Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fabspeed muffler bypass

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Gost
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabspeed muffler bypass

Has anyone tried the Fabspeed muffler bypass alone hooked up to the stock catalytic converter on a 3.2 engine with Stock HX's and Cat?
What's the opinion on sound and performance? I would also think about getting the Catbypass as well after that so any experience/opinions on the combination? I've been to the site and heard the sound clips but want to hear from first hand experienced users.

Thanks

Gost
Old 06-29-2005, 06:40 PM
ClaudeB
7th Gear

Gost: I bought one last month for my 87 cab. Super easy install but loud as a drunk Marine (Semper Fi). I had it on for only one day. Couldn't really tell a difference in performance. Yours for $25 if you want it.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Gost
Instructor

Hi Claude, the loudness won't bother me. I have a Cab and have the top down 99% of the time with loud tunes blaring. I can see it being intrusive in a Coupe or Targa. I'll take you up on the offer as long as it's for the 3.2 engines. Do you have the Copper gasket for it as well or any gasket?
PM me with your contact info.

Thanks...Gordon
Old 06-29-2005, 10:06 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Great timing, sorry to burst any bubbles.

I just got back from the dyno tonight.

Baseline, November (ie cold temps) 2004:

Weltmeister chip
Stock cat, ~50k miles
Stock muffler

203.5hp / 185 lb-ft (corrected SAE)

Tonight, ~83 deg, high humidity
~58k miles
Same Weltmeister chip
Fabspeed Euro Premuffler
Fabspeed Muffler Bypass
(sounds awesome, btw, can't say it enough)
204.0hp / 180.6 lb-ft

Replaced Muffler Bypass with Bursch muffler
198.2hp / 179.19 lb-ft

Again, huge difference in air temps & humidity vs. last fall's pulls, as well as that much closer to scheduled 60k service.

FYI, your mileage may vary.

Oh, and for $25 I'd pick up the bypass pipe in a heartbeat - I love the sound, did I mention that?
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2005, 03:08 AM
Gost
Instructor

Yeah Fred....I did pick it up. I'm doing it for the "sounds great" urge rather that picking up some ponies. So your dyno shows a 6 HP gain with the muffler bypass...good to know and thanks for the info. I'm sure I will dig the tunes as well.

Gordon
Old 06-30-2005, 08:17 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gost
... So your dyno shows a 6 HP gain with the muffler bypass...good to know and thanks for the info....
Gordon
As Fred indicated, his dyno runs are comparing 'apples to oranges' (different days w/ radically different environmental factors), and you would be assuming a LOT to attribute his hp increase to the muffler bypass. Not knocking the bypass at all (in fact, I have a Fabspeed premuffler and love it)....just FYI.

Keith
Old 06-30-2005, 09:09 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Yes, I have a number of issues with the comparison. I'd love for someone with 3.2 Carrera dyno experience to pop on & fill in, if possible.

From previous dyno experience on other cars, I think the environmental conditions were a factor. The software's supposed to compensate, but I've always seen changes for the better when the air's cool & dry.

Looking at the numbers AS THEY ARE NOW:
1) There is a CHANGE between the bypass and the Bursch, as noted. Is this an indication the bypass is not worth any gain and the Bursch cost me 6hp over stock (since the power numbers are the same as stock exhaust before);

2) Or, as I ASSUME, the output was lower overall due to the environmental conditions (note the tq is down as well), and the bypass would have gained over stock, and the Bursch would have been equivalent (or nearly so) to stock.

Notes from the field:

Muffler hot, :grunt:
With the bypass on, the dyno owner strapped the car down using the rear tow hooks, and the driver's side rested against the bypass tip - he put a metallic heat shield around the strap, but when we disconnected so I could replace with the Bursch, we saw that the strap had MELTED nearly through - very unnerving, as I was 18" behind a jacked up Cherokee in the shop while on the rollers.

The new owner was also able to email all of my old pulls from my other cars too (including my old 97 Montana van, when my car was sidelined during a club dyno day). Here's why I love the Yamaha-built V6 Taurus SHO engine so much (granted, on Vortech-fed boost)... look at the flat torque curve!
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Gost
Instructor

Got the muffler bypass and Claude was right, sounds like a sherman tank. Good for track not so good for street. I will get the catbypass as well which sounds great with the muffler bypass. Until then I will shoot up the neighborhood! hehe!
Old 07-10-2005, 04:02 AM
Gost
Instructor

I installed the Fabspeed pre-muffler and muffler bypass last night and took her out for a spin today. I LOVE it!!! It sounds so agressively intimidating when I get on it and has this put you in a Zen state of mind when cruising at 3K rpm. It does sound a tad louder than the Fabspeed video/sound clip but I anticipated that as it's a given. There is a very noticable difference (quieter) than with the muffler bypass alone. I will play with the car for the summer like this and shop around for a freeflow muffler to tack on to smooth it out even more. Yes the backfire pop is awesome as well. It's just loud enough without grabbing the authorities attention. You could drive around all day keeping it under 4K RPM an no one would be offended but above that it screams like a Viper. The Fabspeed bypass combo is FAB-U-LOUS!
Old 07-12-2005, 01:40 AM
Gost
Instructor

