Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

ROTATING MY SPEEDO

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 03:15 AM
DARISC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ROTATING MY SPEEDO

I put an Italvolanti wheel in my 82 SC that partially blocks the speedo and need to rotate the speedo ccw about 15 or 20 degrees so I can read it above 40 mph. I'm one of those guys who likes to drive the wheels off my car and leave the mechanical stuff to my mechanic - but, is this something I can do myself?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:35 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should just pull straight out of the dash. Turn it a little and push it back in.

You may need to lever it out. I'd use something soft or wrap the ends of two small screwdrivers in tape and lever it out with them.

Good luck

Frank
Old 05-04-2006, 10:43 AM
emac
Racer

While you are at it do the tach, you really dont need to look at the speedo, who does?? But the tach is another thing. Turn it so when you look at 12:00 and see your needle,,, shift.

Ernie 81SC
Old 05-04-2006, 11:34 AM
DARISC
Racer

Thanks guys. I think I can handle that. While I've got a pretty good ear for revs, I just might do the tach as well. The speedo is my big concern because I do a lot of surface street driving and the air where I live is full of radar beams.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I found that putting a little dishwashing soap on the rubber gasket that holds it in place makes it slide in very easily but dries so is not a permanent lube.

Marc
Old 05-04-2006, 04:15 PM
DARISC
Racer

Got 'er done! Clever tip, Marc - however I just sat back down and read it after turning the speedo. It was pretty snug, but with cloth & screwdriver I managed to pry it out enough to rotate it without marring anything.

I can now see 90 without crooking my neck. That'll suffice for local traffic conditions here in Carlsbad.

Frank, I visited your city in 64 while in the navy. I've always wanted to return. It's a lovely (now there's an adjective I use guardedly!) and beautiful city with the friendliest people I've encountered anywhere.

I love this board because you guys take the time and effort to respond to inane questions from newby mechanical maladroits such as myself.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I rotated all of my gauges on my 74, because i got tired of people asking why the speedo was crooked. When they were all turned 15°, I got alot fewer questions.
+++
Old 05-05-2006, 03:02 AM
DARISC
Racer

I've got that covered Dan. Earlier this evening my buddy, seeing my newly painted little beast for the first time, noticed the cockeyed speedo and asked, " What's up with that?"

I told him I opened it up on I 5 through Pendleton and when the speedo pegged the needle the little beast was still pulling so hard it twisted the speedo into that position in the blink of an eye. "Scared hell out of me! I know, I know - looks like hell" I said with a straight face. "Don't bug me. I'm gonna get it fixed."

His initial wide eyed incredulous look was priceless, followed of course by a big grin and "You're Sh*#$in' me!"

I think I'll leave the other gauges as they are and wait for a chance to use that one again!
Old 05-05-2006, 03:27 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G'day Darisc,
Back in 64 eh? Freindly eh? Beautiful eh?

Well you better come back down here and see if anything's changed!
And you can stay at my place while you're here! We're only a fifteen minute walk to the CBD.

Back in 93 I rang California seeking some information, anyway the guy I met on the phone ended up coming out and staying with the wife and I for 3 weeks! He's now a great mate and we went to CA on 2002 to help build his house.

That sort of thing happens when you're friendly.

Frank

Quick Reply: ROTATING MY SPEEDO