Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 03:27 AM
godxilla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa Wind Noise

I just bought a 86 Targa. Great car, but over 60 mph, the targa top has lots of wind noise coming from the middle front part of the top. I know targas will always be more noisy than coupes, but its more noise than i think is normal.

i took a good look at where the seam meets the back of the top part of the windsheild metal, it looks like the seam fold sticks up a bit.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem. Has anyone tried covering the gap with some removable tape or a magnetic strip?

Let me know if someone has some insight...

Thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 09:51 AM
ruckmjr
Advanced

I wrestled with this for some time. The solution I found was to install weatherstriping underneath the removeable top that covers up that gap. In other words, the weatherstrip is glued onto the windshield frame (similiar to the factory set up) and extends under the top. The top, when latched, is pulled down onto the weatherstrip. No leaks and is very quiet now. The trick is in finding weatherstriping that works. I found that garage door weatherstriping works very well, believe it or not. The good stuff though, pliable and all. I think that most home improvement stores have it.
Good luck.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:38 AM
rentadate
Instructor

don't forget that a razor blad it needed for the cutting of the weather strip. Do NOT forget the rubbing alcohol. I learned this one the hard way. You need to clean the rubber strip for the weather strip to actually stick to it. Feel free to use as much alcohol as needed, be sure to clean it well. That will make it so you don't have to get the top off and fix it all the time.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weather stripping as mentioned works. You can also just buy and install a new seal. Yours might be dried out and shrunk. If worse comes to worse, when you're planning long or high-speed trips you can temporarily tape with duct tape. This is what I did when I had the car in Europe and went on the autobahn.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:19 PM
godxilla
Advanced

so the weatherstrip actually goes on the metal portion of the back of the windshield above the seal? or does it go onto the seal itself?

Also, what do you do with edge of the targa material? let it stick up?

Thanks for your help...
Old 03-14-2006, 11:05 AM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Default Me too

Gets real noisy over 130mph...
Old 03-14-2006, 11:30 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

check that the clips on the leading edge of the top are engaging or popping loose
Old 03-15-2006, 12:51 PM
godxilla
Advanced

does anyone know about the front edge of the targa material needing to be at a 45% angle downward to reduce wind noise? someone mentioned that to me a while back.

Quick Reply: Targa Wind Noise