911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bad experience with aftermarket part.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005 | 08:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Default Bad experience with aftermarket part.

You getr what you pay for... so true.

I am not going into great detail as the wounds are still fresh but I tried to use EMPI CVjoint boots. I didn't notice until too late that 2 of the four boots had been spot welded with the re-enforcing ring around the boot not lined up with the tinware cover. So after I got my CV joinnts installed on the shaft, greased up and packed and under the car on my back , the fun began , and of course I had one bad boot on each axle . ( insult to injury ) a 2 hour instalation turned into a 8 hour nightmare due to crappy QC on the part of EMPI . Sometimes it's just not as easy as send it back and well send you another . I had to forge forward and press on , but I will not be surprised when the fillings I got in the boot will destroy my new CV joints from trying to ream out the holes.
Oh well
Maybe with this heads up I will feel good if I can help somone else spend 30 seconds inspecting before the job starts and avoid this nightmare.
Old 11-27-2005 | 07:34 PM
85 M491
1st Gear

EMPI is now made in China and their quality is very poor. Don't settle....buy the best you can.

Just my .02¢

Quick Reply: Bad experience with aftermarket part.