Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How did you guys finally wear down your wife to get the 911?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:40 PM
JBO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are a househusband and she pays the bills you are at her mercy. If she is a housewife like mine and you pay all the bills, then you should get what you want. If you both work full time and both pay the bills, then you will need to hone your negotiating skills .
Old 06-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
"... was she pissed when that 356 showed up!"
did she calm down after reviewing the market trends in Excellence & Sports Car Market?
I know a few investments I have are doing a heck of a lot worse than if I had money in a 356! The next best investment is the early 911's...
Old 06-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Bill Davis
Advanced

Start off w\ something cheap around $12k or so. Thats what I did and now 6 cars later I am in a '01 TT. Just keep bringing them home w\o asking her permission. What can she do after the fact.

Bill
Old 06-19-2006, 02:21 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

I told the Werewife I was thinking about buying a Corvette. She went ballistic and INSISTED that I get a Porsche. Since it made her happy, I agreed. We are now happily shopping for a 996 - together.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:48 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

In my case, it's call the "Equivalent Exchange". I buy my Porsches and give her something of equivalent value. That's another reason why I can't afford any newer Porsches.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my first before i met my wife. Now she knows that i will always have one.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:47 AM
m491driver
Advanced

Told her if find a low mileage '85 Turbolook coupe that I would take her on a cruise. Drove into the driveway July 5, 2005 and here we are on a cruise three weeks later. It's all about planning. Now she helps me back it onto ramps in the garage, holds the light for me while I crawl underneath, and when she can't find me the garage is always the first place she looks.
Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Ron Dent
Track Day

I wanted to buy a '78 Targa from a friend of mine. The wife said "No". Some days later. A commercial came on the TV for the new Boxster. It showed the starting price. I looked at her an said " Pay me now or pay me later. I will have one." I bought the Targa the next day for $8000.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:47 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one when I first met my wife (wife number 2!) but sold it before we got married.
When we sorted our house out she bought me the one I have now!
Generous and beautiful. How lucky am I???
Old 06-21-2006, 11:15 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Hmmmm -- I am "the wife" (glomming onto "the husband's" moniker) and I suggest that you have her drive it. Explain the opportunity to join a thoroughly supportive and fun community and learn to handle a machine such as a 911. This is more of a hobby than just sheer car ownership. Join the PCA and do things together (social events, concours, treks, rallies) where she can meet other women who are excited about the marque.

There is an intellectual side of driving that may appeal to her. Women think about this topic differently than men. The full-press speed and testosterone approach will leave her cold. Counter her fears of potential injury and property damage with promises of receiving instruction; a great way to back into DE if you are interested (but warn her first before you turn up with a fire extinguisher and a $500 helmet). Learning to handle and work with the weight differential and responsiveness (as opposed to "look hon, how fast it goes") with an emphasis on safety and skill may make more sense to her. Try to explain it more than just using the common male whine, "I want a 911".

Cost issues are interesting and much different than other cars, esp. new Japanese cars. Providing that you take car of it, and maybe even learn to do some of the service yourself (anything wheel and brakes are great weekend tasks), a more classic model has already gone through its depreciation and you can almost always recover your purchase price. Make sure that you scope out a good P-car mechanic and develop a relationship with them. Sure, these cars cost a bit to service but the right mechanic, who treats her like a member of the club and not "the wife", will frankly make her feel less alienated from the project.

There is a lot of international chatter about the sex lives of Porsche-owning males. These allegations are not true for the folks who share the experience. Assure her that the purchase will not necessitate an extension (no Virginia, it doesn't shrink when the car is delivered).

But have her drive it. These cars get a whole lot less ugly when you are behind the wheel.

Then again, in my family the first P-car was my suggestion (2003 Box S -- still brings a smile to the husband's face whenever he drives it), the 2nd and 3rd were track cars (the husband introduced me to the pleasures of a 993 with monoballs and a chip) and the 4th we both heartily agreed on (#3 of 50 -- 997 Carrera S Club Coupe). We have an excellent mechanic who I look forward to seeing and who DE's with us (as well as his wife -- both instructors) so he understands when I try to explain what the car did (or did not do) at what place on what track. This all has given us a focus in common and expanded the activities that we do together. DE is a perfect marriage tool -- you theoretically spend the day together but you never have to speak to each other since you really spend the day in the car and with the club. When you spend time together later (dinner, drive home, at home) you have plenty of conversation material.

So have her drive it!!!

Have fun Mrs. Yumyum1667!!!

(-- Mindy O.)
Old 06-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Celle
Advanced

Tell her that men are big kids and therefore need big toys.

I told my wife after 10 years of marriage that it was about time for me to do something crazy that I had always dreamed of, in stead of just work my *** off, grow old and eventually end up on a cemetery amidst people who never dared to pursue their dreams because of the money, a bossy wife, etc...

She understood, still thinks my 911 is an unnecessary investment, but sees how happy it makes me. Guess that's what's love and marriage is about, right?

If she cares about you, she will give in (eventually...)
Old 06-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Yuo mat need one of these .. heh.. heh...

Old 06-21-2006, 12:52 PM
RedShadow
Instructor

It was easy for me. After years of nagging, collecting everything Porsche related I could find, hanging over a dozen Porsche pictures on the wall, a 944 turbo for starters, more nagging, heart-wrenching sob stories and finally, "You can have a baby if I can have a 911" she finally relented. Now the proud owner of an '84 Carrera. Easy!
Old 06-21-2006, 01:21 PM
tahoe_snow
Intermediate

Why aren't there more woman 911 owners? Sometimes I think it is odd how men obsess about certain things, when woman couldn't care less. I work in software, and likewise there are few woman in this field.

This is changing the subject slightly, but I'm interested in industrial design and to me the 911 is a work of art. The 70s and 80s the automotive industry was littered with failed, uninspired designs. The Japanese hadn't figured out much beyond econo boxes (maybe the Z is an exception). In that context the 911 is iconic.

But that seems lost on my girlfriend. She just sees a pretty car that is old, loud, and doesn't have a CD player. The love just isn't there.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:41 PM
RatPack
8th Gear

My Lovely Wife/CFO said she'd even write the check...as soon as I sell the Equity Golf membership to the Country Club. Decisions, decisions.

Quick Reply: How did you guys finally wear down your wife to get the 911?