Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How did you guys finally wear down your wife to get the 911?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 10:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I actually told my wife to pick her battles .. and don't pick this one ,,, she didn't and we both enjoy the car .. actually she enjoys that I am out in the garage all the time fixing it .. hmmmmm
Old 06-17-2006, 10:29 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I have 79 Jeep Wagoneer that I have 80% restored. This thing has cost me an arm and a leg and my wife knows it. I don't regret a dime because I love the project. Problem is my wife is auto savvy and knows what vehicles cost to maintain. My wife is also German and knows that Porsche = much dinero to maintain....

However she did tell me today "when (being the key word) you get one of those ugly cars you better buy me something really nice."

So within a week’s time I have gone from "over my dead body" to "you better buy me something really nice."

I am making positive traction here.

Thanks for the support guys. I am glad I am not alone.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Dennis in SE PA
Advanced

All 3 Porsches that I bought while I was married did not involve permission from my wife. I just yesterday came home with an '87 Targa. She is happy about it. It's all in the way you break them in.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:18 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a good old 911 used as a typical driver costs no more (or less) to maintain than any similar car of similar vintage. however, there are alot of old, tired 911s, & they can cost a good bit to make good - so don't buy a bad one. a good used 911 (of the mid 60s to late 80s) has finished depreciating - other aspects will determine the cost of ownership & "investment" quality.

seems to me your wife has issues about your happiness & desires that aren't amenable to rational decision. can't help you there, good luck.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:48 AM
Super_Dave_D
Advanced

Ya things just kept getting in the way like kids and buying a home to live in and buying new daily drivers. Hell I'm glad I have my wife to keep me in check. She's my voice of reason else i'd be driving a P-car and living in a shack.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:14 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I bought an e45 M3, which she hated.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:08 AM
KCPSG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wheatdog
I didn't ask my wife. I told her. I work serious OT to afford my toys and all my retirement investment options at work are maxed out in addition to putting some more in outside accts. I'm not rich but my Porsche addiction is not causing any financial hardship. Yea, I've spent some serious money on my Carrera but I bust my A$$ to pay for it cash up front and I do all my own work which saves mucho $$$$. It puts a huge smile on my face every time I go for a ride, upgrade same and DE. I don't hang in bars, chase strange stuff or lie to her about where I'm at or what I'm doin'. If she wants to find me, I'm in the garage. She's pretty much in agreement although the cost of that 3.6 Vram and the 930 brakes did raise an eybrow (sold the harley to cover that one). You only go around once and this makes me happy.

Wheatdog
Exactly what I had to say ..word for word...except for the 3.6 v-ram and the 930 brakes that is.

oh yah I'm not married -yet- but in a long long live in relationship...she knows that I work my but off for what we have. so no problems
Old 06-18-2006, 08:19 PM
danoberer
Instructor

Default Just do it!

My 89 targa has been reliable and quite affordable! If you can reasonably afford it then just do it! Your wife needs to understand - what if it were the other way around? My 911 has been such a joy in my life - "therapy on wheels" as me and my buddy call 911s. Good luck!

Wait a minute....did she call 911s ugly?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:11 PM
AaronR968
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GF wants to buy a race car! I will not have to worry about what porsche i can get. ohh ya and she is pre med!
Old 06-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by emcon5
You start by marrying a woman who isn't a control freak......

Tom
+1
The right woman will want you to have a 911.
-Chris
Old 06-19-2006, 12:57 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife (then girlfriend) insisted that I BUY my first 911. I was the one sitting on the fence and she was the one that pushed me and the selling party to get the car sold to me.

She didn't give a crap when I sold the 1st one and bought a 964.

I just bought another '84 911 to go along side the 964. My wife did the wire transfer and maybe was more excited than I was when Intercity Lines showed up with the car. She took all the pics at delivery, etc.

When I was looking for another 911 to add to the collection, all she required was that it wasn't Guards Red. That's about it. I'm responsible enough to insure that our financial situation was not degraded at all when I bought this latest 911.

If your spouse isn't on board with your life passions (within reason), you've got other issues...

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 06-19-2006, 09:44 AM
danoberer
Instructor

ps - my 911 is worth the same or more today c/w what I payed in 2000.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you kidding? She wanted it as bad as I did! That is why I married her!
Old 06-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Originally Posted by yumyum1667
Sounds like we are in the same boat. I have 79 Jeep Wagoneer that I have 80% restored. This thing has cost me an arm and a leg and my wife knows it. I don't regret a dime because I love the project. Problem is my wife is auto savvy and knows what vehicles cost to maintain. My wife is also German and knows that Porsche = much dinero to maintain....
Couple of comments. You've put "an arm and a leg" in to a '79 Jeep? Maybe your own track record is exactly what your wife is talking about! I can see her point. First a you've spent more in repairs on your Jeep than the value of the truck itself, now you are thinking about a Porsche where the parts have quite a premium over the Jeep's parts. Maybe she's worried about your financial sense and control, and that you are about to open an even bigger pit and do it all over again!

My '73 911 has been close to flawless and has cost me very little over the years. For the sake of your marriage and your bank account, I would strongly suggest buying a low mileage, tight, unmolested 911 that you've had a top quality PPI done - and if you can't afford that kind of 911, to wait until you can. Sometimes a marriage is more important than a car. (Of course, that's easy for me to say with a 356, 911 and Boxster and a wife - but MAN was she pissed when that 356 showed up!)
Old 06-19-2006, 12:31 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

"... was she pissed when that 356 showed up!"
did she calm down after reviewing the market trends in Excellence & Sports Car Market?

Quick Reply: How did you guys finally wear down your wife to get the 911?