Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Front suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 03:04 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Post Front suspension mods

Having crashed my 911 at Laguna Seca, I'm looking to make it a little better while putting it back together. I've heard about raising the spindle on Bilstein struts to improve suspension geometry, and (I think) increase the range of negative camber adjustment. I've also read about cutting and extending the front control arms for an improvement in camber adjustability. Does anyone know of shops that do this work, and what the best (and most cost-effective) way to go is? I'm looking for opinion.

When the car is done, it will weigh 2200 pounds, with RSR flaring, 10x12x17 wheels with 275/315 tires. I currently have 21/30 torsion bars with 22/22 swaybars. I'm going to get a Smart Racing rear swaybar, and I'm also interested in people's thoughts on what diameter would be best.

I've modified my strut mounts for -2 degrees camber in front, but I want more.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:33 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Jack,

I'm running the Smart Racing swaybars in my turbo. While it is much heavier, I run 27mm diameter both front and rear. They are an awesome product. As for raising the spindle, the RS struts have the spindle raised 19mm compared to stock. They also have threaded bodies so you can run coilovers on them. You can have the spindle on the stock struts raised as well. I believe there needs to be some strenghtening of the chassis to run coilovers and no torsion bars. The raised spindles do two things, keep the roll center from going underground when the car is lowered, and restores the travel of the shock. I've also heard that if you do the front, you must also do something with the rear (Rich Walton at Smart Racing mentioned this to me). I'd check with them and with Steve Weiner from Rennsport systems, both have been the most knowledgable.

Quick Reply: Front suspension mods