Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

$20 grand and looking for advice on how to spend it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006 | 10:57 PM
Glas482
Intermediate

Default $20 grand and looking for advice on how to spend it.

Hello all. New to the 911 fourm. Due to a new job and a bonus I will have an extra 15 or 20 thousand and have decided it's time to do something for myself.
I want a 911. I was thinking of a Boxster (mostly for the drop top and I could get a much newer car) but have decided to go with the classis. I will look for a targa. Don't really like th look of the full drop top 911's. Anyway with my limited funds and knowledge I thought I would ask for some advice on what would be a good fit. This is what I know I want/don't want so far.

It won't be a daily driver but will get a fair amount of use during the spring, summer and fall.

I don't like the big spoiler (whale tail) look or the Turbo look bodys. Why mess with a great design. Actually I saw a 1969 with chrome trim and wheels that was beautiful.

It would be fun to be able to some of the maintenance myself and would love to take it to a DE or track and while I have no illusions of being the top dog don't want to embarrass myself either. As far a driving goes I'm probably rather sedate in the Porsche field but that may change.

Oh, the targa is not a deal breaker. Just want to ge the best fit for me.

Any ideas, thoughts or advice. And if you say you're out of your league buy a 944 that's cool too. The turbos are very ecomonical and fun to drive.

Thanks
Matthew
Old 08-07-2006 | 01:50 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

A good Carrera (1984-1989) can be had for that money, and depending on how you like the 1990-1994 964 model, you could get into one of them with some patience. The 964 had an improved engine, suspension, brakes and aerodynamics -- but some people aren't fans of its body styling.

The early cars (pre-1974) don't have the accordion bumpers and have the longer hood. A lot of people think they're the best looking of the 911 litter, but their prices have been shooting up lately. Still, there are some out there for sub 20K.

The 1974-1989 are probably what most people think of when they think 'Porsche 911,' and the Carrera was the final iteration of that look. 1987-89 models have a better transmission than 1984-86 had. But at this age, the condition of the car is generally going to be more important than particular model differences.

Read Peter Zimmerman's book for a good overview. And don't buy a 911 without getting the seller to agree to a pre-purchase inspection before the deal is closed. There are some problems with 911's that can be very expensive to fix, and even the 1989 cars are now 17 years old.
Old 08-07-2006 | 03:45 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Default $20k = 17K + maintenance

I put money down on a 1988 Targa for about $17k. This car is in really very good shape, but I didn't know that until I drove about 4 SC's and 3 3.2's. The point is, drive as many as you can and you will soon see what a good car is. Shop around, this is a buyers market for anything 1978-1989.

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
A good Carrera (1984-1989) can be had for that money, and depending on how you like the 1990-1994 964 model, you could get into one of them with some patience. The 964 had an improved engine, suspension, brakes and aerodynamics -- but some people aren't fans of its body styling.

The early cars (pre-1974) don't have the accordion bumpers and have the longer hood. A lot of people think they're the best looking of the 911 litter, but their prices have been shooting up lately. Still, there are some out there for sub 20K.

The 1974-1989 are probably what most people think of when they think 'Porsche 911,' and the Carrera was the final iteration of that look. 1987-89 models have a better transmission than 1984-86 had. But at this age, the condition of the car is generally going to be more important than particular model differences.

Read Peter Zimmerman's book for a good overview. And don't buy a 911 without getting the seller to agree to a pre-purchase inspection before the deal is closed. There are some problems with 911's that can be very expensive to fix, and even the 1989 cars are now 17 years old.
Old 08-07-2006 | 08:07 AM
H2NO
Instructor

Default 17k seems a bit low - at least in the NY/NJ area

I have seen very few 87-89 cabrios at 17k and they are in need of a lot of work. I think you need to get into the 22k range before you find a decent one.
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:39 AM
art
Pro

I'd say to consider a 944, not because you're out of any league, but because they are awesome cars! You can bank the leftover money for old age and you'll save lots of money on gas. It's such a useable car that you will probably have more fun and go more places with it. I miss mine.
Old 08-07-2006 | 11:13 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

My advice is to find the nicest 911 you can for $15K and bank the $5K for later "usage". Like this - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=294998

Targa's have their following but i'm not part of it. Coupes don't leak and are better track cars out of the box, but that's just me..
Old 08-07-2006 | 12:52 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

To defend the targas, they are stiffer than a cabrio - but give you the chance to have a drop-top/occasional DE car. As a former owner, I am completely hooked. One often undiscussed advantage is the tremendous visibility out of the rear windows when the top is up or down. I agree with Gary that you should spend $15K, and save $5K for unforseen maintenance that no doubt will blind side you... And a PPI is a MUST!

