Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'88 Anniversary HIGH MILES what do you say?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 07:14 PM
rpm911
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '88 Anniversary HIGH MILES what do you say?

Hey- The fact that I am asking this question should tell you I have serious doubts, but here goes.
I am looking for a '78+ 911 with a budget of $11k (3rd car). I have owned 5 911's ranging from '80-'99. I found a potential car but it worries me. 1988 911, 250k, A/C not working and engine smokes a little all of the time. I am not good with a wrench and don't have wads of cash. The car is in NY (I am in KY) so I have yet to lay eyes on it. The pic's that were sent show Anniv. Edition seats and the right color combo so I think it is an '88 anniversary edition. 2 owner car with clean car fax. I can buy for $11k (needs new tires too)- what do you think? Thanks in advance for the insight and the fact is I can borrow some money on an '88 but none of an '83- of course that is short term thinking!!! I just don't know what to do!!!
Old 07-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 88 your looking at is a Commemorative Edition to mark the 250,000 911 built. I paid $20,000 for mine with 79,000 miles and in excellent shape. If it smokes all the time it is in need of a top end for sure and at 250,000 miles a full rebuild seem more likely. If you don't do the rebuild yourself your looking at 8,000 to $10,000 for a rebuild. There are many well sorted cars in the $14,000 to $17,000 range that need little or no work. If you are interested get a PPI and if it needs a rebuild $6-8k tops.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:31 PM
M491
Racer

No way in the world that car is worth that much, IMO.

If the engine is constantly smoking, it is very worn. 250K miles, that engine is tired and needs a full rebuild.

Of course, the trans is probably tired, too. And lots of other things on the car are probably very worn.

With just the engine and tires, you are looking at at least a $10K bill. More realistically, with trans and other things that are likely to come up, that car needs a $15K+ redo.

So you'd be at $26K+, or more, and you'd still have a car that cosmetically is a 250K car. Even with the $15K in mechanical work, it is still a 250,000 mile 911, that has limited market value.

I wouldn't touch that car with a 10 foot pole. keep looking. You can find a much, much nicer, newer, stronger, and cleaner Carrera for only $5-6K more. That would be money well spent.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:08 AM
rpm911
Cruisin'

Thanks guys- you have confirmed my "gut" reaction. Curiosity was leading me astray toward a reach for a later year. You know what they say- curiosity killed the cat- and it would have killed me too!!!
RPM
Old 07-17-2005, 12:50 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Since you are longer intrested, could you send me the info, including seller contact? I might like to imvestigate a deal for the car myself. I have a lot of stuff the car probably needs alaready and have a good daily driver Boxster I might trade to the guy for it. I am looking for a project on an older 911. Was actually thinking even further back into SC years, but an anniversary edition might be worth the effort to me, even with 250k miles, and especially if he is willing to trade. He could definitely get more out of the Boxster and if it would make it from NY to GA, I think I might be willing to deal. Likewise if anyone knows of similar circumstance let me know. 97 boxster arctic silver boxster red leather, 104k mile daily driver, everything works, uses no oil, and all issues have long since been resolvd. it even looks good with a few aesthetic upgades and very few blemishes. I also have a 968 cab and don't really need two ragtops. The 968 is a far superior car and will hold it's value, IMHO anyway. Older 911s represent my youth and are surprisingly easy to wrench at home for the most part. I built one 911, in my avatar and let it get away. the worse mistake I ever made, including selling a 63 split window vette for 4k many years ago, at least from an emotional level. Financially not so close tho
Old 07-17-2005, 01:10 AM
M491
Racer

Nothing wrong with reaching towards a later year. But there are a lot of these available right now. For an 86-89 Carrera, you can pretty easily find a decent, solid, under 100K mile cars in the $16-$18K range.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:51 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I haven't been able to so far. Everything I've looked at in that range has been worth much less due to one major issue or another. If I'm going to spend a year or more and 4 to 10k getting iy right, I would rather start in the 12 to 14 k range. I would lobe to find a well sorted G50 type for under 20. I tried my best to buy a really nice 78 SC targa that was in good shape mechanically and cosmetically on the exterior and couldn't get the guy below 20. The interior was a disaster. Found another realy nice SC with Carrera badging and almost didn't figure out the color had been changed, Once I pointed it out to the owner, who knew it, he was willing to come down to 18500 from 21k. I've actually been looking for about a year, although not aggressively looking, just trying to stay alert. I bought thiis Boxster as a result of taking a trip to see an SC. Couldn't pass it up for the price and thought I would be happy sorting it out, but it just hasn't cured the old itch. Wonderful car to drive though it just isn't a 911.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:28 AM
rpm911
Cruisin'

I have a whopper load of pictures the dealer sent me; send me an email and I will send them to you if you want. The car is located in Long Island, NY at Gullwing Motor Cars- www.gullwingmotorcars.com . They also have some 356's. The guy I spoke with is Frank and I offered $8k and was turned down. Frank told me it would take more that $10k to buy the car. Good luck!!! P.S.- they do NOT seem to know they have an Anniv. Edition car.

Quick Reply: '88 Anniversary HIGH MILES what do you say?