Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

P21S Total Auto Wash vs Simple Green? Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Julia
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question P21S Total Auto Wash vs Simple Green? Which is better?

I am going to really start to detail my car in preparation for a Concours. I've read a lot about P21S Total Auto Wash. Is it really better than using Simple Green? If anyone has expierience with this product, please let me know what you think. I can't seem to get it locally, just am able to order on line. If some one knows where I can get it in Sacramento, please let me know!

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2005, 05:03 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never heard of using Simple Green as a car wash, but anything is possible. I use Simple Green to clean dirty parts, wheel wells, engine sheet metal, dirty wheels, etc. I personally would never put Simple Green on my 911's paint...YMMV.

I have been using P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo for many years. It is Larry Reynolds (Car Care Specialties) favorate car wash. Check out his website: http://www.carcareonline.com/
Old 05-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Julia
Instructor

Thanks Bruce. I was meaning as an engine cleaner, not for the paint. I've read about people using it for cleaning the engine and wheel wells, oil tank. It's just hard to find and I didn't know if Simple Green was bacically the same thing. I have that web site book marked! They carry the P21S product line. They have good "how to's" on there.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:19 PM
BER
Pro

Now I feel better about your car's paint.

I have never used any P21S products on the engine. I have had good success with Simple Green and Wurth's Citrus Degreaser (plus a little elboe grease) on both the engine and transmission housing. Gunk does a good job on heavy grease, but the lingering odor is a bit much!

Have your read Bev Frohm's detailing articles on Pelican? Here is a link to one:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...s_corner-6.htm

Happy Cleaning.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also use plain 'ol WD-40 for degreasing suspension parts and engine parts. It cuts greasy stuff pretty well.

Good luck with concours Julia! That's a great SC you have and as an amature judge (and concours nut myself), that color will work in your favor since we judges tend to like (subconsciously) different color cars since we see so many red, black and silver cars...

Jay
90 964
Old 05-26-2005, 05:32 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting... I've used SimpleGreen on my other cars' paint for several years (very diliuted mind you). I haven't used it on my Porsche... I forget what it is I used, but I bought it specifically for the car along w/ new washcloths and detailing towels.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
I've used SimpleGreen on my other cars' paint for several years (very diliuted mind you).
Using Simple Green will probably remove any road dirt that is accumulated pretty well, but it will also strip off any wax that is on the car as well. You'd have to re-wax every time you washed the car with Simple Green...
Old 05-27-2005, 12:35 AM
Julia
Instructor

Thanks Jay, I think Skippy has the "it" factor with his Cashmere Beige paint and chocolate brown leather interior with sport seats. I use Next Tech car wash for washing and Rejex for waxing. Rejex is great stuff. Really puts a nice gloss on the paint. This Wash & Shine is just that, no engine compartments being judged, but at the Shriner's Concours in June I am going to put him in the Street class. I am a novice judge myself. I will be judging the early 911/912's at the Wash & Shine.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:32 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting... I've used SimpleGreen on my other cars' paint for several years (very diliuted mind you). I haven't used it on my Porsche... I forget what it is I used, but I bought it specifically for the car along w/ new washcloths and detailing towels.
Ahh... if that's the concern, I'm good then. When I wash my other cars myself, and therefore use the SimpleGreen, I do wax afterwards. Other times I take them to someone to have done.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Jay H
Drifting

When I wash my other cars myself, and therefore use the SimpleGreen, I do wax afterwards.
Since Simple Green is a bit more harsh than a good quality car wash soap, I'd use Simple Green sparingly (like once a year) to remove an old coat of wax or to remove some stubborn road grime. I would think a soap that is especially formulated for washing cars would be easier on your car's paint over the long run.

Jay
90 964
Old 05-27-2005, 11:52 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BER
I have never heard of using Simple Green as a car wash, but anything is possible. I use Simple Green to clean dirty parts, wheel wells, engine sheet metal, dirty wheels, etc. I personally would never put Simple Green on my 911's paint...YMMV.
Bruce, P21S Total Auto Wash is a citrus-based cleaner, not a car wash soap even though the name sounds a little bit misleading. It's good for wheel wells, engine compartments, getting bugs off the bumper, cleaning carpet, etc. I've used Simple Green also, and I think the Total Auto Wash is better.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:27 PM
theclaw
Advanced

Simple Green full strength on greasy parts works great. Not for paint. Castrol makes a degreaser that I've used in the wheel wells and such but it is pretty harsh (wear chemical resistant gloves).

I did my engine with SG full strength with a rinse of hot water from a bucket (no jet spray) and it turned out great. Cleaned out 45k miles of grime.

Jeff
Old 05-27-2005, 11:36 PM
Julia
Instructor

Default Cleaning weekend

Today I detailed my interior! Oooh boy am I going to be sore tomorrow! I took out all removable carpets, cleaned the pedal cluster, seat rails, under seats, all leather, 303'd all rubber and vinyl and headliner. I left the carpets out and will put them back in at the Wash & Shine (nice to know how good my floor pans are). Tomorrow is the exterior day. Wash, wax, windows, rubber trim, door locks...the list goes on and on. I thought my car was pretty spotless until I REALLY got into it! Luckily, no engines being judged on this one, so I have two weeks to get the new sound pad installed and the enigine clean for June 12th!
Old 05-28-2005, 10:09 AM
BER
Pro

Dave - thanks for the info on Total Auto Wash. I've seen the stuff being sold at swap meets, but never tried it. I pick up a bottle next time I see it and try it on my wheel wells and engine.

Julia - with all your hard work, we are expecting you to win the Gold! Your unique exterior color should really attract the judges eye. I am doing an oil change and valve adjustment today. I will be doing the exterior detailing (wash, polish, wax, etc.) on Monday. No concours planned; I just want it to look good.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Julia
Instructor

I just ordered some on carcareonline.com I also ordered 3M Rubber treatment and tire dressing. It's supposed to be good stuff too. I was just looking at my "101 Things to do to your Porsche" book and I saw the oil change. Thinking of trying that myself. Doesn't look too hard, but valve adjustment??? You go guy! Those kinds of things scare me.

Skippy will surely derserve the gold. I'll be happy with anything and just with the feedback from the judges to. That way I'll know what needs to be worked on. But, do I want to win? Yes, Yes, I wnat to win!

Quick Reply: P21S Total Auto Wash vs Simple Green? Which is better?