New to board

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New to board

Hello, all.

I am interested in buying a 1986 911. I plan on picking up Peter Zimmerman's book tonight but am wondering what particular problems are found in this vintage car. And, please, no laughing...what is a "PPI"?

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:59 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, and you've come to the right place (along w/ Pelicanparts). Start with Pete's book, use the search feature to look back in the archives, and don't ever worry about asking questions...we all started somewhere. A PPI stands for a Pre-Purchase Inspection (by a KNOWLEDGABLE 911 mechanic), and is to insure that you don't purchase a 'good deal' that will cost you big $$$ in the long run. Do your research, and don't rush to buy the first one you fall in love with....there's lots of great cars out there, but you've got to do your homework... good luck!

Keith Craver
'88 CE coupe
Old 10-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the welcome and for the response. The car I am interested in buying is out of state. How would one go about getting the PPI? Is it customary to have the seller get one for the buyer? Would stamped maintenance records be sufficient? My concern is I am planning on going up on a Sunday and I would like to do the deal all in one day.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:31 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Hmmm....I'm going to confess that I purchased my 'garage queen' several years ago without a PPI, but it was only after talking with the owner extensively (he was a 'car guy', and I got a good feeling based upon our conversations). Even then, I bought a 'round trip' plane ticket (in case the car wasn't "as described" ...and after reading of other's experiences...few are). I flew up, the car was as described (a beauty, in mint condition), and I handed over a 'legitimate' cashiers check, and drove 500 miles home with the biggest grin imaginable! That being said, I rolled the dice (no PPI), and got lucky...do you feel lucky punk? (...just kidding...Clint Eastwood reference). Seriously, don't be in a rush...maybe have someone from Rennlist (or Pelican) who is local to the car give it a look first, maybe take some pics etc. so you get an unbiased opinion. Then if it checks out, arrange for the seller to take the car to a "knowledgeble air cooled 911 pro of your choice" and spend $200-300 to insure that you're not buying a money pit. Are you buying from a dealer, or a private owner? Stamped records are nice, but rarely will you get a full history on a car that old...(mine had virtually no records btw). Good luck in your search, and don't be afraid to walk away from a few before you find the 'right one'....you'll know!
Old 10-27-2005, 02:04 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would be a mistake to have the seller do the PPI at "his" shop. You can probably get a recommendation for a good shop in the area the car is located from this forum and arrange to have it thoroughly inspected before you travel to the car and get caught up in the emotion of the moment.

In addition to the usual PPI procedures, you should have compression and leakdown tests performed. along with a report of all systems in the car, not just drive train.

Good luck and I hope you land the car of your dreams.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
How would one go about getting the PPI? Is it customary to have the seller get one for the buyer?
Easiest way is to do a search here and/or in Pelican Forum for "PPI in *cityname*" . If you can't find anything create a post asking for shop recommendations where the car is located. Of course the buyer has to agree to it and get the car there, and if he has a problem with that walk away. The cost is your responsibility, and a proper PPI WITH a leakdown and compression test can run over $300.00.

Would stamped maintenance records be sufficient? My concern is I am planning on going up on a Sunday and I would like to do the deal all in one day.
Not unless one of them is a PPI performed within a few miles of current. The more records the better, "stamped" or otherwise they tell the story.

Good luck and WELCOME to Rennlist! Don't forget to join and add your support!
Old 10-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Great advice guys. So does anybody know of a good place to get a PPI in the Columbus, OH area?
Old 10-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Great advice guys. So does anybody know of a good place to get a PPI in the Columbus, OH area?
Did a search here for "PPI in Columbus"
https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php?searchid=623842

Did a search oh Pelican for "PPI in Columbus"
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/searc...der=descending

HTH
Old 10-27-2005, 04:17 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Look at the first post in this forum. It is a sticky that runs you through a PPI & all that is involved.

My suggestion: Go look at the car. See it & drive it first. If you like it, agree on a price contingent on the results of the PPI. Then get the PPI done at the owner's convenience & your expense. The results will give you a good idea of what you are getting into. And they can help you bargain for a better price if problems do exist & you want to continue.

I sent 3 cars for PPI in various parts of the country that all had engine issues before I found mine. The $700 I spent was much cheaper that an engine rebuild.

Ian
Old 10-28-2005, 08:19 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cowhorn,
Do have a link/info on the car in Columbus you are looking at? There was a black 911SC that I almost bought last year that was really in bad shape in Columbus. It looked really good to me though. Thank God I did a PPI. I had a number of people email about the car last year. The owner put the car up on ebay and lied about almost every single thing about the car. I dont know if it sold. I hope this guy is not trying to pass of that piece of garbage on someone else again.
Mike
Old 10-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Cowhorn: PPI, PPI, PPI! Absolutely mandatory. There are some really bad cars out there, and some owners who are as bad as their car. I've personally gone on wild goose chases, only to find cars that were so bad I never even took my tool box out of my trunk! Misrepresentation is real, far more, in fact, than KC911's wonderful story. He, indeed, got lucky! Contacting Porsche Club of America (use their website) to get a recommendation for a PPI usually works. If the car has had one owner that is also good. If it had one owner until 2003, then three more since, that's usually NOT good. There are additional concerns with an out-of-state purchase. If the car has a modified exhaust, or a catalytic converter that's been removed, will the car pass smog in your state? Is there a "hole" in the way the mileage on the service records track, indicating a possible lengthy stay in a body shop. All this must be looked at on long-distance purchases.
Pete
Old 10-28-2005, 04:39 PM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oops never mind. Just looked and noticed you are looking at a carrera.
Mike
Old 10-28-2005, 08:23 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Default Got more info for you

Thanks for all the great input. I really appreciate the help.

Well, I am close to reaching an agreement on this 1986 911. I located two Porsche dealerships near the seller and suggested one of them be used for the PPI. He replied that he didn't trust the dealerships there (friends had problems with them charging for "unnecessary" fixes, service guys are paid on commission, etc) so he recommended I use his Porsche tech, free of charge. I am a bit leery. I am going to try to find out more about this tech and the shop where he works. Any more advice?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Yeah, run away.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Cowhorn - don't go for the free PPI - you get what you pay for.

Marc

Quick Reply: New to board