MSD wire from distrubutor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:28 PM
nine11cab/sc
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD wire from distrubutor?

Hello

Can anyone help me? I have installed a MSD unit 6al on my 82SC but I can't seem to understand where the green wire coming out of my disturbutor goes to on my MSD unit. Is it the white wire or is it the green and black/purple wire.

Thanks Lorenzo
Old 08-23-2006, 11:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

didn't e have his exact question a couple of weeks ago ? might want to try a search , I thik the person went to the msd websight or called a number or something.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:36 PM
nine11cab/sc
8th Gear

Yes did a search and called msd but they are not familiar or least the guy I spoke with on Porsche installs.
Nice Hockey stick, I grew up in Toronto Great pic the two passions I cherish (HOCKEY & MY PORSCHE) thanks for the reply.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

That's no hockey stick , that's my ultra light hi tech re-enforcement engine cooling modification .. the funny thing is it is a Bauer stick and I live in Hespeler.. ouch !

PS did you try Pelican , that is a fast moving board with a ton of hits. I bit too intimidating for me but a great resource.

I also considered the MSD when I saw it in my 101 projects book. Why the change ? did your old ignition module fail or are you just looking to upgrade ? I couldn't justify the cost given my existing box works fine.

gotta get yourself a good Avatar.... and post some pics of the machine..

ice
Old 08-23-2006, 11:47 PM
nine11cab/sc
8th Gear

I was having problems with my CIS and after spending over 1,000 on warm up regulators cold start valve etc I decided to install PMO's and then saw the article on 101 MSD and opened a can of worms. Its so nice to have a car that pay insurance on and havn't driven in the last 6 months. I went to Pelican, google search, and MSD tech web site. Still baffled.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

oh crap that sucks.. we have to be able to do something .. there must be somebody runing the MSD. who can answer your question. Thereis somebody on this form I am pretty sure can help but I just can't remember his handle. his avatar is for some type of diagnostic and he is pretty sharp on this stuff. where did the green wire go to before / i Imaine it is some sort of low side ignition pulse. My bently doesn't even show a green wire. there is a black that goes to the ignition coil and some kind of shielded coax that goes to the inition unit 7 and 31D
Old 08-24-2006, 12:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

is this not what you are looking for ? from what i read below it goes to the white wire..

Other Connections:

The wiring of the MSD unit is well illustrated in the excellent manual which accompanies the unit, but for the record:

Red wire: Red wire formerly on + side of coil Also connect to one side of 8910 tach adapter (use splicer in kit to attach directly to red wire)

Black wire: - side of coil

Orange wire: + side of coil

White wire: (green) wire from points, wire from tach (black/purple). (You can fashion a one to two wire adapter or use a splice co! nnector here) Also connect other side of 8910 tach adapter (use splicer in kit to attach directly to white wire)

When attaching these wires, I recommend sticking with the connectors already in place and using jumpers to make the female-to-female connections. In the event of an unlikely failure of the MSD unit, it is a trivial matter to drop back to standard spark but reconnecting the red coil wire (+), green point wire (-), and black/purple tach wire (-) back onto the coil and drive off.
PS . Whole article

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...SD_install.htm
Old 08-24-2006, 12:47 AM
nine11cab/sc
8th Gear

Hey Guy,

I can't thank you enough for your effort. My issue is the green wire that comes out of the disturbutor. It leads to the Cd unit plug, according to your instructions I understand that the green wire goes to the white wire coming out of the MSD unit. Once again thanks a bunch
Old 08-24-2006, 03:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

it looks like it fastens to both using a 2 to 1 connector. Check the link I put at the bottom and read the whole article.

Quick Reply: MSD wire from distrubutor?