Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil return tubes? uh oh .... !

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 06:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts
Default oil return tubes? uh oh .... !

As most of you know my car has been sitting on jack stands since I bought it . I have everthing done and noticed oil seepage alog the case bottom. it is fresh oil for sure there is a big drip but it will not drop . I see a trace of oil up to a tube that estends from the case out to the valve cover area, there are 4 of them in total, thay run above the heat axcahngers so this could be a pain. My questions are .

Are these the dreaded oil return tubes? they don't look collapsable , so if this is them are they originals?
I have seen projects to replace these and they look to be a royal pain. is this true?
If it is very cold out and (-10C) and I have a drip , there is a god chance it will REALLY leak at operating temp ?

Now this sounds REALLY cheezy but could I get away with putting a bead of silicone around the tube where it goes into the case to stop the leak ? The only reason I say this is that my heat exchangrs are rusted in place and don't want to bust an exhaust stud taking them off to fix a leak. If I can seal it until I get my heat exchangers taken off by a pro I will be hapy !

lastly what is the chance I am just leaking between the case halfs and it has nothing to do with the return tubes ?

I will try to post a pic if I can .

Thanks Guys

ice
Old 03-21-2006, 07:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Default here is a pic.

here is what I am looking at
Old 03-21-2006, 07:19 PM
johnnyo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are return tubes, first off don't panic yet if the car has been sitting for a while these will have a propensity to leak, drive the car for a 100 miles or so many of the leaks that develope over a durration of lack of use will stop leaking on there own, if not you can easily replace the two on the pass. side and the one rearward tube on the drivers side without jacking up the car, I know because all four of mine were leaking bad, now the next step with channel locks crimp the tubes two inches from each end and proceed to bend the tubes into a Z or S shape and pull them out, you will need to orger the aluminum collapsable tubes to replace the original tubes, you can find graet instruction on the Pelican site or buy Dempsey's book on 911 engine rebuilding (great reading), the fourth tube that is largely obstructed by the heat exchanger is diificult but in my case the driving for 50 or so miles stopped that leak for me, (my car sat for 3 years), good luck, Johnny O
Old 03-21-2006, 08:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks Johnny

And I guess you have figured which one is leaking .. yep , the drivers side close to the front. I decided to clean up the whole area with some degreaser and it looks like new now, so I will watch it over the next monh or so . After that I will drive her and see where we are at.

ice
Old 03-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A drip of oil when a 911 sits is not unusual. Get it running and drive it. If you dont need to add oil at a short interval and you are not drippiing onto the heat exchanger and smoking a lot then you have nothing to worry about. Also if you are using synthetic oil then it will find its way out when the car sits.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Good Point

I am using a semi synthetic blend. Sounds like I should just leave it for now and wait and see, like the post I once saw... if the 911 isn't leaking .. it's out of oil :-)
Old 03-21-2006, 11:57 PM
billroth
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started my 1985 for the first time this year and noticed some smoke coming from the wheel area on the passenger side after I stopped the car. I had noticed oil on the heat exchanger prior to this. This is OK right? So long as the oil leak is not too bad?
Old 03-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Corrales911
Instructor

Yeah, don't go replacing the tubes until you know they'll leak during normal use. My car never leaked a drop but in November I came home from several weeks away to find a small puddle on the floor. I'd heard there had been unusually cold temps while I was gone (single F digits). After the car was driven regularly several times it quit leaking,and hasn't since. I know there will be a tube replacement sometime, but I'm glad I didn't rush into this one.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:44 AM
TCB
Intermediate

Does anybody have a source in Canada for the Return Tubes.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:45 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Randy or Brent at whale tail will probably be able to get them for you. I think the shop in Milton may be able to get them. I am sure Mantis or Firano or any of those places. I just get most of my stuff mail order on the internet.
Bill , may want to make sure it is your return tube, the valve cover gasket may be leaking ( as I had your exact syptom ) and this is a much easier change.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bill: Be VERY CAREFUL, a right side oil leak can carry with it the possibility of fire. Look under the car and forward to the three pipe into one pipe collector which is the part of the right heat exchanger. If oil is dripping onto that part of the exhaust it can get hot enough to ignite. That oil leak is usually one of two things (sometimes both); the oil pressure switch or the oil thermostat o-ring. Both are located on top of the crankcase, next to each other, and can be repaired with the engine in the car. Check that exhaust!
Pete
Old 03-22-2006, 06:21 PM
billroth
Intermediate

Thanks for the tip. Do I need to replace the oil pressure switch or the washer if this is the problem? If it is the thermostat, I assume I can just replace the seal. Will I need to do an oil change if I attempt to fix these leaks? It may be the valve covers (which I assume needs an oil change or at least top up).

Thanks,
Lawrence
Old 03-22-2006, 06:22 PM
billroth
Intermediate

Peter,
Sorry for my newbiness but were you referring to the pressure switch or sender?

Lawrence
Old 03-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bill: The oil pressure switch - it's red with a single wire connection at its top, and is located under the air flow meter. The oil thermostat is near it, and must be removed to replace its o-ring. The pressure switch unscrews, and the thermostat lifts out after you remove a pair of 6mm (10mm wrench size) nuts.
Pete
Old 03-23-2006, 01:12 AM
billroth
Intermediate

Peter,

Thanks. I'll have a look and see what's up.

Lawrence

Quick Reply: oil return tubes? uh oh .... !