Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Loose steering wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 10:50 AM
danoberer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose steering wheel...

All of a sudden the other night, I noticed that the steering wheel in my 89 targa became loose. It travels up and down about 1/2 cm and rattles annoyingly over bumps. It seems like a little tightening of a bolt is all that's in order, but I can't seem to get to it. Experiences, suggestions please...? ...
Old 06-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Quadry
Instructor

Or get a big scar on your forehead! I still show signs of getting pissed and pulling mine off as hard as I could!
Old 06-23-2005, 11:43 AM
tchanson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The movement you describe is more likely caused by a a worn steering column shaft bushing. The original plastic ones tend to wear over time. Its the shaft that is probably moving, not the wheel itself.

Its a common and easy fix. See this tech article.

The process just involves tapping in the new replacment metal sleeve/bushing over the column with either a long socket or a section of PVC pipe.

You can buy the part from Pelican for about 14 bucks.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 06-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Tim: Your avatar makes me want to cry - Michelin must pay!

About the steering wheel looseness, you're exactly right. I've found the metal replacement bushings work better than the plastic, but they went out of production a number of years ago. I do not know if they became available again at a later point in time.
Pete
Old 06-23-2005, 12:18 PM
tchanson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
About the steering wheel looseness, you're exactly right. I've found the metal replacement bushings work better than the plastic, but they went out of production a number of years ago. I do not know if they became available again at a later point in time.
Pete
Pete,

I'd never heard that the metal replacement sleeves (which if I recall are actually a 928 part) ever went out of production.

Pelican's website in fact shows 10 currently in stock, as of today.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 06-23-2005, 01:16 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

My 84 had the same thing when I got her, developed on the long ride home after buying.

Replaced with the metal one from Pelican, no issues since in ~7k miles.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:23 PM
danoberer
Instructor

Default Thanks!

Many thanks guys! I knew I could count on you!
Old 06-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Tim: There was a time back in '97/98 when the supply just dried up. We were selling a couple of them a month, and at the time we started using the plastic piece from Performance Products. I bought someone's entire inventory of the metal part in early '99, sold most and kept a couple of them for my car, so it's been quite a few years since I've looked for them. The metal part can safely be considered a permanent fix, hopefully the plastic part has improved from its early version. Thanks for the info!
Best, Pete
Old 07-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Ron Minson
Pro

Peter, or anyone else. I am having the same problem as this thread descirbes and will order the part tomorrow. The question that i have, am i at risk at all if i am driving the car? Or is it just going to be loose and not have the proper feel that it should have? I am not going to take it to the track but i would like to do a 3 hour drive tomorrow, but dont want to risk getting stuck somewhere cause i did not replace a $15 part and then there is the part where all of the other Porsche drivers make fun of me--which would not be the first time.

My steering wheel has about 1/4-1/2 inch play up and down, and like danoberer it happened over night, one day it was fine and the next not so much. It has kind of pissed me off and i have not been out in it for a week, till i could think about it.

what to do????????

thanks Ron
Old 07-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Ron Minson
Pro

bump--i have got to make a decision in the next hour--should i stay home or go
Old 07-21-2007, 05:40 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ron Minson
bump--i have got to make a decision in the next hour--should i stay home or go

The decision is ultimately yours, but you should be fine for the drive you mention. Provided that it is the bushing problem. I drove my 84 Carrera for a few weeks until I got the bushing, when it happened to me. My first replacement was with the plastic version which didn't last long. Then I ultimately used the metal bushing which I thought was a 944 part, but that was probably 7 or 8 yrs ago.
regards,
Steve

Quick Reply: Loose steering wheel...