Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Does the 1989 3.2 suffer from head stud failure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 01:05 PM
sslandry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the 1989 3.2 suffer from head stud failure?

I am arranging for a PPI on an 89 3.2 carrera with 77k miles at Automitve Techniques in michigan which is recommended by many in Rennlist. Spoke with Jeff JOnes (owner)who told me I had to worry about head stud failure in that car and should have the motor torn down to check them. I have researched the Air cooled 911's and decided on the G50 3.2 because it is a solid car. I have never come across any issues with head studs. I asked him if he thought I was talking about a 1979 car or a C4, but he was clear that I was talking about the 3.2 1989 carrera??????????? Is this an issue on these cars or is he confused?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-25-2005, 01:14 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't heard of that on 3.2's, only the valve guide problem. But, there's always a chance it could occur. Guys with more experience please chime in.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Scott:

Jeff told you correctly; these engines use the Dilivar studs that were known for failure just like the 911SC's. Porsche did not correct the problem until the 3.6 which used a steel stud.

That said, something like this should not deter you from buying one of Porsche's best cars as long as the PPI is OK.

Perspective is needed in cases like these and I'd remind anyone reading this that ALL cars have issues; some are simply worse than others.

Carrera's are VERY robust cars that were well constructed. Arguably, Carrera's & SC's were the very best, most durable cars that Porsche ever built and I'd not be overly concerned about stud and valve guide issues as long as the rest of the car is OK and you pay a fair price.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:39 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course Steve is right. He's seen them.

During my long search, I did a lot of reading on the subject. Bruce Anderson said in an article that Porsche started painting or coating the Dilivar studs around 1980. That slows the corrosion down but it still happens. Cars in hot, humid climates that sit a lot seem to be the most susceptible - it IS corrosion after all.

Some examples:

17K 87

84K 88

116K 84

So, spend the bucks & have it checked. Gaskets & oil would be necessary. I skipped the check on the car I bought, but did have it done on another I passed on (they were fine but compression & leakdown failed).

Ian
Old 11-26-2005, 04:48 AM
Wes Zane
AutoX

I replaced all the head studs on my 89 Carrera with 993 studs. At the time, there was only 16,000 miles.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:29 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,

Thought the stud used on the 3.6 was STILL Dilivar material, just a different design; fully threaded (apart from short cetre section) compared with the knecked, thread only at the ends, earier type?

PJC
Old 11-26-2005, 10:01 AM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've worked with Jeff Jones for years -- he won't recommend work just to get the hours -- he's been working on Porsche for many years and he's fair.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by pjc
Steve,

Thought the stud used on the 3.6 was STILL Dilivar material, just a different design; fully threaded (apart from short cetre section) compared with the knecked, thread only at the ends, earier type?

PJC
I've seen Dilivars on early 3.6's as well as steel ones. Most are coated, fully-threaded, steel ones.

993TT ones are different yet; a special Dilivar material.

3.8 RSR studs are yet another variety,....
Old 11-27-2005, 12:25 AM
sslandry
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jeff
I've worked with Jeff Jones for years -- he won't recommend work just to get the hours -- he's been working on Porsche for many years and he's fair.
I must clarify my original post. Jeff did not recommend that the motor be torn down. He rather suggested that it can not be diagnosed unless the motor is taken down to the case, Thanks for all the quik posts guys. This car seems really nice. Hope the PPI checks out well. I have been looking for 4+ months. the last PPI revealed all sortsof stuff not disclosed by the dealer. This car is for sale by owner. Seems like an honest guy so far and all the service records indicate the car has been well cared for.
Scott
Old 11-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott -- did you buy the Silver Anniversary that was on Ebay recently? Looks like that car was very well sorted out. The other area I'd have Jeff look at closely is the clutch -- with that many miles and 3 different drivers I'll bet it's ready to go. If you plan to replace the valve guides, might as well get the clutch handled as well. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Does the 1989 3.2 suffer from head stud failure?