Hi/Lo Beam Switch question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 06:08 PM
jdeuel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hi/Lo Beam Switch question

Hello!

Now that my 87 Carrera has (finally) passed smog, I'm moving on to other little problems... Sometimes, when I'm driving at night with the low beams on, the high beams will come on. The switch is still in 'low' position, and jiggling it will get the low beams back on. For now, I'm driving around with the high beams on so it doesn't look like I'm constantly flashing my highs at other drivers (that can get you in trouble ) Is the switch finished?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:34 PM
jdeuel
Track Day

Never mind-I searched the archives and found my answer! I'll be ordering a new switch...
Old 09-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually, if your mechanic is good, the problem can be corrected in about 45 minutes - no switch required. However, about 20% of the time, even if the problem is still in its infant stages, the switch might need replacement.
Pete
Old 09-23-2005, 09:31 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had this same problem, new switch cured it....

Jeff
Old 09-24-2005, 04:09 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replacing the switch is an easy job. It has a bunch of wires that connect to the back of the headlight switch. Go slow, and replace each wire one-by-one.

While you're in there and have the steering wheel off, if you're getting play in the steering column from a disintegrated bushing, this would be a good time to buy the "fix" for that. It's also very easy to install, and the part is only about $15. Pelican sells them.

Finally, it's very common for the high-beam switch to go bad. One way to prevent your new one from "toasting" down the road is to install the Sucro relay kit. They're only about $25 and they come with great installation instructions.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 37 Posts

Is the switch the same on 73 911E? I just started having the same problem yesterday (although I rarely drive it at night so who knows how long it has been a problem) BOTH high and low on unless I gently hold lever to keep high beam disengaged. When turn signal on, no problem! Any ideas?
Old 09-26-2005, 09:51 AM
bourgeois911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 79 has had the switch replaced twice, it will cure the problem for awhile. As you've stated, if you keep a slight bit of pressure on the stalk the low beams work as they should. I rarely drive with the high beams, so I siliconed a soft rubber washer to the steering column which holds the stalk in slightly when the turn signals are not engaged. I can still turn on the high beams by pulling the turn stalk and I no longer have the problem with the high beams coming on intermittently. If I thought that replacing the switch would fix it permanently I would purchase another switch, but history tells me differently. There are just too many 911s with this problem.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:07 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Relays reduce the current thru the the sw to less than .4 amp.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:42 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I don't think you can get the early switches anymore - you have to buyt the late 70's replacement & it has a bit different look to it.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:47 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bourgeois911
If I thought that replacing the switch would fix it permanently I would purchase another switch, but history tells me differently. There are just too many 911s with this problem.
Bourgeois: If you install the Marcus Sucro relay kit, you likely will never have to install another hi/low switch. As Ron said, by installing the switch you're reducing the amperage running through the switch, and by doing so it will last a lot longer. You likely will never have to replace it again.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:13 AM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There is a little two prong contact inside the switch that gets weak over time, on my earlier 911s' I'd just take the steering wheel off remove the cover to the switch use a flat duckbill pliers and gently bend them back. I know this isn't much of a description.

Porsche & 911 World had a DIY on this many years ago.

Good Luck
Old 10-04-2005, 09:52 AM
bourgeois911
Instructor

There is a little two prong contact inside the switch that gets weak over time, on my earlier 911s' I'd just take the steering wheel off remove the cover to the switch use a flat duckbill pliers and gently bend them back. I know this isn't much of a description.
I'll take a look at this over the winter. My cheapie solution has worked flawlessly, but it does prevent me from leaving the high beams on. I haven't missed them at all, my fog lamps seem to do a good job on dark back roads.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Jgordon
Racer

Hi there.

I used the method in this thread and saved myself $100. Plus pride of completion.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...highlight=beam

Hope it helps. I had drawn a picture of it at one point, but it seems to have disappeared. If you get the wheel off and take the clamshells apart, you can fiddle iwth the switch and it becomes really obvious both what the problem is and how to fix it. You just need to bend the high beam contact back a little.

I did this a year and a half ago, and it's been fine since then.

Quick Reply: Hi/Lo Beam Switch question