Forget the brakes... just drive!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 04:45 PM
carlitox33
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Forget the brakes... just drive!

Guys,

I took my "new"´86 3.2 turbolook up the mountains to some twisty roads today, just for the fun of it, and realized what an incredible machine the 911 is...

The first turns I´d be afraid to push it into the turn, ending up braking... even inside the turn, managing some "scary" screeches from the rear 255´s--- until I realized how much easier it is to concentrate on the turn and just go for it!!..no forced braking or anything-- The car would then just run the turn as a train would go on rails... not a movement!

1600km in 3 weeks... I´m in love!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2001, 07:02 PM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Enjoy, and remember don't let off of the gas or hit the brakes when you are turning. That is the fastest way to spin a 911.either brake before the curve and then get back into the gas or just don't brake and stay in the gas.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:01 PM
agent325
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a question in regards to a 911s handling capabilities........
I have an 88 coupe, and say i'm in a high speed turn at about 100MPH and I feel like the back end is getting a little loose, my natural instinct would be to let off, i've been told to keep nailing the throttle, is this true?
Old 11-11-2001, 11:20 PM
nostatic
Instructor

I believe the catch phrase is "keep your foot in it"
Old 11-11-2001, 11:41 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You've learned a lot already. If it is a decreasing radius turn, you may find yourself "in too deep"... which end of the car do you want to have repaired, front or back?

This is where DE really pays off, a) if you are experienced in driving at/over the limits, you are less likely to find yourself getting a costly & painful education, b) if you must "bail", you will know how to manage the realtime event such as to achieve the least damaging / dangerous outcome.

911s are so capable, the true limits are so high, but also sharply defined and therfore unforgivng of massive error... Vic Elford's book is a good story & well written treatment on Porsche driving dynamics (if only we were so talented!). I've noted that some very good drivers never quite get the "hang" of it, though they are quick in mid or frt. weight biased chassis...
Old 11-12-2001, 02:45 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Your brain will tell you that you're going 'too damn fast' and that the rear of the car would stop sliding out if there were less centrifugal force acting on it. You need to re-train your instincts so that when it starts to break loose, you push harder on the gas, letting that outside rear tire dig in and push your nose more aggressively toward the center of the circle you're turning.

It's one of those things that you can learn in a minute, but it takes a lot of time to really train yourself to react correctly. (It's also not something that I think is really appropriate for public roads. In my opinion, four wheel drifting through long sweepers should be saved for the track.)
Old 11-12-2001, 04:26 AM
carlitox33
Intermediate

Cool

Fully agree. I was trying to convey the fact that the car will go infinitely faster than others in turns... however, there´s a very thin line between "fast" and "disaster".

I think an advanced driving course on track is the way to go...

...but keep that foot on the gas!
Old 11-12-2001, 03:42 PM
t.p.
Instructor

Kevin hit the nail on the head. Decereasing radius turns are deadly to 911's - if you don't know they're there. I crashed my 930 on such a turn - downward grade, decreasing radius off-ramp. Entered it too fast, and began oversteering (the downward grade contibuted to the lack of downforce on the front wheels. Luckily, my instincts told me that breaking at that point while still trying to make the turn would spin me out of control, so I steered straight into tthe softest, safestt part of the adjoining embankment. $6.5K in damage.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:27 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up

I was discussing this just the other day with my dad. He has just picked up a Lexus IS300 for daily driving and i asked him if i could take it for a spin. So i hop in and turn the traction control off and we go. Well, there's a corner up by my house that i usually take around 45-50 with the 911 and i do a 4-wheel drift sideways through it. No brakes, no spinning, no drama. The I tried it at 40, still accelerating in the IS300 and the damn thing just refused to turn. I jerked the wheel hard to get the back end to follow but it would not under any circumstances budge even with the TC off. So once we're through my dad looks over at me and says something to the effect of "you can't drive this car like you do the 911" and i just smiled back with a dumb smirk on my face like i didn't know what he was talking about and we slowly made our way home. But to anyone looking for a good stablemate to their 911 I must recommend the IS. Great looks, handling is very balanced and predictable with decent power, and legendary Toyota reliability.

later,

amir
Old 11-12-2001, 05:36 PM
t.p.
Instructor

Note: meant to say my car understeered when I entered the offramp.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:54 PM
bennetar
Intermediate

ZAMIRZ: Just wondering, how old are you? Your dad seems pretty darn cool...
Old 11-12-2001, 09:26 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by bennetar:
<STRONG>ZAMIRZ: Just wondering, how old are you? Your dad seems pretty darn cool...</STRONG>
17 in 9 days, a senior in high school. My dad's a pretty cool guy and shares my taste in cars.

Quick Reply: Forget the brakes... just drive!