Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Post your daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 04:17 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Daily drivers. The BMW gets written off as my business car. I drive the 996 when I want to drive something else.

My weekend car is my cab.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:12 AM
cyinisis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oshin11
Wow 6 pages and not a single Honda Civic, or even a honda!
But it managed a Fiero!

Haha!
Old 05-19-2007, 05:14 AM
cyinisis
Advanced

Originally Posted by rentadate
I finally got pics of my Daily Driver before the restoration begins next weekend.

hey cyinisis Nice to see that I'm not the only one out here in the Metro Area.
Hey, nice to meet Porsche people around here =]. If you're doing the restoration yourself, I'd be glad to help.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:42 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Originally Posted by Miguel
A 320 Diesel BMW and/or a Land Rover Defender.

Both Porsches tend to be more and more daily drivers, but no quite yet...

AAh, and this marvellous piece of equipment here in this Avatar of mine!!!

The front one is my DD

Peter R.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:39 AM
911 in SC
Advanced

Default Hondas?

This may not be a Civic, but it is a Honda. Well, it started out it's life as one...

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Ok you Blokes,

When you see this you'll know why my 911's not finished!

1983 Honda Accord. Flawless silver duco. 200,000 Km. Runs on Gas, No, I mean "real" gas (LPG). Home made Bullbar fitted due to me having 3 Kangaroo strikes in the last 18 months. ( 2 more and I'll be an Ace)

Engine very tired. Even moderate hills require a downchange.
Returns 9 litres per 100km ( roughly 31mpg ).

I now do 500km every weekend in it instead of the 900 I was doing 8 months ago.
Total cost, post insurance company payout after a Roo strike and I bought the wreck back off them, $300 AU (that's $216 USD)

Owned it just on two years.

Frank
Old 05-19-2007, 10:58 AM
911 in SC
Advanced

Here's my DD when I'm not driving my Carrera.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2007, 11:03 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The photo angle on that Miata makes it look long-nosed like a Z3. Looks good!

Any idea how reliable the Miata engines are if you supercharge them? That might be a good formula to replace my vette.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:46 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Old 05-19-2007, 11:23 PM
911 in SC
Advanced

Originally Posted by LaughaC
The photo angle on that Miata makes it look long-nosed like a Z3. Looks good!

Any idea how reliable the Miata engines are if you supercharge them? That might be a good formula to replace my vette.
Thanks for the compliments. It's definitely a 5-10 footer. Mine is NA, but has nearly 140k on it. Stock drivetrain - first clutch, everything. I did change the fluids over to Redline when I first bought it.

Check out www.flyinmiata.com Some of the, if not the best turbo kits available for the Miata. Bill Cordell started out as a Porsche mechanic and now owns and operates one of the highest regarded Miata tuners in the world. Their kits aren't cheap, but are well built. Also, BRPerformance sells supercharger kits for most models too.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:13 AM
slapshot1997
Track Day

I have a 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX with the world renowned WRC blue paint. From March to November I usually use my 88 Carrera Coupe for about 25% of my daily driving chores. I don't lock it away for winter, but I only use it when the weather / road conditions are suitable.
The WRX is an excellent choice for a daily driver. I opted not to go for the STI since your potential repair bills will approach those of a 911 for an STI. The WRX has a decent ride, the turbo is well refined without too much lag and it actually seems to be about as quick as my 911 in a straight line (the WRX makes more horsepower then the 911, but I believe the lighter weight 911 edges out the WRX for power to weight ratio). The WRX's brakes are not up to task for the weight and power of the car. The 5 speed gear box seems to be geared somewhat similiar to the 911's (tall gears / you don't really used 5th a whole lot off the highway). Throttle response is similiar to the 911 when it comes to down shifting / blipping the throttle (911=Flat 6 / WRX=Flat 4). Fuel Economy is also similiar to the 911 (low of 22mpg, high of 26mpg / like the 911 it requires premium octane fuel). The cornering is ok, but there is a lot of room for improvement (a little too much pitching/swaying when cornering hard-you learn to expect the understeer inherent with an AWD vehicle). At speeds over 100 mph, the 911 is quicker / accelerates better. The WRX is governed at approx 145 mph. The WRX seems to fall off of its optimum torque curve after 135 mph, so it takes a lot of road to get to top speed. Braking to slow from those speeds in the WRX is awful (like I said, the brakes are not up to task), but I can't really fault the car too much for that since most people don't drive at those speeds often....if at all.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:43 AM
Grabeard
AutoX

Audi S4, but sometimes the 996
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2007, 01:54 PM
rentadate
Instructor

Originally Posted by cyinisis
Hey, nice to meet Porsche people around here =]. If you're doing the restoration yourself, I'd be glad to help.

yea, I am doing the interior by myself. Mine has rusted to the point where it is actually cheaper to have someone else redo the body pieces. I can afford a welding machine, but that would be more stuff that I don't need. College is a drag when it comes to needing space....always poor always busy.

But when i save up enough for the interior I will let you know! It shouldn't be that hard. I was looking at it and I have to say....If I had more skills in sewing machines I could probably do a decent job.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:38 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LaughaC
Hi Steve,

Wow, you always have great cars. I've been through an '87 928 since meeting with you that day in Atlanta. My brother's '00 C4 is doing fine, but he rarely drives it since it frustrates him in traffic. We did take it from his house to Road Atlanta a few months ago.

By the way, is your 968 normally aspirated?

Yes it is NA. there were very few 968 Turbo S built, all in Europe originally I think. I would like to SC it, but I doubt I ever will. It sits most of the time. Driving a 6 speed in Atlanta is just now much fun, so Sunday afternoons to the mountains is about all it gets. I ended up getting classic car insurance qwith limited mileage. that makes keeping it around a lot cheaper.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:40 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by smshirk
Yes it is NA. there were very few 968 Turbo S built, all in Europe originally I think. I would like to SC it, but I doubt I ever will. It sits most of the time. Driving a 6 speed in Atlanta is just now much fun, so Sunday afternoons to the mountains is about all it gets. I ended up getting classic car insurance qwith limited mileage. that makes keeping it around a lot cheaper.
I was looking for a 928 when I found the Weissach. I drove to charlotte to see a 928 GTS, but decided against it...90+k miles and 35k. I just happended across the Weissach and bought it. After I got it home I found a lot more wrong with it than I originally though. I may keep it for my retirement project thoug, as I've already bought most of the parts I need to rebuild it.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:43 PM
red67
Racer

Default daily driver

very handy to have a convertible daily driver in this part of the world
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Post your daily driver