Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

drove next to a cayman today

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 09:58 PM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drove next to a cayman today

this guy was either a first timer or just having a bad day...we were in a parking lot and he saw my gaurds red 87 911,and just looked away..no wave(a little disappointed)..9 out of 10 911 guys always flash,beep or wave...anyhow i got behind him and he gunned it..pretty quick i must say..too quick for my old 911,but i followed him until my exit..this is the 2nd one i have seen..this was lapis blue..pretty car,but not for me..if it was not a porsche,i really would not like it too much,but i love porsches so.....i still have not warmed up to it..it looks like all modern porsches from the front..the side angle is nice,but the rear angle is not too good imo..my 87 is very clean and has just been waxed,so i looked at it when i got home,and had a big smile on my face..
on another note,one of best friends just picked up his guards red/black 87 coupe today...he is great guy and i was with him through the whole process..he has joined rennlist and will post..its something how these cars really get us..his process really made me happy for being a porsche owner again for the 4th time..i read recently,that someone posted "there will always be a 911 in his garage"...i could not agree more..thanks,joey
Old 02-14-2006, 01:25 AM
Giantman
Racer

Unfortunately that is typical of my experience with these 'modern' Porsche owners. Drivers of 996's and up tend to not even acknowledge the older cars. I don't know if it's snobbery, elitism or just plain ignorance (proabaly a combination of all three). However it makes spotting a true enthusiast a lot easier because you know that no matter what they drive they will always tip their hat in acknowledgement of the Porsche heritage.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:24 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Same thing happens with the VW crowd.
Most folks I've seen driving a new beetle don't wave or give a hoot if an aircooled bug passes by.
There is still a disconnect between the Air-cooled and water-cooled drivers.

Even when I used to have an 02 NB the other NB driver wouldn't even wave or toot their horns.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Funny.. when I was in my 997S the only guys that waved back were the air-cooled Porches, FORGET Boxters or 996 boys. I actually started a post ove r on the 997 board about it here!

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/189765-to-wave-or-not-to-wave.html
Old 02-14-2006, 05:31 PM
lewis9113.2
Instructor

Flip side to the VW comment; I will wave to a Beetle (not the new ones ...) and usually I won't get a wave back; Beetle drivers over here largely tend to be students chicks, hippies or 'alternative' types so they probably have no idea of the heritage link.

I was looking over a bug at my kids school and I mentioned to the owner/Mom that her car was a cousin to my 911; she had no idea...and wasn't really interested anyways!!!
In this case ignorance is an excuse....but not in the case of a Cayman owner.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:39 PM
g5o
Instructor

Another addition...I own a Jeep Wrangler and a 911. I get more waves from Jeep folk, but that's usually out in the wilderness. Those people are typically more friendly anyway. There are so many Jeeps and P-cars in Southern California that its tough to even notice them all. I give and get waves most from enthusiasts with '89's an older it seems like.

Sometimes I'm in my Jeep and wave at a 912 owner and he just looks at me funny. Does that ever happen to you!?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:59 PM
AaronR968
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a Jeep wrangler right now (sold my 951 for it ) and all of the other wrangler's i pass wave at me. My brother drives a Trans Am and he tries to wave at other F-bodies and none of them wave back. When he is in the Jeep with me he always comments about how the "jeep people" are so much nicer!!

It was the same with me in my Porsche. When I would see another Porsche I would always wave 9 times out of 10 the 996 owner would not wave back, I just think they were focused on the road in front of them, you know enjoying their car!!

Aaron
Old 02-14-2006, 06:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I think buyers of the newer cars just may be generally disconected, they just see it as another car. I don't think they are being snobish per say , if you or I graduated to that type of car we would wave because we understand. I bet for many of these guys it is their first or second car, especially if their first is a boxster. Do you really think Cayenne drivers wave at each othe ? and would you expect them to ?

food for thought I guess.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:55 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i always get so pissed when i see a fellow porsche driver and i wave and they dont wave back, or the worst is on a back road when im kinda zoned out one will see me and flash his lights or wave and i cant wave or flash back in time. i get so frustrated. but for the most part i try to wave to every one i get a chance to, my dad taught me the tradition when i was only in elementery school when he had his first porsche a 85 944 and ill never forget the wave for as long as i live i think.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:01 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeep people almost always wave. New porsche people just look away or look real confused......WILL SOMEONE JUST WAVE AT ME!!!! I feel so unpopular.

Mike
Old 02-15-2006, 02:48 AM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

I saw 5 caymans at the Sebring 48 Hours this past weekend. 1 gray, 1 white in the paddock, 1 dark blue in Solo Driver's Ed, 1 race car, yellow and red, and the red Pace Car from Champion Motorsports. I was working a corner for SCCA, and the only wave I got was a beep and wave from the pace car on the pace lap of each race...I always wave, and it is mostly older 911 and 944 drivers who respond unless it is at a DE.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, I have got to pipe in here and defend the "996 and Boxster boys". Please don't generalize. I owned a '99 Boxster and currently own an '02 996. I would consider myself a Porsche enthusiast, reading and trying to learn as much as I can about Porsche. Way back in '99 when I first got my Boxster I waved, flashed, honked whenever I saw another Porsche on the road. I would have to say that 9 out of 10 times I got nothing back. Usually, the drivers were 50 year-olds and older, typically in air-cooled 911's or 944's. I started to get a complex about being a "younger" guy with one of those new cars. Was it the car they didn't like? Was it their arrogance? Got me! All I know is things haven't changed since I got the 996 or the 1987 911. I still flash or wave, but don't expect anything back. And still don't get anything back. Not all 996, 986, 997, 987 owners are clueless to the heritage of Porsche. My .02.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:24 PM
g5o
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michael Pillay
Jeep people almost always wave. New porsche people just look away or look real confused......WILL SOMEONE JUST WAVE AT ME!!!! I feel so unpopular.

Mike
Old 02-15-2006, 12:40 PM
redidrum
Pro

Old 02-15-2006, 04:04 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the waves. I feel much better now. Also thanks for using all your fingers while waving.
Mike

Quick Reply: drove next to a cayman today