Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New to board

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005 | 11:09 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Cowhorn:

You've received some REALLY good advice here.

Never, ever agree to a PPI at the place that the owner has the car maintained. The potential for a conflict of interest is FAR too strong and you are the one who will suffer any consequences.

Ask the local dealer if any of their techs are experienced with the 3.2 Carrera's (these are now old cars and many techs have never worked on them) and if not, find another independent shop in the area with an unblemished reputation.

Patience, in these affairs, pays big big dividends.
Old 10-28-2005 | 11:38 PM
ThePointman
Intermediate

Welcome Cowhorn :-)
Old 10-29-2005 | 12:20 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Default Another update

The plot continues to thicken. The seller and I have agreed on what I consider a fair price. I have spoken with Gary Aliff at Auto Assets as the Columbus guys recommended. Gary has been servicing Porsches for forty years. He said his PPE takes about one hour on the 1986's (mainly because the engines are bulletproof). Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

This morning the seller tells me that I can no longer come up on a weekend to pay him for the car. Apparently he has a lien on the car and claims the transaction has to be done on a weekday. Should I be running away really fast, or does this seem like a reasonable request? Pardon my ignorance.
Old 10-29-2005 | 12:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Cowhorn - The lien thing is perfectly reasonable, he has to pay the car off before he can hand over a clear title. He should, however, have a title on hand with the Lien info on it. In a cas like that I would (IF I wanted the car) see what the lien is for and go to the bank with the person and pay it, get the lien waiver, then do the rest of the deal. As for the "engines are bulletproof" statement, what I have been seeing lately is a lot of shops just look to see smoke and listen for knocks, then say you are wasteing time/money with a leakdown and compression test. On an 86 without full paperwork I don't agree with that logic, but that's me... Last PPI I had done took about 3 hours...
Old 10-31-2005 | 02:05 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Read my PPI article above, anything less than a full-blown PPI is only casual conversation. Also, make sure the car doesn't have a salvage title, which could cost you big time down the road when you sell the car.
Pete

Quick Reply: New to board