Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Octane for 89 911 speedster

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 01:38 PM
climbasky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Octane for 89 911 speedster

The car is all original and perfect, I want to simply add some more oomph without doing any mods. There is a local Marathon gas station that sells 100 octane racing fuel. Can I use it? Or should I maybe blend it with 50:50 Premium. I certainly do not want to risk anything with the car. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:44 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In a street car with normal compression and advance, there is absolutely no performance to be gained by using higher octane gas. Maximum performance in your car will be achieved by using the octane (RON+MON/2) that is recommended in your owners manual and no higher.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

Using 100 octane fuel does nothing on a stock 3.2 Carrera engine. Its a total waste of money.

A PROPERLY programmed chip will make a noticable difference in how your car runs and is safe as long as you use premium fuels. If you decide thats not something you wish to do, drive your car in good health and stick to pump premium gas.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:59 PM
climbasky
Advanced

Thanks for your responses. Seems like there is no quick easy fix to get more HP. On the chip....... I was told that the only improvement is that the redline is increased so if I drive at redline I get more performance. What is the substance behind this?
Old 05-27-2006, 10:12 PM
sww914
Instructor

Octane is not an ingredient.
It is a measurement, like celsius or farenheit.
Higher octane gas burns slower, so as to avoid premature detonation in high compression, hot engines with very advanced timing.
A higher output engine can take advantage of it's qualities, but a stock street engine can't use it at all.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:46 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by climbasky
Thanks for your responses. Seems like there is no quick easy fix to get more HP. On the chip....... I was told that the only improvement is that the redline is increased so if I drive at redline I get more performance. What is the substance behind this?
LOL,....I'm sorry to say that you've been singularly misinformed about all this,...

There ARE no quick and easy ways to pick up substantial amounts of power, but changes in fuel mapping and ignition mapping CAN improve mid-range throttle response and torque only if its done correctly by responsible and knowledgeable personnel.

The redline (max RPM limit) should never be raised without certain mechanical upgrades to the engine for safety & durability. Maintaining peak effective RPM involves installing close-ratio gears to keep the engine RPM between peak torque & peak HP at every shift.

Now, THAT will result in maximum accelerative effort.

If you really want the car to accelerate harder (which is what you are asking for), consider this:

1) Install close-ratio gears.
2) Increase engine displacement to 3.2, 3.4, or 3.5 litres with larger pistons & cylinders (conversely, you can install a 3.6 from a 993 for best power),
3) Install 964 cams.
4) Different exhaust system.
5) Extrude-hone intake manifolds if you do the above, first.
6) Custom software to match the above modifications.

Hope this helps clarify things a bit.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:03 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by climbasky
You got some bad advice about the chip. A good chip, like one from Steve Wong at www.911chips.com , can improve throttle response and smooth the power curve, thus making the car generally more driveable while making it feel more responsive. And, depending on which chip you get and what other mods you do, you may have to run premium pump gas to avoid engine knock. The chip's fuel and timing maps may increase horsepower slightly, but probably not enough to notice unless you've done other mods and the chip is custom programmed. The engine will rev more freely which makes the car feel more peppy even if there's no significant HP increase.

One thing you certainly don't want to do is increase the rev limit on your Carrera. One of the Carrera's weak points is the rod bolts, which are prone to failure when revving at or above redline under certain circumstances. Besides, redline is well above both peak HP and peak torque, so max acceleration will be achieved by shifting well below redline.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:54 AM
climbasky
Advanced

The only improvements I want to do are those which are easily reversible to return the car to it's original condition. The custom programmed chip sounds very interesting. What should I budget for this? And would you recommend it? Seems like the benefits should be quite entertaining! Thanks, again!
Old 05-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"The chip's fuel and timing maps may increase horsepower slightly, but probably not enough to notice unless you've done other mods and the chip is custom programmed."
- 911dave -

First, a fuel remap has no benefit without MAJOR intake/exhaust mods. Furthermore,
in closed-loop the fuel injection system maintains a constsnt AFR, i.e. except at wide
open throttle which usually has an AFR of 12 to 14 any way. Additionally, remapping
the ignition just advances the timing and places the engine into the problematic detonation
region even with higher octanes because of varying engine temps & loads.

The 3.2 engine is just basically a little larger 911SC engine with an engine management
system. The max ignition advance for the 911SC is 35 degrees which most/all
SC owners are very concerned about NOT exceeding. Analysis of many 3.2 performance
chips indicates that the ignition advances of these chips are in the low to mid
40 degree range and some as high as 50 degrees. The 3.2 with its spark plug
location is MORE problematic to detonation because of ignition advances beyond
38-40 degrees.

"The custom programmed chip sounds very interesting."

That's just a marketing ploy which yields NOTHING unless done on a dyno or unless
the MAJOR mods are well defined!

Bottom line:

Performance chips are to be avoided especially for engines like the 3.2 which
lack knock sensors to avoid detonation. Interesting how 3.2 owners ignore this
issue whereas 911SC owners avoid a simple use of a 13mm wrench to get the
"performance chip effect" even by moving the distributor versus having to spend
hundreds of dollars for a chip. Check out this Rennlist thread as it has implications
for this issue; https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/269781-diagnostic-help-broken-rings.html

Spend your money on a DE class and get a better return for it!

Last edited by Lorenfb; 05-28-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Loren just couldn't resist saving another poor soul from chipping his car. Do a search on performance chips and you will see Loren is in the minority on this issue. Hours of entertaining reading. We have yet to hear of an engine blowing due to being chipped. I may be wrong but I believe that Porsche upped the redline on the Speedster or was it the Club Sport to 6840 without changing the rod bolts. I am one of many satisfied SteveW customers. And having my custom chip done as we speak.

Michael
Old 05-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"We have yet to hear of an engine blowing due to being chipped." - Diamond Blue -

Some continue to lack the technical knowledge or willingness to understand issues
more challenging than how to change oil, and continue to believe the B.S. hype.

'I may be wrong but I believe that Porsche upped the redline on the Speedster or was it the Club Sport to 6840 without changing the rod bolts." - Diamond Blue -

Yes, you're wrong which exemplifies a very limited technical knowledge
and inability to grasp the issues. Read the Club Sport manual WKD 494 021
and avoid quoting what you're been told by your performance chip guy.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:47 AM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Loren , I have asked over the last three years what your proof is that chips are bad. No response Hmm imagine that no proof. You tell everyone that engines are being damaged haven't seen one that has been and this topic has been beat to death. When you know me and my technical ability then you can judge me on. Remeber you have been banned here and at Pelican from your personal attacks. Tyson Schmidt and Bill Verburg has been quoted that the Club Sport (Porsche's own documents support this) increased the redline to 6840 along with hollow valves but did nothing to address the rod bolt issue. Guess you had better look at that manual again. And as far as inablility to grasp the issue you have proven your point that you can't grasp anything having to do with chips. Like I say do the search. It is very entertaining.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:04 AM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Also from Tony Corlett's book "Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera: The Last Of The Evolution" states the performance enhancements which include the increased redline from 6520 to 6840 Check it out on Tony Corlett
Old 05-29-2006, 04:55 AM
RL Technical Advisor

There is an old proverb that states: "Never wrestle with a pig; the pig likes it and you'll just get dirty".

Food for thought, eh?
Old 05-29-2006, 05:43 AM
hmd
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
There is an old proverb that states: "Never wrestle with a pig; the pig likes it and you'll just get dirty".

Food for thought, eh?
Or a new computer age proverb:

Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quick Reply: Octane for 89 911 speedster