Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First porsche ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 10:17 AM
2000wrx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First porsche ???

I am considering my first Porsche purchase and have a few concerns, questions and general confusion... lol

What I really want is a 930, but my budget says not for a while. Not being a patient man I am considering a 911 3.2 as something I can get sooner and enjoy while waiting for my budget to come around. The 911 3.2 seems to keep its value fairly well so I thought this might be a wise way to have my cake and eat it too.

I plan on picking up “The used 911 story” as well as “The 911 red book” so further my understanding of the cars. I am wondering if there is a particular year that would hold it value better, as well as colors and options.

Another option I have considered is picking up a Carrera and “making” a 930 street/track monster as this is my end goal with the 930. What 911 would make the most sense as a base for my end goal.

I have yet to research costs and quality of 930 flares, engine conversion costs (though I have seen some number thrown around on this) and other bits to upgrade a Carrera. My thinking is that perhaps I could buy a lesser 911 as a project (though this word always seems to = $$$$ and spend the money over time to convert it to meat my end goal.

I am not sure which would be the most cost effective route, at the moment I am leaning toward buying a nice 3.2 drive and enjoy, then sell and move to a 930 and settle in for the long haul.

Thanks for putting up with my babbling.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

WRX: To build a track car it's probably more cost-effective to buy a good used one that someone no longer needs. For track use you always want to start with a coupe with no sunroof (25 lbs up there that you don't want!). There are a ton of different ways to go, the best is to contact Porsche Club of America for a rule book that applies to their Club Racing program. Be advised when converting a narrow-bodied car to a wide-body (Turbo) you need more grunt just to turn identical lap times (the engine has to push more air out of the way). If you want the best of the best regarding 3.2 cars get a black '88/89 (Coupe or Cab), don't mess with it, keep it serviced and it'll probably hold its value as well as any car out there.
Pete
Old 06-02-2005, 01:48 PM
2000wrx
Instructor

Thanks, just ordered your book and look forward to learning a lot in my research for automotive bliss

I am thinking (for now at least) that the 87-89 911 3.2 would be my best bet for "investment", I can learn the car well, enjoy it for as many years as I need then move up to a 930 if I still desire that route.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:30 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read & research. Take your time. And don't buy the 1st one you drive (you will want to).

As above, get a nice 87-89 Carrera. You can step up to a 930 later or you just might not ever need to . . .

Ian
Old 06-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000wrx
I am wondering if there is a particular year that would hold it value better, as well as colors and options.

My thinking is that perhaps I could buy a lesser 911 as a project (though this word always seems to = $$$$ and spend the money over time to convert it to meet my end goal.

I am not sure which would be the most cost effective route, at the moment I am leaning toward buying a nice 3.2 drive and enjoy, then sell and move to a 930 and settle in for the long haul.
I would think black, Guards Red and silver are colors that have good resale value. Avoid odd colors if you plan to resell the car.

These cars are old enough that options really don't have too much of an effect on pricing. Condition is the most important factor now, so if a car has sport seats, spoilers, factory alarm and is beat, it won't bring more than a car with just minimal options that is in nice shape.

Original cars sell the quickest and hold their value the most. It seems everyone wants a bone stock car so they can do their own modifications to suit their taste. Taking a nice 3.2 Carrera and adding flares and engine mods will just lower the resale value. If you want a Turbo, just buy a Turbo. It's cheaper in the long run to get the car the way the factory prepared it.

1984 to 1986 3.2's can hold their value IF you buy them right. Sometimes 1986 cars (which I prefer myself) may sit a bit when trying to sell since some people may 'hold out' for a 1 year newer car with the G-50 transmission.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964
Old 06-02-2005, 05:49 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

here's your car - no affiliation - but saw this and thought of your post.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...95#post1945895

Old 06-02-2005, 06:02 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw that one too, Jeremy. Looks like a great car at a very fair price.

Ian
Old 06-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jay: It's nice to see that there are some out there that appreciate the '86! They are a helluva car with no glitches. Shorter shifter, large A/C vents, wonderfully smooth DME (they feel like they make more power than the '84/85s), most have power seats - man, I'll take a good '86 anytime!

Pete
Old 06-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Jay: It's nice to see that there are some out there that appreciate the '86! They are a helluva car with no glitches. Shorter shifter, large A/C vents, wonderfully smooth DME (they feel like they make more power than the '84/85s), most have power seats - man, I'll take a good '86 anytime!

Pete
Pete, I agree. '86 is the best of both worlds in my book. They still have the 'old school' 915 which I like, but they have the updates you mention (A/C vents, power seats, newer style switches, newer style steering wheel, etc).

I still miss my old '86 and probably will get another '86 in 2-3 years when the budget allows.

Jay
90 964
Old 06-02-2005, 07:48 PM
2000wrx
Instructor

Wow that is a nice car... I think I am going to try to keep my subaru as a daily since I wont get enough out of it to warrent the sale. I find that when it comes to bang for the buck I have a hard time when comparing others cars to the scooby.

I will shoot for 3.2 ownership in a couple of years, I want zero debt other then the Porsche when I buy, and should be there in 2 years. Provided the auto industry doesn't tank which these days you never know.

thanks for the info guys!!

Quick Reply: First porsche ???