Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

NADA pricing

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 05:38 PM
peteweishaupt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NADA pricing

I'm new to the 911 and have been searching for a 3.2 since May of '05. I have been hoping for an '87 or '88. Does anyone use the NADA guide? It seems like most of the 3.2's I come across are placed a couple thousand over NADA retail. (I live in Northern Virginia)

Thanks,

Pete
Old 02-05-2006, 06:59 PM
stormmaster
Instructor

I just purchased an 87....and yes I paid over NADA....most of the good ones will be over NADA....it is just a GUIDE....not a bible...NADA is used mainly for financial institutions, used car dealers, and insurance companies to aid in determining a value...but it still comes down to what you are willing to pay what the seller is willing to take....values for older cars are very hard to determine with any accuracy....I suggest you determine what you are willing to pay both in initial purchase price and needed repairs after the purchase...and go from there...remember these cars are over 20 years old....but are still very sought after (especially the nice ones) therefore you will have to pay a premium price....its not like you can go to the dealer and buy one....87 88 89 were not imported in big numbers....keep looking....dont give up...if it turns out that a carrera is out of your budget, there is nothing wrong with owning an SC or earlier car....there are still fine examples of those out there as well...
Old 02-05-2006, 09:06 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As storm said, NADA means nada except to insurers - which is a good reason to get an appraisal & a policy which accepts it.

Pricing for the same car can vary $5K depending on whether it is eBay, a dealer or a PCA guy whose blood & sweat maintained the car. For a decent G50 carrera, expect $17K at the lowest to $22K - with exceptions for trashed at one end & low-mileage concours at the other. It's all about condition.

Ian
Old 02-05-2006, 10:06 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My credit union seems to use the NADA when determining how much of a loan they will give me on a car. Excellence magazine has a good price guide. They just had one for the carrera 2's and 4's. I am sure they could also provide you with an acceptable range.
Mike
Old 02-05-2006, 10:47 PM
stormmaster
Instructor

it is used by financial institutions to determine what they will loan.....by used car dealers to determine what they will allow for trade.....insurance companies what they feel the car is worth (at least in some areas and is not always their final determining factor)....it is NOT used by sellers to determine what they are willing to take for their car...it is a guide and nothing more...along with kelly blue book...red book, black book CCC, and CPI....none of them agree on values....another thing you must consider when looking at NADA and the others....if you are looking on-line....those figures are national averages....NADA has books for different areas of the country....but even then it is not the end all of car values...the final determining factor lies between the buy and seller...
Old 02-09-2006, 02:41 PM
peteweishaupt
Intermediate

I just picked up an '88 Targa with 82K yesterday. I am waxed exstatic!
Old 02-09-2006, 07:10 PM
fluque
AutoX

Congrats on your car, post some pics. Where did you do a PPI in NoVA?
Old 02-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was quick! How about some info and pics
Old 02-09-2006, 11:17 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike

Quick Reply: NADA pricing