Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Probably the Fuel Pump? (REVISED - Ignition Coil)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 09:48 PM
g5o
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably the Fuel Pump? (REVISED - Ignition Coil)

Whomever doesn't have AAA Plus... upgrade now. I did just last week, and guess what? I'm about 115 miles from home when my engine dies.

I was making a left turn, downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and flump; the engine cuts off. I coasted off the road and shut her down. Turn the key again and I have all power and the starter engages. Turns over and over and over...but nothing. Distributor and plug wires appear to be okay. Tired rolling her and popping the clutch...nothing. A fellow PCA-er said it probably is the fuel pump as he had the same symptoms recently and that did the trick. All fuses in the trunk are intact.

For troubleshooting, I will be testing per the Bentley manual. Do you guys have any other suggestions (other than the fuel pump)? I'm not looking forward to getting under that skid plate again...

* Regular AAA membership will tow you (7) miles w/o charge. However, with AAA Plus, you (100) miles and AAA Premiere you get (200). I got lucky!

Last edited by g5o; 03-10-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:24 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

make sure you try the fuel pump relay first. It would be a drag to crawl under the car and realize the fix was right in the trunk.

( I carry 2 spare relays, a black and a red. )
Old 03-06-2006, 12:48 AM
g5o
Instructor

I'm definitely going to put together a kit of not only tools, but parts for situations like this. I'll start with the relays. Water pump isn't cheap! Thanks Ice.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:04 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

In addition to the relay, confirm the fuel pump fuse is not blown or the connection loose. Even check the wire connections to the top and bottom of the fuse holder. If you're not sure the fuse is good, just swap it for a quick check. I've had one that was cracked but appeared good by visual inspection.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:51 AM
yogi
Advanced

I also had a fuel pump fuse that looked good. When I removed it the ceramic starting crumbling.

Jerry Baer
87 coupe
Old 03-06-2006, 08:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

For spares I carry a full tool kit, air compressor, fan belt, two relays, fuses, clutch cable, mag light and spare batteries. A rag, plastic gloves from my wifes hair colour kit, a couple of band aids and a couple of 20 dollar bills. Anything other than that and they can tow the thing.

ice
Old 03-06-2006, 09:05 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine died the same way. Just rounded a turn onto an expressway ramp & dead. I assumed gas, then relay & finally tested the fuel pump using the method in the Bentley. It 'thunked' on contact but didn't pump.

Easy fix.

Ian
Old 03-07-2006, 12:27 PM
g5o
Instructor

Appreciate the comments. I have fuses and relay on the way (extra to carry too). I'm putting together a kit now, except I don't have a wife with a hair-coloring kit.

The fuel pump may be an easy fix, but it's like $300 on Pelican. Seen some on eBay under $200. Should I only go with Bosch if its the pump?
Old 03-07-2006, 10:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Just grab a pair of thin rubber gloves like they use in a lab or hospital and jamb them into a kindr surprise container.. perfect, throw away when done...
Old 03-08-2006, 07:35 PM
g5o
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
make sure you try the fuel pump relay first. It would be a drag to crawl under the car and realize the fix was right in the trunk.

( I carry 2 spare relays, a black and a red. )
What is the difference between the red and the black? Do they both go in the same place? The red is specifically for the fuel pump and the black is multifunction? If multifunction, what else can it be used for? Thanks.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I wondered the same thing, and then thought "don't mess with success". My car has a red and a black, so now I carry a red and a black. for the cost of them it is hardly worth worrying about.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
g5o
Instructor

On Pelican it is listed when you do a part search as "Relay, Fog Lamps, Horn, etc., Black round, 911 (1969-89)..." But it's listed in the category "Factory External Oil Cooler Parts & Mounting Hardware." Go figure. You're right - for $15 or so, it's WORTH IT.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:43 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default I believe I think I know.

Originally Posted by g5o
What is the difference between the red and the black? Do they both go in the same place? The red is specifically for the fuel pump and the black is multifunction? If multifunction, what else can it be used for? Thanks.
The red relay has a diode. I believe between pins 85 and 86 if my memory is correct. The purpose of the diode is to protect solid state and other electronics from noise and inductive kickback when the pump turns on and off. An inductive load (e.g motor) creates a inductive voltage spike when the magnetic field forms (pump running) and collapses (pump stops). The other loads with the black relays are primarily either solid state like the radio or resistive like lights. I don't think other motors like the footwell blowers, fans, etc. have a red relay but it would not hurt if they did.

You can replace a black relay with a red relay however, you should replace a red relay in kind. However, in a pinch, the black relay would work. You can always stick the A/C or power window relay in place of the fuel pump relay if you're stranded.

However, I keep one of each in my car for spares.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:10 PM
g5o
Instructor

You can't be any more informative than that! Many thanks!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

So have you confirmed your problem yet ? or should I say have you confirmed a solution !

Quick Reply: Probably the Fuel Pump? (REVISED - Ignition Coil)