Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Time for New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Tmack
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for New Tires

Any suggestions for tire brands or sizes. Right now I'm running Bridgestones.
255/40ZR17 on the rear and 205/50ZR17 on the front. Car is a 74 cab conversion turbo look. These are the tires that cam on the car.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:56 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Biggest issue is how you plan to use the car. Is it a cruiser or a potential track car? Do you drive much in the rain? Once you decide on your priorities, TireRack has alot of good info on alot of tires and rank them in different catagories based on use and performance.

For me with a P-Car, I'd stay away from "all season" tires and go more for a performance tire. The "Ultra-super-high" performance ones tend to be expensive, wear fast and ride hard... unless you are a back-road fiend, back it back a notch or two to a high performance tire.

The proper size is based on the wheel width.... these sound about right... you don;t want to mount too wide a tire on the wheel.

IF you plan to drive in the winter, get a set of snow tires on separate wheels... they are pretty cheap.

Generally, you can't go wrong with Bridgestone, Yoko, or Michelins. BTW... are these the actual tires that came on the car? If those are 30-year old tires, you are lucky to be alive.... get new one NOW.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:16 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Toyo Proxes T1-S or the new T1-R. Available in the sizes you have now. I ran the T1-S at Road Atlanta last fall (they were my streets, and I wasn't confident with the Kumho V700's in the rain).

Excellent handling & grip, pretty quiet. They are not grippy when cold, and they wear ~15k miles or so under aggressive driving.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:02 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was thinking about trying the Kumho ECSTA MX next, right now I have S-03's on there, same sizes as you. It seems S-03's have jumped up in price in the last six months and I'm kicking myself for not using a $100 off coupon for a set of 4 S-03's last christmas.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Tmack
Rennlist Member

This is a strickly street car. Never driven in the rain unless I get caught in it. I live in New England. Only on the road weekends May to November. Lots of country roads and Highway I95. Dont know the age of the tires. I've had the car for about 4 years. Definitly not original. This is turbolook conversion. car was in storage for a couple years before I rescued her or I should say rescued me from midlife crisis. Putting her back together has been a labor of love, not too expensive for a early 911. I feel well worth every penney as I could have spent twice as much in therapy and have nothing to show for it.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:30 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Lots of good tires out there - pick the one that meets your needs - driving style - budget.

www.tirerack.com

has some good prices and good reviews/info
Old 06-10-2005, 10:47 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

New tires will transform the car... its amazing. Also for what you are doing, a track-oriented tire may not be the best choice... they really need heat to work properly, and you'll never get them into optimum operating range on the street.

Can't go wrong with the Bridgestone SO3, Pilot Sport, etc. For a weekend car, the wear/ride isn't really an issue. I have Bridgestone SO2s on my 3.2 and they lasted several years of daily commuting.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:58 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from now thru June 15, www.tires.com is having a free shipping promotion. They're prices are competitive with Tire Rack.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:50 PM
911Mojo
Track Day

I second the recommendation of the Toyo T1-S'. I'm running a set right now on my SC. I've been very please with them. I've had the Khumo MX's as well as the Yoko ES100's (on other cars). The MXs were great, but tread wear was abysmal. I've also had quite a bit of time driivng a S2000 running the Bridgestone S-02s. I'm pretty happy with the Toyo's. They seem to be a very nice grippy tire, keep road noise in check, priced pretty well, and look like they'll wear fairly well. I also like the fact that they seem to support the grassroots racing efforts in things like Speed GT Cut, etc.

Also, remember, there are lots of other online tire vendors out there besides Tirerack. Don't get me wrong, I've order a number of set from them and they do a good job (and when they make mistakes, they correct them), but they're not the only game in town. Onlinetires.com sells the Toyos at great prices.

Mojo

Quick Reply: Time for New Tires