Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

brakes....please read

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 03:46 PM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes....please read

my car is in for the 1st major service..oh boy..wheel bearings and shocks and new brakes and rotors.....help
how much should brakes and rotors,sensors install cost...80/hour
thanks....good news tranny and engine are great...so leaks..help
i thought this would be a 1100 service..and is turning into 2500..oh well..j
Old 01-05-2006, 05:14 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't say what year your car is. I did the same work on my '86 about 6 months ago. There are several suppliers you can use. The total for parts including shipping was about $1000 for OEM parts.

Zimmerman rotors: Front $125 per pair, Rear $150 per pair

Pads (vary depending on Manufacturer) Front $30 per pair, Rear $50 per pair

Sensors: I didn't replace as I check my pads every few months for wear

Shocks: Bilstiens HDs around: All four for a total of $450

Bearings: Front both inner/outer $18 per side or $36, Rear $40 per side or $80

Parts total will run about $925 - $950 plus shipping, so say $1000.

If you are a DIYer, that would be the cost. Since the front bearings are exposed when you remove the discs, there should be no labor charge for changing them out (except maybe for grease to repack). I did my own brake job and it took about 3 - 4 hours (that was the first time) now I think I could do it in under 3 hrs. The prices listed are rock bottom so add maybe 30 - 50 % mark-up for the wrench so now we are talking $1,300 - $1,500 for parts and maybe 6 hrs (a guess) for labor $480 (6 * $80 = $480) so you are at $1,800 to $2,000. This is why so many of us are DIYers.

Good Luck!

Regards,
Jim
'86 Coupe
Old 01-05-2006, 06:41 PM
joey c
Pro

i put the car in for service.i did not want to do the valve adjustment myself,then i figured to let them do everything..i have never worked on cars.but i see the savings in doing so.i just bought 101 projects and will be going to europe for 3 weeks,so i will read.
i used to be a member of the pca,so when i get back i will rejoin and look for some help on my next project.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:11 PM
joey c
Pro

I HAVE NO LEAKS..NOT SO LEAKS.OOPS
Old 01-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Joey: Most shops today charge about 6 hours labor for the major service, which includes the valve adjustment, oil & filter, fuel & air filter, plugs, trans oil, safety inspection, set CO%, etc. The bottom line for the service, about $600 - $725. Add to that about 2.5 hours to replace the shocks, and the shocks themselves will be marked up about 30%. Believe it or not, I know personally of shops that charge you for removal of the front struts (not necessary!) to replace the front inserts! Depending on the shop your bill for Bilsteins (less for Boges) will be between $700 and $1000. The brake job will make front wheel bearing replacement much easier. With the rotors off the car, cleaning out the hubs, replacing the bearing races (press fit), and greasing the new bearings should not add more than 1 hour/side, maybe only half an hour. Again, unfortunately, some shops will charge the full nut for bearings, as though R&I of the rotors was part of the job. In other words, they have no problem charging you twice to R&I the rotors. The rest is rear brakes (parts & labor), so, yes, $2500 is entirely possible. I'm curious, what year and mileage is your car?
Pete

Quick Reply: brakes....please read