Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 drivers bailing out to buy Cayman S? is it real or BS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 07:49 PM
gregg911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fixnprsh
something of the sound of the fan humming behind you, the noise of the motor with valves that need adjusting, the smell of gas and oil and german interior
That is beautiful, you my friend are a poet!

In response to the thread, IMHO, the Cayman will attract the Boxster people, the 911 people for the most part are guys with a lot of cash and a desire to be noticed. These guys don't pay much attention to the racing history or the performance or handling aspects of the car. They are merely looking for something to outwardly show their accomplishments in other areas.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by gregg911

IMHO, the Cayman will attract the Boxster people, the 911 people for the most part are guys with a lot of cash and a desire to be noticed. These guys don't pay much attention to the racing history or the performance or handling aspects of the car. They are merely looking for something to outwardly show their accomplishments in other areas.
So "911 people" are vain, attention seeking posers with too much cash and know nothing of the performance side of their cars?

You my friend would be the 1st on my "Rennlist killfilter" if there was such a thing, but I see your not even a damn MEMBER here! It's sad to see such nonsense, obviously coming from someone quite CLUELESS as to the performance of a new 997. How many laps do you have in one? How many miles?? To classify people and a GREAT car as you have reeks of jealousy from someone that simply can't afford a car of that class. If someone can swing 60K max then a Caymen is the choice, 90K and it's a 997S, 120K and its a GT3 (or anything priced lower HE LIKES!)..

The other side of the coin is if I WANT a 2 seat coupe a Caymen may be the ticket, but that's only after I drive it to compare it with a 997S (and I have put laps and miles on one I owned.. guess i'm that POSER you referred to!).

Last edited by Gary R.; 10-28-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:18 PM
gregg911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that it was your intention but your response says a lot about you.

The thread was in question form Mr. Thread Hijacker. It read; "911 drivers bailing out to buy Cayman S? is it real or BS?"

I responded with my opinion. Am I allowed an opinion if it differs from yours??

Apparently not!!!

I also wish that you had a "Rennlist Killfilter" so that you could eliminate every opinion that doesn't agree with yours which judging by your response would leave you reading nothing but your own threads you pretentious self absorbed JACK@$$.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

My response said simply that you are a jealous fool that has no clue, and you are becoming an expert at proving my point. Keep it coming!

A wannabe with a valueless opinion based on a ignorance who acts indignant when called on a veiled attempt to insult people that happen to be affluent enough to afford whatever car they like.. which by the way Sherlock, is EXACTLY who the thread originator directed his question to. Who can better answer the question factually than one that CAN decide between the two cars?

Last edited by Gary R.; 10-30-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:48 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"the 911 people for the most part are guys with a lot of cash and a desire to be noticed. These guys don't pay much attention to the racing history or the performance or handling aspects of the car."

Gregg, I do not understand the perception of Porsche buyers as hard-wired personality types whose selection reveals only psycho-social dimensions. Your opinion is, at best, incomplete. Tell us the source of your view - buyer surveys, PCNA analysis, academic research, personal observation?

My own experience is that 911 buyers are quite aware of the model's racing history (Porsche sure spends a lot of $ to assure they know about it!) - the most extensive in Porsche's history. Performance & handling sets the 911 apart - even if not exercised every moment, these features strongly influence buying decisions, ownership satisfaction & marque loyalty. Porsche has suffered all "types" of buyers, from the inception - good!

I must agree w/ Gary on the 997. I have driven countless 911s, (beginning w/ a '66 model, almost 35 yrs ago). Every new version has offered something beyond the previous. Yes, some aspects have departed (smallness & lightness, for instance), but the unique underlying theme remains.

Gregg, Perhaps you should drive the new 911 & note the distinct charms. It is an exceptional sports/GT in the 21st Century idiom, their buyers run the gamut. Recognizing this is ok, not a knock on old 911s, the Boxster, Cayman or humanity in general. Enjoy!
Old 10-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Olav A.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
My response said simply that you are a jealous fool that has no clue, and you are becoming an expert at proving my point. Keep it coming!

A wannabe with a valueless opinion based on a ignorance who acts indignant when called on a veiled attempt to insult people that happen to be affluent enough to afford whatever car they like.. which by the way Sherlock, is EXACTLY who the thread originator directed his question to. Who can better answer the question factually than one that CAN decide between the two cars?

Another reason why NOT to become a member. Because of idiots like this.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Gee Olav, that hurt.. It's "idiots" like me that have had Porsches through the years that answer the countless questions presented here in a respectable manner and DO support this forum. I take exception to people that present an opinion out of ignorance, slandering a group (myself among them) of 911 owners in the process! Maybe out on the west coast MOST 911 owners are pretentious fools that have more money than brains and just buy 911's to impress someone, but I highly doubt it.

It's called "dissenting opinions" and this is the internet, get used to it. You don't support Rennlist because of this? WHO are you kidding, yourself? 237 posts here, were they all just to bitch?

Big BYE-BYE to you too!
Old 10-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Olav A.
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Gee Olav, that hurt.. It's "idiots" like me that have had Porsches through the years that answer the countless questions presented here in a respectable manner and DO support this forum. I take exception to people that present an opinion out of ignorance, slandering a group (myself among them) of 911 owners in the process! Maybe out on the west coast MOST 911 owners are pretentious fools that have more money than brains and just buy 911's to impress someone, but I highly doubt it.

It's called "dissenting opinions" and this is the internet, get used to it. You don't support Rennlist because of this? WHO are you kidding, yourself? 237 posts here, were they all just to bitch?

