Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anyone Intersted in trading 911 Targa for Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 12:21 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Intersted in trading 911 Targa for Boxster

I have at least one too many P-cars but have this itch for an older 911 Targa. It has high miles(104k), but a very nice reliable 97 Boxster, arctic silver, boxster red leather. I am going to price it at 15.9k and take what it brings, but if anyone is interested in a trade within 200 miles of Atlanta, PM me. My preference is an SC with tensioner upgrade, but any Targa with AC hardware intact and Targa seals not brittle would be considered. Other than Targa, only Weissach or 77 911S would interest me. Trades up or down would be considered. Boxster is in my daily driver routine 70 miles round trip, every third or fourth week into downtown Atlanta. It gets better mileage than any other of the six cars I have, except the 90 Miata. Don't let the mileage scare you, problems have all been addressed long since.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:59 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Bumped up, this fram another thread

Since you are longer intrested, could you send me the info, including seller contact? I might like to imvestigate a deal for the car myself. I have a lot of stuff the car probably needs alaready and have a good daily driver Boxster I might trade to the guy for it. I am looking for a project on an older 911. Was actually thinking even further back into SC years, but an anniversary edition might be worth the effort to me, even with 250k miles, and especially if he is willing to trade. He could definitely get more out of the Boxster and if it would make it from NY to GA, I think I might be willing to deal. Likewise if anyone knows of similar circumstance let me know. 97 boxster arctic silver boxster red leather, 104k mile daily driver, everything works, uses no oil, and all issues have long since been resolvd. it even looks good with a few aesthetic upgades and very few blemishes. I also have a 968 cab and don't really need two ragtops. The 968 is a far superior car and will hold it's value, IMHO anyway. Older 911s represent my youth and are surprisingly easy to wrench at home for the most part. I built one 911, in my avatar and let it get away. the worse mistake I ever made, including selling a 63 split window vette for 4k many years ago, at least from an emotional level. Financially not so close tho
Old 07-17-2005, 06:20 PM
redtdi96
Instructor

Wish you were closer, I want a high mileage Boxter. In fact I just did a post on what my car 80 911SC was worth for sale! wanted a Boxter.

We always "find the fields greener"

http://home.att.net/~acr400/porsche.htm
Old 07-17-2005, 11:52 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Your targa is worth more than my Boxster, in my opinion anyway, based on what I read in your previous post. Not sure how older 911s are selling in NJ but 6/05 issue of black book cars of particular interest lists it at 13500 good and 22100 excellent. Excellent means pretty much concouse quality. My guess is your car is worth the mid range of those two numbers plus 10% for the low mileage, which gets into the 17 to 18k range. That is assuming it is as nice as it appears with no major issues. It sounds like you have been very attentive. Same book has Boxster at fair 14300, good 17900. With 104k, excellent isn't in the picture on a 97. I would also have to deduct 10% for high mileage. The mileage is higher than average for Porsche though lower than normal daily drivers. Bruce Anderson thinks 7500 miles a year is optimum for a Porsche. I figure the Boxster will bring around 15k in Atlanta, more if I sit on it and stand firm on a higher price. I just have this 911 Targa itch that won't go away.

My Boxster has a few scratches, one on right quarter panel is about 3 inches long and resistant to touch up without wet sanding, normal chips in the front, plus a fairly bad scratch on the front bumper cover where a trailer hitch decided to rest. Didn't bend or break anything, and the touch up isn't very good. I have been planning on doing a body kit if I keep it. Gemballa has one that resembles a CGT but the price is pretty steep. The top is in good shape but the rear window is cloudy and it costs more to replace just the window than the entire top I'm told. I have the interior and mechanicals in good shape, these is a bit of smoke at start up if it's left sitting for awhile, but it drives great, handles much better than an SC, although Boxsters do lack that inexplicable 911 experience. With right at 200HP it's quick. the PO did not keep good records, but the porsche dealer in Miami did most of the work on the car and has records.

The engine is original with no RMS leaks ever, no leaks anywhere, and uses zero oil. On its' second clutch and I really need to take it in and have mechanic go over the entire car before selling it, which I plan to do. Interestingly enough, the 911 SC in my avatar was sold to a guy in PA, when I was living in TN. He flew in on a friday night with a cashiers check for my asking price already made out in my name. He later sold it to a guy in MI and I have lost track from there. It was a 62k mile car when sold in May of 2000. I guess i had 40k in that car, but my son wa starting college and it just sat in the garage most of the time. I used the proceeds to put him though school. We are taking a vacation to DC in August some time, if you are interested, I am willing to drive it up there if you want to meet me in the SC. It would save me from riding in the car with my two 11 and 13 year old nephews all that way, so I have an ulterior motive as well. Either way, good luck on your sale and subsequent Boxster, You will indeed love the car. I'm going to trade my 2000 996 for a Cayman sometime next year, and keep the 968 as my wife's toy. The Targa would be my tinker toy. It is amazing how much performance you can sqeeze out of those 180 HP motors.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:33 PM
LR45
Advanced

I have a 911T 2.2 with PMO's dual plug heads, direct fire ignition, "S" cams. 51K miles
interested ?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:26 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 77 911S w new engine by MotorMeister

I have a 1977 911S targa with a newly rebuilt 2.7 litre and many extras such as stainless SSI exhaust, etc. that I would consider trading. Zero rust, new A/C, etc. I love the car but want my wife to appreciate the Porsche more and think a Boxter could make the difference for her. My brother lives in Atlanta and can help us arrange this. He has been shopping for the right C4 for several months. If he looks at the Boxter I can drive my targa down for a trade over the weekend. I'm in Virginia but can make the 9 hour drive with no problem.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:11 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Can you send some pics, VIN number? smshirk@bellsouth.net. Here is the vin for Boxster WP0CA2988VS623201. I will respond with pics.
Attached Images   
Old 07-19-2005, 11:17 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Default Let's work on the details

That looks nice, and switching from my Targa may stop me from constantly buying new parts. My VIN number is 911721211. I just ordered $700 worth of new parts, including electronic ignition, turbo valve covers, and two 8" x 16" wheels. This order has not yet arrived at my home. Let me know if you would like me to send you the invoice to consider before I return the parts.

