Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wide Body 911's

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 06:37 PM
John Cotter
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Wide Body 911's

I am new to the forum, but have been studying the 911 for over a year. The car I am interested in is a wide body 911. I think the years that was offered was 85-89.

I am looking for input on which would be the best choice. (I don't think I want to spend the extra right now for the 993 version). How difficult is it to find a nice example of this 911? Also would it be smart just to skip the regular wide body and go ahead with the Turbo? (plus' and minus'). Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:24 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
John, I seriously considered the Turbo-Look when I selected my 911 a few years ago. I suggest you "deconstruct" your thinking a bit further...
- why a TL? looks, features, uniqueness or?
- Coupe,Targa or Cab?
- are you price sensitive?
- are you in a hurry?

Buying the newest, best condition example you can afford is "Bruce's Maxim". If you are price sensitive, that means you will (likely) get a TL that isn't in as good condition as a non TL for equivalent $s - are you ok w/ that? I note a price differential of $3K+ & fewer TLs on the market. The equivalent Turbo is a good deal more -do you like the looks, the upgraded components or the performance?

For me, a very clean, vanilla (silver, actually) 911 was just right, and that if I were to go for the Look, I might as well go for the Turbo, too, and the much higher price (& operating - maintainence costs) wasn't tolerable.

You've got to determine your own goals & parameters, but any appealing 911 of the 80's in good shape is a fine sports car.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:55 AM
nate
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's my $0.02. I looked for well over a year for my 911. I knew that I wanted a wide body but didn't want the expense of a turbo (both in initial costs and upkeep). I ended up with an 85 turbo-look coupe (ROW) and couldn't be happier. The car handles and looks great, is relatively cheap to maintain and has been very reliable.

For me, the 3.2l motor makes plenty of grins and always offers predictable throttle response on the track and the street. I'm sure there are some turbo owners on the board who will chime in, but I'm a little cautious of the turbo coming on at the wrong point in a turn.

Ultimatley, I think you do need to determine what your motivation for buying a 911 is (do you want to track it, use it as a daily driver, park it in your garage and rub it with a diaper, etc) and find the car that best fits those wants. As Kevin points out, finding any 911 in good shape mechanically and cosmetically will make for a good car regardless of power or suspension set up. In the end, take your time and find the car that's right for you.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:23 PM
John Cotter
Intermediate

I really like the Turbo look and couldn't agree more, I don't want to have the extra cost of a turbo. I want a coupe and not in a big hurry considering winter is almost here. How big of a factor is the 4sp vs 5sp transmission?

That is my motivation for the turbo look. Also the car will be a 2nd vechicle. I plan on driving it whenever the wx is nice and maybe a few track days (ie. PCA sponsored with an instructor at first). Thanks again for the input.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:46 PM
HueyN
Advanced

Guys,

It is to my understanding that the 911 turbos did not have a 5spd manual transmission until the '89 model. Does that also apply to the turbo-look n/a 911?

Thanks
-Huey
Old 11-15-2002, 07:18 PM
neilk
Intermediate

John,

If you come across an '87 TL Targa with the VIN ending in 0183, please contact me. My mother's car was stolen 5 years ago and I would love to know what happened to it.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:19 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Huey you are correct on the Turbos - 4 sp till '89 (except Ruf 5sp upgrade). The TLs had the 3.2 NA drivetrain - meaning they got the 5sp 915 & then G50 transaxles.

I like the idea of the TL brake & susp. upgrades -they stand on their own merits sans motor. A narrowbody Carrera upgraded to TL specs is an interesting approach - all the advantages plus the clean & simple appearance + higher top speed.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:48 AM
Doug G
8th Gear

Go for the wide body for sure. I attached some pics of my 1988 Carrera. I am the second owner and it has 23000 original miles. I have thought about selling it for a Boxster, but always change my mind when I drive the 911.

Old 11-28-2002, 12:48 AM
HueyN
Advanced

Kevin, thanks for the response

Doug, what a beauty!

-Huey
Old 11-29-2002, 01:16 PM
Fahrvergnuugen
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got my Wide Body and boy do I love it!
I just took a bunch of new pictures of my 911s but I havn't gotten a chance to resize them / post them. Hopefully sunday night when I get back to school i can do it quick.

Check the link in my signature. The "Red Pill" is the wide body. "Blue Pill" has updated bumpers and side skirts on it.
Old 11-29-2002, 05:40 PM
J.P.
Advanced

[quote] I'm sure there are some turbo owners on the board who will chime in, but I'm a little cautious of the turbo coming on at the wrong point in a turn.
<hr></blockquote>

After you get used to driving it, it's not an issue at all.

Quick Reply: Wide Body 911's