Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Gear Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 03:02 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the spring centered disk in my 88 Carrera and have not had any rattle. I also put Mobil 1 75w90 gear lube in it. what a difference. If you have a G50 with any other lube....change it.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, there is a tolerance level from one owner to the next. Also, you must remember that it's the average (typical) car that Porsche tries to make better. The gear rattle situation is similar to the '84 Carrera, where Motronic just didn't deliver the goods in many cars, allowing acceleration "holes," (slight flat spots), etc. Regarding gear rattle, out of every 100 cars you've got 3 perfect ones that a spring hub won't impact greatly, you've got 2 cars that have borderline gear rattle WITH a rubber hub, and the other 95 cars all will have noticeable gear rattle with a spring hub disc.
Pete
Old 06-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you again, Pete. That's an excellent explanation for why some folks can get away with the spring-hub clutch and some cannot. All I can say to the "skeptics" is that I had only very slight gear rattle with the original, rubber-hub clutch. That clutch, you must remember, was seventeen years old, and I was concerned about failure. After the change to the spring-hub clutch the increase in gear rattle was dramatic. Actually, it was unbearable to me. I actually thought about trading the 911 in for another Boxster S. The new rubber hub clutch, however, has fixed everything. Gear rattle is barely perceptible at take-off, and just is not at all present in 4th and 5th gear around 4000rpm where it became so prevalent with the spring clutch. For those readers who have asked, the shop that did my work here in Charlotte, NC is EuroWerks. Despite this gear rattle episode, I highly recommend this shop to anyone in the area who intends to have his/her Porsche repaired. They have more than redeemed themselves by the kindness and generosity they've shown me with the "redo. In addition, they have done other work for me that has been high quality in every way. The shop is always clean and well-organized, and they have enough techs working so one can readily get an appointment for service. The repair is always carried out in timely fashion, and the car is always returned to its owner clean and unmarred. Despite this one episode as I've said, this is without a doubt the best Porsche repair shop I've encountered in my 36 years of Porsche 911 ownership. One last word on rubber-hub clutches. I've recently learned that even PCA technical guru Bruce Anderson--author of the "exploding clutch" thing--has now relented. He now admits they are not the "time bomb" he once claimed them to be.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:24 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Joe,

I have the 1st and reverse shutter, did changing back the rubber center disc effect this in anyway?

Brgds, Peter
Old 10-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

The little that I had went away. However, I think it's a matter of degree. If you have a lot, you might be dealing with oil on the clutch disk from a leaky flywheel oil seal. My big issue was gear rattle in the upper gears. That has been completely eliminated by the rubber center disk--just as Porsche meant it to be.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:11 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

I just replaced my clutch @ 112599 miles approx 100 miles ago. Did it myself. The disc I took out was a spring center (not original) and I replaced with a spring center. Thankfully I do not experience this gear rattle. I know of at least one other rennlister that is dealing with this problem that would love to learn from your experience screen name 'Der Mond' hopefully he reads this. Perhaps a PM will do the trick. I'm glad I used the search function to find your thread :-)

Brgds, Peter
Old 10-18-2006, 11:11 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

BTW - thi was on my 88' cab not the 912 in my AV, duh.....
Old 10-19-2006, 12:10 AM
carrera
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so is the new recomendation a rubber centered disc ?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

Well Pete did say that Bruce Anderson recanted somewhat on his " exploding rubber centred clutch" , at least I thought it was Pete. Actually this would be a great question for excelence , it actually has Bruces email in their. I don't know what I have in mine , but if it is rubber I am putting rubber back in .
Old 10-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bruce did indeed recant. If I can find his words in print I will post them. Iceman, if you currently have the spring center clutch and have no gear rattle problems, I'd say replace it with the same. It will certainly be less expensive. If, on the other hand, you currently have the rubber center disc, I'd advise you to play it safe and go for another rubber one. I learned my lesson the hard way. It cost me to have the job done twice, but it was worth it to me.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:43 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hi Joe I do remember your posts on this issue and was warned by it , that is why I figure I will put back whatever is in their . No way to check unfortunately though.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:05 AM
dsmith
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I come here this morning for this specific topic and bang, all the info I need. Mine's an 83sc, and I have a good amount of rattle in all gears on acceleration, less when cruising. I replaced shift linkage bushings first, including installing the tight shift coupler bushings, and thought I had more rattle than before = easy correlation. Granted, I have no carpet, engine sound pad or tunnel cover on (removed at the same time), so I expect more noise from that anyway ( I wasn't trying to get rid of the noise). So, 3k miles later I replace the clutch, flywheel, etc. (spring to spring disc) and still have the gear rattle (not that I was expecting it to go away). Then I thought maybe putting in a coupler with less binding would help, so I installed the Wevo coupler. No difference. Summary, the noise was there before, after and during all of this, including 4 transmission removals and tranny rebuild also. I don't care about the noise, if nothing's being damaged. Just thought I would throw this scenario up there in case someone like Pete says, "hold up there, buddy, you have a problem!"
David
Old 10-20-2006, 11:20 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Yeah you do have a problem .. I think you need to take all that stuff off, put a rubber centred clutvh in and send the wevo stuff to me ...
Old 05-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

It appears that I will need a clutch replacement due to the infamous "exploding rubber center" issue. The question is, which clutch should I get, the rubber or non-rubber disc? I plan on performing the fork update, along with a new pressure plate and throw-out bearing. I certainly don't want another rubber clutch, but at the same time, I don't want increased rattle. I already have the 3.2 input shaft rattle.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:19 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

What (exactly) would make make some G50's rattle a bit with spring-centered and other spring centers NOT? Break it down....mechanically.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Gear Rattle