My kids say they will miss the back seat, but told them you mentioned cramming two kids into the Boxter. Can the passenger airbag be turned off?

Also, I'm 1 hr West of DC. You mentioned coming this way in August? Are you interested in waiting until then, or should we arrange something sooner? Chris.Laughary@Adelphia.net
Old 07-19-2005, 12:05 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Could you email me more picutres and complete detials of the Boxter's options? My bother's Audi TT really benefitted from a sound screen behind the roll bars, and it looks like you may have added the same.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:43 PM
snakepitt1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 1973 91T Targa, motor rebuilt 2 years ago, transmission rebuilt as well, fuel system replaced, NOS seats installed, brand new targa top from CarsInc, brand new targa seals as well, tires have less than 500 miles on them, 15" optional cookie cutters, Biltstien shocks in rear, turbo tie rods up front, 911S front bumper, 911T front bumper, duck tail just installed, Carrera whale tail and deck lid as well, all gauges work, even the clock. MFI needs adjustment, slightly rich. One small oil leak which is hiding from me. Cross drilled Brembo rotors all around, painted calipers, new trunk carpet, new battery. I am just outside Birmingham, AL. I can be reached at 205-534-0309 or 205-507-3955 if there is still interest.
Thanks,
Scott Harris
Old 07-19-2005, 02:47 PM
snakepitt1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have records back to about 1985 on the car as well.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:38 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Okay, I guess I'd better include details on mine, too. My kids don't want me to lose the backseat, but the Boxter will get me to stop spending money like this 2004-05 list:

1977 Targa 911S. Many new parts. Professional Engine/trans rebuild by MotorMeister in 2004. Currently my daily driver, runs strong. Lowered with factory adjustable spring plates new Koni’s. The 2.7 now is just as good as any 3.0. MOTOR REBUILD New Main bearings* New main bearing seal* New Rod bearings* New intermediate bearings* Complete valve job* Bronze guides* Teflon seals* New oil return tubes* New piston rings* Connecting rods* New rod bolts/nuts* Camshafts Inspected and polished* New cam locking pins* New cam key ways* New one-piece chains* New front main seal* New rear main seal* Factory Porsche Oil thermostat* Porsche 'trombone oil cooler* Engine case Line bore* Case matting surfaces resurfaced* UP-GRADES* Port and Polish Heads and Intake Manifolds * Turbo tin * Turbo chain rails * Carrera tensioners * Head studs up grade * Stainless Steel Ultra Flow Muffler * SS headers TRANSMISSION REBUILD * New German gasket set * New German O-rings and seals * 1st gear dog tooth * 1st & 2nd gear synchro rings * 3rd, 4th and 5th gear synchro rings Kevlar Complete clutch kit * Clutch disc. * Pressure plate * T-O bearing MORE *New A/C lines and rotary compressor, Drier/expansion valve. *4 Koni shocks $800. *New Bridgeston RE950 tires *New Targa top cover* K&N Air filter* 11 blade fan * Short shift *New sound-proof pad in engine compartment
HAVE ALL REBUILD DOCCUMENTS AND RECEIPTS

Vehicle Condition

Interior has no damage, full carpet and headliner excellent. Body has no rust no dents professional factory match paint. Newly restored Targa top is a 5. The fold down rear seats are in fair condition, as are the leather front seats which have good sheep skins on them. Mechanical Condition is a 5 as well.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:52 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Sounds great! I didn't mean to imply you can get two kids in the Boxster though. What I meant is that it would keep me from having to listen to them argue with each other, as we would have to drive two cars. They would ride with my wife or we would split them up. It would make for a pleasant ride both ways, whether we do the deal or not. Those kids fight all the time. I wouldn't mind driving it up there at all, even if we don;t do the deal. There is probably a way to disable the air bag, but no switch to turn it off and on like a pickup. I will send additional pics when I get home tonight. There is no laundry list of replacement parts for the Boxster. It, like my 996 are remarkably reliable cars. Normal maintenance items for ther most part. With 100k miles it isn't perfect, but I don't know of anything wrong with it. If you like, you can have your brother take it somewhere and have it checked out. It runs, drives, and handles great. My wife and I have 6 cars total, so whatever is left outside is left covered up, except my old K5 Blazer and I can't find a cover that big. The Boxster has a silverguard to keep it cozy. Looks like I am getting some interest in a trade from several areas. I was about to list it for sale then find a Targa, but thought this might work. Over the years I've found doing a trade with individuals more satisfying to both parties than trading witha dealer, even though it is a bit more of a hassle logistically. I have looked for that SC in my avatater for more than two years now, so I have given up and plan to just start over with another one.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:11 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Trading cars makes a lot of sense. I have a minivan and an extended cab truck to use when I need to take both my kids somewhere. My brother is picking up his first Porshe in Atlanta this weekend, (a 2000 C4 Cabriolet). Is there a chance he can come by before then, and for me to bring my '77 down to you this weekend? If so, I will give him your email address to make arrangements.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:08 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Default Current pics

Just took some fresh photos...

Quick Reply: Anyone Intersted in trading 911 Targa for Boxster