Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Who here as the Wevo setup for a 915?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 12:56 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who here as the Wevo setup for a 915?

I'm considering the Wevo shifter and universal joint for my SC.

If you have this setup, how do you like it?

Was it worth it?

TonyG
Old 03-20-2006, 04:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I was considering it too but i was told buy more than a few people do NOT get the wevo for the SC , I was told I would be way better off just getting the factory short shift kit .... now that I have opened THAT can of worms you can watch me get blown out of the water by the WEVO owners.. but to be honest I don't have either yet ...
Old 03-20-2006, 05:21 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

theiceman

Did anybody articulate why?

I would presume that the same argument would apply to the Carrera.

I'd be interested to hear both sides....

TonyG
Old 03-20-2006, 06:41 PM
H. Miller
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Wevo Shifter but not the gateshift. At the time I bought the Wevo, the Porsche OE short shift kit was unavailable (and I'm a little impatient). Anyway, I like the Wevo shifter quite a bit, it changed the shifting in my 83 SC coupe.
One reason people may say the P short shift kit is better is because of price. The wevo is expensive while the short shift kit is found to be very acceptable by many and the price is right. In doing research at the time I was told not to settle for other 3rd party short shift kits (other than the Porsche OE one).
My shifting is crisp, sharp and noticeably different. The wevo is spring loaded to default to 3/4. It provides a more click/click type shifting but as many will tell you the 915 is quirky and the wevo shifter does not eliminate all the 'quirkiness'.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:45 PM
lally911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the porsche short shift kit - minor improvement. Installed wevo shift coupler - cleaned up some sloppiness in shifting. Installed the wevo shifter - much improved shifting and precise gear selection. Fifth gear now useable on track where before downshifting from fifth always had a heart stopping moment when the clutch was let out - never sure if fourth or second was selected. Now, with the wevo third and fourth are the default plane and reverse is locked out when coming from fifth.
Like every wevo purchase I've made, the initial sticker shock is tough but seems well worth it after a bit of usage. The gate shift is next when the tranny comes apart.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

there you go some great info , I am sure the reason I was told this was " bang for the buck" .. the tribe has spoken and it looks like the wevo stays on the island...
Old 03-21-2006, 12:30 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

I have all the WEVO goodies (shifter, Race PSJ coupler, motor & tranny mounts, etc.) and I think they're great - highly recommended!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:06 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I've got their whole shifter/coupler/gateshift line-up too. I love it all.

I've never come across a Wevo-engineered product that was anything less than great.

But speaking from some experience, your 915 shifts pretty well, Tony. (Thanks again!)
Old 03-21-2006, 02:33 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I've not met any unhappy owners of the WEVO shifter.

I am going to try the Seine gate shift. I've spoken to several owners and they have also been happy. It's also a much cheaper alternative to the WEVO system.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the Seine gate shift and the Wevo coupler. I just installed the coupler and replaced the bushings and am quite happy with the results.

Sean
Old 03-22-2006, 10:46 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

JackOlsen

Glad you enjoyed the ride. Too bad the brakes were not setup properly (I'm about to have that situation rectified here real quick like).

While my 915 shifts good (for a 915), I'd like to make it more precise, and is the reason I'm considering the Wevo stuff.

And while I don't own any Wevo stuff, yet, looking over what I've seen, and what's on their web site and you can tell it's all professionally designed and engineered.

PS> I'll be at the next Open Track Racing event for sure. Great group of people.

TonyG
Old 03-23-2006, 09:13 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My $.02 I suspect the WEVO setup is quite nice. I have heard only good things. However, I doubt it will result in any improvement in actual laptimes. In good repair and adjustment, the standard 915 factory shifter (not short shift) works just fine once you learn to use it to full advantage.

I suspect the full WEVO package will cost upward of $1500 buy the time the dust settles, so that is a big chunk of change.... if money is no object, go for it, shifting is a very personal thing, and if it makes your driving more confident, or more enjoyable, hey... why not.

Bang for the buck, however, that much spent on suspension work will probably result in more performance improvement.

Quick Reply: Who here as the Wevo setup for a 915?