Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

82 Turn Signals Circuit Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 01:17 PM
win4911sc
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 82 Turn Signals Circuit Challenge

My 82 911sc has both turn signals not working. A fuse (unknown) was replaced by the shop and they both worked. Yesterday when moving the hood light cover found a loose bulb which I removed. Afterwards, I noticed that the turn signals quit working again. Any ideas on associations to the hood light circuit or a single fuse that feeds the turn signals (which have two fuses). It appears that all other lights work correctly.
Thank you
Old 12-20-2005, 04:12 PM
win4911sc
3rd Gear

Figured out my own problem. THe engine compartment light on the hood had over time heated and expanded on the hot connention end thereby causing a short every time it was moved. Neither the 911SC service manual or the Owners manual makes any reference to fuse 11 on a 1982 being associated with this light nor does the elctrical diagram reference it this way (unless I missed it)... fuse 11 is referenced as one of the hazard light fuses. Hoepfully this helps someone else.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:44 PM
redidrum
Pro

Glad to hear you solved your own problem. You ever notice when you pull in a parking lot with turn signal on and park the car quickly that your turn signal light will stay on after parking? I had just changed my entire turn signal assy. in the steering column... fun job!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:22 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Europe, some people leave the turn signal on overnight so others can see the car in the dark.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:40 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Spider is right This is a feature to illuminate the car only on the traffic side, to save the battery. It is documented in the manual
Old 12-21-2005, 02:48 PM
redidrum
Pro

I understand the traffic side theory for safety, but, can't see how it would save the battery? Wouldn't it use up the battery power? What am I missing here?
Old 12-25-2005, 07:16 PM
ian911
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave means that it only illuminates the one side as opposed to both sides to save the battery. It will use battery power but not as fast as if more lights were lit up.

Ian
'84 targa
Old 01-12-2006, 11:01 PM
win4911sc
3rd Gear

Thought I had it fixed however, the car blew several more 8 amp fuses in position 11 (using 8 amp to minimize damage until corrected). It turns out that the backup switch located on the front of the trans passenger side had a very slow leak. The greenish trans fluid being 90W was like jelly on the bottom of the switch covering both the grounded screw in portion and some of the two lead plug-in connectors on the end (one is directly from fuse 11). This was occasionally shorting to ground under the right circumstances which could be hours to days and also being on a hill. I verified the findings by checking the area with an ohms meter and then disconnecting the hot feed wire from the bottom of the fuse 11 holder and then drove the vehicle for four days now with the turn signals still working. Now all I have to do is replace or insulate the expensive backup switch.

The leak was hard to discover even with the passenger side of the car on a ramp... make sure you put a support in place before placing your body under the car.

I had to use a flashlight and an inspection mirror to locate and see the leakage. Did notice a very small amount of dirt filled grease on the trans support brace but no leakage on the garage floor after days.

Very disappointed because I even had the car supposedly inspected (200 items) prior to purchase and the fuse replaced during this inspection and the Porsche shop didn't discover the leak or the cause of the fuse 11 blowing.

Hope this helps someone out as I have seen several postings including Porsche Club of America where this could be the answer people are looking for fuse 11 and turn signal outages.

Bob
'82 Targa w/49K miles in excellent condition

Quick Reply: 82 Turn Signals Circuit Challenge