Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

So I found a 911...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 11:12 PM
dsmGST91
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I found a 911...

Hi guys, I'd like to get your opinion and ask a few questions. Up near Saratoga race track today, I found a little shop that sells German cars. I stopped and checked it out. They had a few 944's, a 914, and two 911's. The 911's caught my eye. One was a beautiful 1974 targa, with a beautiful metallic green painjob. It looked like original paint. anyways, next to it was a 1970, white. It had what looked like Fusch rims. Anyways, it needs work. The paint is gone. The interior needs carpet and a door panel. Fine, I dont mind doing a little work, then I'd just make it better. But this is what scared me. I got underneath, for how much you can get underneath a car in a parking lot, and the underside was rusted pretty bad.

The floors looked like they were gone, and you could see pencil sized holes in them. Now here is a question...are they unibody? if they are, forget it. The thing was rusted pretty bad on what looked like a frame rail. I saw that, and got up and walked away. I currently own a 1973 Mustang, which is a unibody, and rusted pretty bad. Thats why I'm getting rid of it, I dont even think its safe. However, I know you can buy frame rails and fix them, I jsut dont have the heart to do it to the Mustang, on the Porsche it would be different. The car is absolutly the sexiest thing I've ever seen. It had gold trim, and I cant remember, but it had a special model name next to the "911". Anyways, the shop was closed, but I'm going to go back Monday. If the price is right, should I buy it? I dont mind doing the work, I'm pretty good around cars. I cant do bodywork though. Anyways, let me get your opinions. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2005, 11:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I just got my 911. In my research I found out 78 was the first year for galvanized bodies and I told myself I was not looking at anything else. Like yourself I don't do bodies. If your floor is rusted out everything else can't be far behind. BTW my car was not particularly looked after. After I cleaned the inch of grime and filth from the bottom of the storage area and found the drain holes I washed the whole thing out .. the galvanized body looks god as new !
Old 08-20-2005, 11:45 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes, the 911 is a unibody. Early cars with extensive rust will suck up enormous amounts of money and time. It is almost always a money-losing proposition to revive a heavily rusted 911, unfortunately. The exceptions are cars like a genuine S or RS.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmGST91
I can't do bodywork though.
Unless you can do all or almost all the work necessary to restore a common car like a 911, buying a basket case to restore will easily cost you many times over what the car would be worth when you're finished.

Decent paint for a 911 done by a reputable shop could cost you $5000 or more. Any type of rust repair can get very expensive. Interior work can cost over $2000 just for parts (carpet, dash, door panels, sail panels, seats, etc.). You can spend $5000 in a hurry if everything is shot...

I think basket case cars like these that need total cosmetic reconstruction and have serious mechanical issues are best left to the junk yard/parts places or people with deep pockets and/or exceptional mechanical skills.

If you really want an early car, buy one that is already restored or is still a good condition survivor. There is plenty to do (to keep you busy) to keep a good condition early car looking and running correctly.

Just my $.02.

Jay
90 964
Old 08-20-2005, 11:59 PM
dsmGST91
AutoX

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Yes, the 911 is a unibody. Early cars with extensive rust will suck up enormous amounts of money and time. It is almost always a money-losing proposition to revive a heavily rusted 911, unfortunately. The exceptions are cars like a genuine S or RS.

Great, these are the type of answers I was looking for. I still think I might go back on Monday and ask him to put it on the lift. That way I can really inspect the underside, figure out how bad it is. Otherwise, I think its a pass. He did have a gorgeous (very early) 911, but it was more rounded just sitting out in the back rotting between two trees. So sad... I probably cant afford the green 911, as it was pretty mint. That brings me to another question. What should I expect to pay for a decent condition car? I hate to, but I think my budget may force me to get a 944.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Jay H
Drifting

If you are looking for a pre impact bumper car (before model year 1974), it really depends on the model you want as to what you will have to pay.

After watching the long wheel base, early 911 market for awhile last year (while my brother and I searched for an early 911T) it seems a nice 911T will cost $10k to $15k or more. An E will be more than that and an early S can get upwards of $20-25k really quick. There isn't much around worth buying for $4000 or $5000 and cars in these price ranges are pretty much junk or need extensive work to be nice cosmetic or reliable cars.

Hope this helps,

Jay
90 964
Old 08-21-2005, 12:17 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
I found out 78 was the first year for galvanized bodies
Just to clarify a bit if I might... Bruce Anderson writes that Porsche started zinc plating bodies in mid year of model year '76. The first few months after this galvanization started, only the roof was not galvanized. By the end of the production year, the roof was then also included in the galvanization process. So, some of the 2.7 cars benefited from the increased rust resistant bodies.

Even though 911's since mid year of MY 1976 were zinc plated, these bodies still can rust since these cars are getting old. So, checking for rust on a late 2.7 car or anything newer should be done prior to purchasing (just like you would on a non zinc plated 911) to insure the tin worm hasn't really taken a hold.

Hope this helps,

Jay
90 964
Old 08-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Rick Sylvestri
Racer

Default 1977 911

Here's a '77 with total galvanized body that's for sale
It's mine
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2005, 01:29 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

just out of curiostiy what do you have against 944's?
Old 08-21-2005, 01:30 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

DSM, how much were they asking for it? Rust is usually a deal killer for me.

PS- I live down in Albany, and spend a lot of time at Saratoga. (I was there today actually!)
Old 08-21-2005, 02:13 AM
dsmGST91
AutoX

Originally Posted by sracer
just out of curiostiy what do you have against 944's?

Nothing at all, don't get me wrong! Its just I'd like something with a little more power than that...I also have a 1975 Triumph TR6, which has 104 horsepower. It's definatly noticible, I don't think I want another car that slow.

Ted, thats pretty cool, I'll keep an eye out for you. I drive a 1991 Eclipse Turbo, probably the cleanest one in the Capital. Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:00 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dsmGST91
Nothing at all, don't get me wrong! Its just I'd like something with a little more power than that... I don't think I want another car that slow.
I will have to take you for a spin in my 944, then!

911s are something special. If you are looking for straight power on the budget you are talking about, you may want to start looking at other cars. On the highway, there are minivans that will outrun that 911 you looked at.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:36 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

I have an 84 911 now, but am looking at possibly picking up a 944 as a 2nd car. A great weight distribution, 4 cyl in this gas age sounds pretty tempting. There are some beautiful 944's around, much lower cost than 911's (example, saw a purty burgundy ~87 944S w/ low miles for $6500 or so on eBay recently).
Old 08-21-2005, 12:32 PM
dsmGST91
AutoX

Yeah, truthfully, I wasnt too serious about 911's. Its just since I saw that one yesterday, I figured I'd be able to get it for cheap, then I'd be interested. Honestly, I want a 928. However, I'm a sucker for the styling on the 944, its really pretty cool.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Saakey
Advanced

all i can say is think ahead...don't take this the wrong way, but you seem to be thinking about what a car 'could be' rather than what it will take to get it there. Don't buy a rust bucket if you really have no prior experience with working on them - you will never get it finished and you will have a car you can never drive. So i say no - there will be a reason you can pick it up cheap - because it's not worth anyone's time. buy a rust free, running car so you can enjoy a Porsche.

Quick Reply: So I found a 911...