AM
206aa
2nd Gear

I have had nothing but grief dealing with Jay and Partwerks. They took forever to send the parts which ended up being a partial shipment. They did not return email or phone calls, was told many times that parts would ship immediatly, etc. . Not worth dealing with in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:55 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Geeze, I feel badly for you guys. Isnt there something that you can do to shut those guys down? Class action lawsuit... fraud charges.... BBB complaints?
Old 04-24-2003, 01:04 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone delt with "Parts Heaven" for used parts. Looking for a used protective plate or belly pan #91134116104 for an '86 911. It's the plate that protects the steering rack and covers/attaches the front sway bars. I just hate used parts guys unless you are there to look at the part. Any input is appreciated.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:12 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim-
the guys at Parts Heaven are great - I'm local to them and have always found them to be responsive and on the up and up.
You can also try EASY in Emeryville, CA. Ask for Spencer or Jim.
EASY
4060 Harlan Ave, Emeryville
Old 04-24-2003, 09:46 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had good luck with Parts Heaven also - either walk up or mail order. Very friendly and even stayed open late to help with a faulty turn signal.

Joe

Quick Reply: Jay at Parts-Werks and Garrity are no good