Which Cleaning Solvent?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 07:49 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Cleaning Solvent?

My wife kindly got me a parts washer in the fall--one of those things I just did without al these years. It is now time to get it running for the winter works projects.

Ten years ago, I would simply have loaded it with Varsol and though nothing more of it. But, these days, I have noticed a very slight sensitivity to Varsol--a red rash after lengthy immersion--and am asking for advice.

Of course, I want something so safe you can drink it, while at the same time being able to disolve the most stubborne stuff in seconds. I know I won't get that, but wht are you guys using and where do you buy it? What are the pros and cons for the product you have chosen?

TIA and Happy New year!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:04 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

First, be sure to use thick rubber gloves!

There are water based solutions that are quite safe, but not as effective as non-polar solvents - not yet anyway.

I would find something that a company like Safety-Kleen will deal with and use that.

You have to worry about disposal you know... The waste companies like SK will come by periodically and change the solution for you - at least for a shop they will. If they won't for you... Call and ask if they will charge you something if you meet them somewhere. or... work with a shop owner and pay him something. I just did all my heavy duty cleaning at a shop in their parts washer.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:40 PM
unvinrougesvp
Cruisin'

Dave,

I have a saftykleen unit I bought used from a mechanic. Whatever solution they use is easier on my skin than the solution I bought in a 5 gal container used with my other unit - which might well be varsol. No that I do it often, but I have washed parts with no gloves and the saftykleen solution does not bother me. As Randy suggests above, disposal of this will be harder, but I plan to take the barrel to a local shop and have them switch it for me - or just go to saftykleen themselves for a swap. I am sure they would prefer it that way than to think their solvent was not being disposed of properly.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:38 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

SK and similar co.s can get in BIG trouble if they don't account for cradle to grave (inputs/outputs) of hazardous waste. SK had a large fine to pay some years ago for this. And they are "lucky" if they are sued by the feds or state and not by a citizens group.

So...
1. yeh, they'll want to keep track of their solvent
and, 2. the stuff is hazardous - so read the MSDS and treat it that way.

I see people posting on Pelican all the time about using various solvents, paint strippers, etc. I'm just glad they don't live near me, and are NOT in the same insurance plan as me. Cancer treatment is kinda spendy...
Old 01-04-2006, 01:44 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Just a thought about the SK stuff and its' disposal/tracking.
In order for SK to pick up even their own stuff, the user must have a valid EPA # on file.
(Or at least this is what our rep has told me repeatedly)
Acquiring an EPA # is not too difficult for most businesses that produce small amounts of waste. It is a bit time consuming as there are tons of things to read and re-read so that you understand what you are applying for and can be both responsible and accountable for the waste you generate.
There are plenty of regulations that are different depending on your location, type of business, type and amount of waste, etc.
Some will not apply to you, but beware: If they DO apply to you and you are either negligent or ignorant, the fines imposed as penalties can be extreme.
The biggest issue for us isn't the actual disposal or the costs, it's that you can technically only "store" waste at your facility for 6 months (different types may have differing limitations).
This sucks because if half a cup (4 oz) is in the bottom of that drum, it is considered as 'stored waste'.
The bottom line is to pay close attention to the rules that apply to your situation and follow them with religious zeal.

BTW, at home I use a product that Costco sells in 1 gallon jugs called "Oil Eater". It is water based, does a good job on most of what I have tried to clean with it, and it is bio-friendly. It will DESTROY YOUR PAINTED FINISH AND IT WILL DISCOLOR YOUR WHEELS, so use it carefully.
+++
Old 01-05-2006, 07:56 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone!

Well, that is not the respnse I anticipated. I thouhgt I'd get a few Simple Green endorsments or something. I had NO idea you 'Mericans had such stringent pollution laws. ?I'm surprised they even Sell stuff like Varsol over the counter if it's like that. We all know what happens to most solvent waste.

I'm not sure is SK is an option for me, but I am going to see if I can maybe get some from a shop.

Thanks again for all the great input.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave,

What kind of part washer did she get you and from where? Got any photos of it?

This was on my Christmas list but I did not get one.

Thanks.

Marc
Old 01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Marc,

It is a 3.5 gallon washer from "Princess Auto," a Harbour Freight type distributor in Canada. It is Asian in origin and is put together well, but is basic. The washer cost $CDN 39.95 on sale from $79.95

We are on the 'challenged' end of the economic spectrum on Rennlist due to my health (lack of it, really) so I was chuffed to get anything. SWMBO is VERY good to me about my car addiction and although she usually seems to think buying me stuff just encourages me (it does...but don't tell!) she went with it this time.so it was great to get it.

Sorry, no digital camera yet (see "economic" above) but next time my son is home,I'll post one.

Quick Reply: Which Cleaning Solvent?