Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What is next????

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What is next????

Three weeks ago I bought a 1987 911 red/black coupe (after 1 year of looking/bidding) so that I could go to DE events and not worry about trashing my 996. The PPI that I had done when I bought the car had a lot of small things to be fixed including the heater blower motor, oil return tubes, etc. I had this work done by the selling dealer that did the PPI. The PPI did mention that ther was an oil leak that could be either the rear main seal or the oil sending unit. I am no fool, of course it was going to be the rear main seal. So this week I brought the car to my regular mechanic and let them go to work. It was the rear main seal so, the engine came out. While the engine was out it was a good time to upgrade the clutch to a spring center and do all of the "normal" upgrades to the transmission. It also was a great time to remove the air conditioning, put in new brake pads, install a shock tower brace, chin spoiler, momo steering wheel, cut the air box, install a K&N filter, adjust the valves, and make all of the other adjustments that a 20 year old car might need.

Given the fact that everything I own gets a new exhaust system, this car was no exception. After reading hours of posts here on Rennlist, I decided to go either with a Fabspeed muffler bypass ( which I bought the day that I bought the car), another Fabspeed dual out, or this new thing that I had never heard of, M&K exhaust. I called Pelican who informed me that my choices were limited since they were suspending selling Fabspeed because of a rumor that their products were made in Taiwan. After speaking with Ben at M&K, I called my mechanic and ordered the M&K single in/single out. Of course, since the engine was out of the car and on a stand it would be very easy to convert to SSI heat exchangers. Back to consult with Rennlist. We ended up with the SSI heat exchangers and the M&K dual in/ dual out muffler.

So, I want to thank everyone for their guidance and get your opinions as to what we are going to do next.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:01 PM
senna21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a problem. We're more than happy to help you spend your money. Enjoy!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:30 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics of the car would be a good start

id look into things to lighten it up. maybe look into a steve w chip i hear nothing but good things about them. i dunno theres alot. me myself im looking into weight saving stuff and suspension goodies for my car. prolly going to pick up a rear seat delete kit this week and look towards elephant racings bushings.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:32 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Minoclan
.....So, I want to thank everyone for their guidance and get your opinions as to what we are going to do next.
Three words: Suspension, suspension, suspension! Your car will be transformed into a 'new beast'. Search the archives both here and on Pelican for suggestions....

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 03-15-2006, 10:11 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I remember the day I put SSI's and ben's muffler on. Very, very cool. My car is the first car taking off in the sound bite on his website.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:42 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you start modifying the car, how much track experience do you have? If you are just starting, leave it alone for now and just learn how to drive it. $1000 on DE fees is worth way more than $1000 in mods. It's never too early to think about safety upgrades though (i.e. rollbar, harnesses, seats)

On the other hand, if you have a couple of years of DE expecience, a proper track suspension will transform it. Places like Elephant Racing and others sell complete setups depending on the cars use.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I am in a similar situation to yours. Very similar cars, too. Would you consider a wheel and tire package?
Old 03-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

I highly recommend Extrudehone the intake plentums, bore the throttle body and
a Steve Wong chip, maybe flow match your injectors and some Magnacore wires.
I have done this on my 89 and if nothing else my car runs cooler !
EBS did my heads/ throttle body and injectors. They send you a before and after
spray pattern on the injectors....impressive ! I also have the fabspeed pre muff
and dual out muff.... I had a total NIGHTMARE installing the dual out muff, or
my mechanic did, no help from Fabspeed AT ALL, I wound up spending almost
as much as I spent on the muff just to have it installed where it would fit !!
After all was said and done, it does sound fantastic and she runs like a
better than new car !
Good Luck
Chuck
Old 03-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Is a chip worthwhile without doing intake and exhaust mods as well?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

I think that if you are going to take your car from stock then you have to decide
how far you are going to take it. Leaving it stock if fine, after all, the car from the
factory is one fantastic car ! deciding to improve on perfection in a big step.
What I'm getting at is a chip is one thing, if you are going to one thing... might
as well do two, meaning chip/exhaust. IMHO chip needs exhaust.
www.911chips.com has good info on chips and mods with the gains for each.
Good Luck
Chuck
Old 03-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Thanks

I do have track experience. I did a few Skip Barber courses and booked a few years with BMWCCA doing their events.

Your comments are greatly appreciated. I am thinking that the car should be lowered and Bilsteins installed. Any suggestions on wheels and tires? I am thinking BBS. The chip from Steve W is a done deal.

Any more?
Old 03-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

Lowering is a must ! you might take a look at Koni's or revalved Bilsteins for a track car.
Someone else mentioned Elepahant Racing... great stuff, also Smart Racing has some
really good stuff for the suspension.
Have Fun
CHuck

Quick Reply: What is next????