Big BYE-BYE to you too!

Everybody contributes to the counless questions. Everybody has a right to their opinion. No need to attack people. I read the same post you did and didn't think anything of it.

Also, some registered users ARE paying members but their account hasn't been updated to reflect that fact because of the manual nature of this system. So, it seems your comments slandering other members based on number of posts and membership status is out of ignorance.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

IF he was a member i'm quite sure he would have said so, and I would quickly have corrected any statement I made stating otherwise. That's not the point, nor do I wish to make it so. It is YOU that are NOT a member, stated it, and used my opinions as a basis for OBVIOUSLY continuing to use this forum yet not contribute financially to its operation. Try a reading comprehension course, I said it's "idiots like me", not that I personally answer all the questions presented.

And why is it YOU are still here? I'm going to let this die as it's getting boring, but i'll be around if you need me.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Slappy
Racer

Originally Posted by gregg911

In response to the thread, IMHO, the Cayman will attract the Boxster people, the 911 people for the most part are guys with a lot of cash and a desire to be noticed. These guys don't pay much attention to the racing history or the performance or handling aspects of the car. They are merely looking for something to outwardly show their accomplishments in other areas.
WOW ... you paint with a broad brush !!! Was it your intention to insult the majority of 911 owners ? If so, then mission accomplished.

I (and most others probably) would love to know your source of data and experiences that lead you to make such a statement toward 911 owners.

Ignorance and arrogance at its finest.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:51 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll offer a few $.02 opinions. I've now had 'classic' (83 SC, current Pcar), I've also had new ('02 C4S). Both cars had very specific strengths. Classic: lightness, raw quality, more involving due to lack of power-assisted anything, balky shifter,so-so amenities, timeless styling. New: buttersmooth shifter, gobs of torque and horsepower, easiest car I've ever had to drive fast (on track), nice modern amenities. Both varieties are very compelling in their own way.

A statement concerning the local PCA crowd: I'm a motorsports geek so consider my 25 years of following F1, sportscars, etc.... The local crowd for the most part do not have much knowledge regarding motorsport or Porsche's history, and many are what I'd refer to as 'gold chains'. There are a couple hard core track rats, but otherwise the local crowd would perpetuate the
'rich guy wants a status symbol' stereotype. I am not saying that I find that to be the typical Porsche owner stereotype, as I've met just as many hard-core track rats and racers that favour Porsche over other marques (but I met them at the track).

I wanted a Cayman more than a new 911, couldn't justify or afford it, but I love my SC. They'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Slappy
Racer

Wow again ... most PCA members that I have met, wether they be Concours, X-Cross, or DE types are very knowledgeable about their cars and Porsches on a whole.

"Gold Chains" ... yup ... met them too, but you will find those in any sports car niche ... but as I said above, they are the few, of all that I have met.

Anybody who has owned or owns a Porsche and hasn't considered the "head turner" attributes of the car ... the only one they are kidding is themselves.

As far as the topic ... I have driven the 997S ... I haven't driven a Caymen ... the 997S was pure heaven all around. Jury is still out on the Caymen.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:03 PM
MMD
Banned

I know guys who just want the best. They find out what that is, they acquire it and they move on. When the time comes they add to or upgrade what they already have(boats, cars, houses, women). So, you buy the 911, you appreciate it for what it is and you drive it and trade it in in a few years. You certainly don't have any time for chatting on these boards.

Then there are guys who are car nuts (like us) and they buy Boxsters Caymans AND Carreras.

I don't think the Carrera owner who just "wants and gets the best" is a stuck up, or a vain or an attention seeker, he's just used to quailty and can afford it and once possessed it doesn't obsess him or entertain him that much. Jeez, it would be a drag for him to have to notice every Porsche coming his way and have to wave at it, right? I mean if you're not a car nut why bother? There's different emphases on in some people's lives than owning a the top-of-the-line Porsche; that doesn't mean they don't enjoy driving/owning or appreciate it just as much as the life-long PCA member.

My $.02
Old 10-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I'd love to hear what Greg has to say about Ferrari owners! Maybe I swing the hammer a bit heavily when I see someone classify "us" (us can mean any group of people BTW). It's been going on since time began, and always will in one form or another. I'm sure the Porsche owners in the mid sixties were looked upon as elitists by some, and still are to this day. I have met people, as Slappy has mentioned, that act that way in my club, but the fact is that whether or not they owned a Porsche they would most likely still act the same way. The saying goes, "It's not the cars, it's the people", and that can be interpreted more ways than one..

So, if you are in the market for a 997 or 997S, would you concider a Cayman?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

" Its not the cars, it's the people" When I bought my first Porsche, a 1971 911 "T" with the 2.2 engine back in 1976 or so I immediately wanted to join PCA to enhance my appreciation of the Porsche mystique. I remember going to my first PCA event, a wine tasting progressive dinner type thing. In all my years of associating with different groups of people with a common purpose I have never met more pretentious, stuff-shirted, egocentric jerks assembled at one location, as I did with this particular group of misfits. For me its the cars, not the people. Since then, and 8 P cars later I have met many great people who happen to drive Porsches. I like them first as people, and I bond with them for the cars they have elected to purchase.

I don't pay particular attention to members or freeloaders who believe their opinions are gospel and are absolutely so narrow minded as to not listen to reality.

Quick Reply: 911 drivers bailing out to buy Cayman S? is it real or BS?