Enjoy your search!

-B
Old 08-07-2006 | 02:03 PM
Slotcar
Advanced

I'm local...be glad to offer any advice.
Old 08-07-2006 | 07:24 PM
racer
Drifting

You could buy my SC! Listed here on Rennlist (1978 SC, #32 or 33 as of right now) in the 911 section! A bit shameless, I know, but you gotta start looking somewhere!
Old 08-07-2006 | 07:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I'm guessing that you're like a lot of people. Always wanted a Porsche and now in a position to get one. Do yourself a favor. Study the 911 first. Begin by buying a few books on them (see Peter Zimmerman's collection of books) and learn about the differences about them. There is a valid reason why we always recommend the newest 911 that you can afford. In those days, each year brought forth internal changes for the most part,--no the typical external stuff the US car market does. These internal changes are often significant. Things like when they went from dual batteries to a single; when they began to zinc galvanize the entire body; when they enlarged the air conditioner ducts and flow for much better air flow; the introduction of oil fed tensioners; the elimination of potention air box explosions, etc. Only a book will do you any good.

Keep in mind that there are many excellent cars out there. They should all have suitable histories. You need to know that history. Were services performed? Was the engine overhauled? Why? when? By whom?

I often recommend that you start by looking at cars offered by other Porsche enthusiasts,--like members of the Porsche Club of America. (There are a few stinkers in there, however).

Take your time. it's like anything. You should become an informed buyer before you leap.
Old 08-07-2006 | 11:22 PM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Lots of great advice. I would consider buying a 98 Boxster and a 944 project car. Kill two birds with $20k and have plenty of good times learning both cars on the roads and at the track.
Old 08-08-2006 | 02:44 PM
Glas482
Intermediate

Hello again all. Just wanted to say thanks for all the good advice. I appreciate everyone being so willing to share thier knowledge and expirence. Looking at the cars with a more serious eye now I'm feeling like the targa tops interrupts the smooth, sleek design and look of the car. Hell the top on my head burns when I'm in the sun too much anyway. I have a lot of reserch to do and I have to say just reading and dreaming about it is pretty exciting. I'll keep the fourm posted.
Thanks again
Matthew
Old 08-09-2006 | 12:59 AM
BReyes
Racer

Drive several before putting money down on one. There many different types of cars-with different feel- therefore I would not recommend you get the first one you find. They are easy to buy and not so easy to maintain (not so easy on your pocketbook). If they are kept up your costs may be reasonable. So finding one with proper maintenance is the key, and the pre purchase inspection witl let you know what you can expect to spend on future maintenance. There will be maintenance.

Depending on your personality, you can find nice examples of the different genre's.

Driving skills are an important factor too.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2006 | 08:56 PM
dbm911
Track Day

Glas482- If you reconsider the drop top, I know where a very nice 1985 911 Carrera Cabriolet can be found- Around $19,500. My brother is selling his, 73k original miles, he is the 2nd owner, new top, all records- If interested, just let me know and I will provide a contact number-

Dave
Old 08-30-2006 | 11:07 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

btdt50 - I think this shows just how prices differ in different locations. Granted, there is always someone selling their car and they say it's in excellent condition, only to find that it is beat up pretty badly. On the other hand, I looked at some great examples in the $17k-19k range and was pleasantly suprised. I think the 3.2's are a buyer's market right now in my area. People should seriously think about spending a week in Chicago, test driving some cars, picking one out (w/PPI) and drive it back to NY/NJ. They will save about $3k for the same car.

Quick Reply: $20 grand and looking for advice on how to spend it.