I rigged up an exhaust hanger for the tail end of the Fabspeed bypass tonight. Was easy once I figured out the smartest way. I bought a exhaust strap hanger and modified it to fit onto one of the flange bolts at the end of the bypass.
The total length of the support was exactly 5 1/2 inches which was perfect to relieve some of the weight of the assembly off the exchangers.
I drilled a 5/16 hole through the engine skirt pan about 4 1/2" to the left of where the heat duct penetrates the pan. This was the most straightforward location and lines up perfectly with the upper right most flange bolt on the rear of the bypass. The left bolt didn't line up with anything really or you would have to fab some sort of heavy guage angle bracket and I think it would look like doody!

I fabbed 2 small strips of 14 guage steel and drilled holes for the bolt in each and used them for reinforcement on the pan which isn't made of very thick guage. I don't know if I needed to do this but it was easy so why not have some added insurance. The bracket came out excellent and you cannot see any kind of support from the rear of the car unless you put your cheek to the ground. I love this set-up and I love the way the car sounds, can't say it enough. Hope this helps you guy's with this set up.
You Fabspeed guy's have something you could either offer your customers or just let them know how to go about supporting the rear of the bypass. It's solid as a rock. Total tab- $ 8

Old 07-12-2005, 07:37 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Sharp!

I see your muffler bypass is already turning gold from the heat too...

Thanks for your praise of the exhaust note Gordon, I went back to mine too.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Gost
Instructor

I like it more each day. Man did I turn heads today with some 4K + blasts. Then I worry about the 3K steady cruising lulling me to sleep behind the wheel. OOOOOHHHHMMMMM!!
I got it that way from the PO who said it turned color after 1 day. I don't mind at all!
Have you ever heard of Super Trapp silencers? They are a kind of mini disc filled chamber that you can remove the discs to customize power and sound. Their name is legendary in the Dirt bike industry. I'm looking into it. Perhaps even using a silencer for a big block bike and rigging it to mount on the pre-muffler. I enjoy experimenting with out there theory's.

Gordon

Safe motoring Fred
Old 07-13-2005, 04:36 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

With the cab, it's a wonderific experience with the exhaust. Downside is, forget listening to the stereo, unless it's NPR or something. I get more positive comments about it. Probably the best one is that the kids in my wife's daycare are startled when I fire it up in the morning - it's a good day when you can scare small children.

Looks like I'm going to Putnam Park in Indiana next week (Tuesday drive out, Wednesday track time, Thursday drive back to Rhode Island). Officially, the track rules are no starting the loud engines before 8am, however I've been told that "all cars must be muffled" when I asked about a db limit. Think I can get away with it? I really don't have the room to carry the Bursch all the way to Indiana, just in case (gotta have some room for the helmet, right?).

Current weather expectations - you got it, Rain. My car + track time = rain. Add it as a Law to the Physics books or something.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Gost
Instructor

Yup the stereo needs to be loud, I've got 300 watts pumping out if I ever want to wash the exhaust out but I have not wanted to yet. My car startles my new pup at first but then she loves to go for drives in the open ai. Funny dog, she ducks everytime we go under an overpass, never seen this before. I would love to get some track time with my car but have zip experience with racing although I'd love to learn. The rain, well, sucks. Chalk one up for Murphy. Honestly I don't think it sounds too loud at all. It's not quiet but it's a performance car and shouldn't sound llike a mosquito either. I couldn't imagine the officials balking at your setup. Then again I have no clue how prickish these guy's can get. If you want to get technical tell them it is muffled, you've got a pre-MUFFLER on it. They didn't specify where the "muffling" is to take place so hey got 'em!
By the way I looked into Supertrapp stuff and the do have what they call Caps that attach to your tail pipe. They are 3" long and accommodate 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" pipes and are rated up to 400 HP. They come with 12 removeable discs but you can add 8 more. More discs louder exhaust and more torque and vice versa. Costs $ 78. Interesting. For haha's I'd fab a regular steel muffler bypass to attach this cap to and see what it sounds like. I have also decided to get the Flowmaster Series 80 stainless freeflow muffler ( same side in and out- good for 911's ) and run that for quiet day's. Reasonable at $168 plus a shop to fab connection pieces. Spoke to Steve Wong today and ordered his Exhaust chip. What a nice guy! He told me he's seen dyno's with the flowmaster and they were good. Spending cash here. Blew my original budget of $750 a long time ago but I've done alot of things to her (very bad things) and did the work myself and the car will be awesome when done. Sorry to go off on a tangent here Fred, I'm just excited.
Well good luck to you next week for track time and maybe you'll get lucky and just get a cloudy day.
Be safe!

Gordon
Old 07-13-2005, 09:57 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well now you guys have got me excited....... just ordered some Fabspeed parts and already went out to the garage and unplugged that HUGE OEM muffler!.....now I wait for the UPS man.........I just hope I can avoid starting it too often while I'm waiting!

Quick Reply: Fabspeed muffler bypass