Crashing CGTs..

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 04:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts
Default Crashing CGTs..

Hey guys

Just a funny quick note. I saw something in the paper about "another Carrera GT crashing . " I asked on the CGT forum and boy are some of those guys defensive. Makes you glad you are part of a forum like ours where we can be objective about things .. sort of
Old 02-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Maybe they're a bit touchy because fellow Rennlister and all around good guy Ben Keaton perished in a CGT last year...
Old 02-12-2006, 07:39 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I have seen the name on Dan's posts before, but not before that , was he a profesional racer or just a regular guy like us ... well, me .. ?
Old 02-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Ice,

I didn't know Ben but, AFAIK, he was not a pro race or even an amatuer racer but "simply" just a guy who tracked his CGT at a DE event at Fontana and lost his life, along with a passenger Cory Rudl.

Try doing a search under Ben's name in the CGT forum. Also, try googling his name. Lots of stuff out there.

This is the official Ben Keaton Memorial website: http://www.kozmanautos.com/benlj.htm
Old 02-12-2006, 09:45 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. It’s just a different forum/different crowd. Similar to F-Chat in many ways from the topics & poster attitude. The owners get very defensive about their babies. Kind of like here & certainly understandable. They are very expensive cars & seemingly true thoroughbreds whose image has not been helped by the growing rep (deserved or undeserved) of the touchiness of the CGT.

The CGT & CGT owners are not alone however, as there has been numerous reports of crashed Enzos, Murcies, Gallardos etc etc on other forums. The more supercars on the road, the more that will smack up. And the net surfin’ public loves to read & pontificate endlessly about it. The automotive equivalent of 'Star' gossip. If you visit F-Chat, it reads the same. But it & the ego driven L-Power are also filled with wannabes & pimply faced never will bes. Thankfully older 911 forums don't draw that crowd.

As you said, we are thankful for the sedate attitude of the air-cooled 911 portion of Rennlist. Pelican is faster & rowdier but Rennlist is always a nice haven. Throw in the expert advice we get from Pete & Steve et al & it's more than worth the membership. And the free websites are cool too.

Ian
Old 02-12-2006, 10:16 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

when you can afford the ticket to that kind of ride, being an being a snotty, stuck up, arogant a$$, usually goes with the territory 90% of the time, and most of them can buy the car, but not the talent to wheel it, then there is the 10% or so that will let you climb in their Ferrari and take you for a ride and know how to drive, and sometimes, throw you the keys. I had a customer of mine who let me drive what ever he owned and was just a plain super cool guy.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well enough said I guess. I did find out about the Pelican group the hard way. Make a mistake and those guys can chew you up and spit you out. Most of the guys are okay, just the odd one. We are petty lucky here, a good mix of pro's amateurs , drivers and mechanics.

have a great one guys.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:18 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I went over to see what the hub-bub was, and MAN, there are some real ****** in the CGT forum. I like it here better too,

All of you P-car huys in SoCal, feel free to come and hang out on SOCALEURO.COM It has alot of VW Audi content, but I've been trying to mix in some P-car people for awhile We have regular meets in Socal every week from L.A., to O.C. to S.D. and ALL euros are welcome, we have BMW, Saab, Volvo, VW, Audi....., even a few of our members that used to have a euro that have a G35 or STI still hang out, super friendly
Old 02-13-2006, 10:45 AM
art
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was at a local salvage auction last week.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

ouch ...
Old 02-13-2006, 01:20 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

C-GT is an extremely fast car with capabilities that would challenge a professional race car driver... even a competent amateur can get way over their head real quick... such capable cars can create a false sense of confidence.... when something does go wrong, it goes real real wrong... and it attracts attention.... when someone stuffs a 911, its no big deal....when they stuff a C-GT, its a post.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I must admit I stopped last year when I saw somone had crashed his 911 and they were waiting for police and the like. looked like he spun it into a guardrail . He and his paasanger were fine and looked to be in good spirits given the circumstances...... regardless I didn't think it was the right time to be asking him if he'd be parting it out ! .. figured he might not see the humour in it !
Old 02-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to tell people who owned, or were ready to buy, Turbos that they should sign up for a Bondurant course - first. And those cars only had 300 HP! The CGT, at over 600, must be driven with a very serious demeanor and a very high level of concentration. I'm told that they are evil with the electronics turned off, and one must expect that. The combination of F1 crashes on TV where drivers walk away, combined with an air of invincibility that can come with being rich, give confidence to those without the skill to read or control the car. A guy with a 100 mph brain (the max point at which things still happen in slow motion) can't drive a 190 mph car, period. He must build up to that point, from personal experience many humans are incapable of having a 150 + mph brain. And now we have the cars already mentioned, along with Z06s. When owners choose to put the loud pedal down on those cars, look out. There are not a lot of Schumis out there, which, of course, makes the 7-time World Champ special. Guys like him operate at another level. BTW, has anyone noticed the recent stats regarding Baby Boomers and their newly aquired Harleys? Ouch!
Pete
Old 02-13-2006, 04:32 PM
art
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's not too different from the GTOs, mustangs, etc from the 70's when kids would buy them and wreck them quickly. Very potent cars with limited stopping/cornering ability driven by someone with no experience equates somewhat to an extremely potent car with limits that are so high that people can't experience them without getting into trouble.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:08 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Similar in some ways...

Having been one of those kids (GTO and only a nasty scare and bumper damage) I'll say that the performance envolope of those cars was big for hp/torque (speed in a straight line) but lousy for handling and braking. It was just arocket sled with no real overall ability. Great fun tho...

Quick Reply: Crashing CGTs..