Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.0 SC octane requirement? oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 11:42 AM
u_slo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0 SC octane requirement? oil change?

I have a '78 911sc and was just wondering what the recommended octane rating is?

Also does anyone have a link to an online manual of any kind for these?

I was going to do an oil change myself since it looks as though the Oil and filter are readily accessable on the right side of the engine, but don't know how much oil to put in and haven't looked underneath where the drain is yet.

I'll probably be posting a number of these type questions until I learn a few more things about these cars

Any input is appreciated!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:08 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

It is failry easy and not too expensive to obtain an owners manual on Ebay or from other sources listed in the classifieds of Excellence or Panorama magaizines. I would suggest subscribing to Excellence and joining PCA. With such a post, I feel compelled to lend a hand. I will gladly send you the factory shop manuals on CD for your car if you send me a blank CD with a return self addressed postage paid envelope.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:07 PM
JBO
Instructor

Manual says 87 octane, but most of us use high test due to concerns over detonation and not being able to hear it if it happens. There are 2 oil drain plugs - on the tank and engine. Have a large drain pan. You will need about 12 qts. System holds 13.5, but all will not drain as some will be in the lines. Check when warm and with engine running, and fill to halfway point on dipstick - NOT to the full mark.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

Whatever the highest octane is for your area, 90, 91, 92, 93 octane will be what you want.
HOWEVER.... you must have your timing set and your fuel/air mix set for that octane.
Like JBO says above, you'll get pinging if this is not set right.Good luck with your SC !
Old 07-23-2005, 12:04 AM
u_slo
Intermediate

Thanks for the input... I put in 89 because the car needed some fuel, but I also noticed that it seemed to make a little sound I never noticed before (ping). I managed to speak to the previous owner and he always used 87, so I'm going to have to assume that's what i should continue with.

2 drain bolts eh? and 13.5 quarts... wow.. I'll have to have a closer look... I was going to try and pick up a manual and have also have it looked over (and introduced to me) by a local mech... anyone got a pic of the under and where the 2 drain bolts are located?
I've noticed that I shouldn't assume anything with these cars -- took me some time just to find the dipstick!
Old 07-23-2005, 09:34 PM
red911 Targa
Advanced

Hi U-Slo,

In my 88 Carrera, the Owner's Manual says use 93 octane, not 87!! So, I'd go with the higher octane at least until you get more familiar with your investment.

As far a manuals, start with the owner's manual, then Bentley's, not Haynes and be sure to read the PPI static posting at the top of this thread. What all this will do is slow you down so your don't hurt your valuable car!!

These cars take a lot of TLC and don't appreciate any sloppy wrenching, but once mastered, provide a lot of just plain FUN.

Additionally, this thread will point you in the right direction, as we all love these strange and beautiful cars.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tom
Old 07-24-2005, 08:33 AM
944ZEN
Instructor

Regarding Octane. The '78 and 79' has 8.5:1 compression, that means it runs on even the lowest quality octane rating. In my original 79' german owners manual it says to use 91ROZ according to DIN 51600 or the same as "Normal" gas.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:20 PM
u_slo
Intermediate

Thanks for the input. I'll probably stick with the 87 for now.. atleast until I get an owner's manual and someone to look the car over. I'd really like to get more familiar with everything.

If anyone has an electronic copy of any of the manuals directed towards a '78, please drop me a line. I'd be greatful if someone would upload one to me! I'll set up an ftp server or something for you!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 3.0 SC octane requirement? oil change?