Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Lightening a 1983 911SC

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 04:57 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lightening a 1983 911SC

Okay, they say that lightening a car is the cheapest form of horsepower, so I want to see what I can do to my SC.

Has anyone done any strategic removals of equipment,,,stock seats, carpet pieces, bumper pads, deadening material...anything like that, and have weight values for the pieces? I noticed on other boards here (like the GT3 board) people will remove stuff, weigh it, and post the results...very helpful. Anyone tried that here, or anyone that has done work and that has calculated weight savings?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Drew: When I did the original set-up on my PCA Club Race SC coupe (no sunroof) I removed the A/C - all of it, for a savings of just over 65 lbs. I replaced my factory sport seats with a version of Recaro (can't remember the model, which saved just under 20 lbs/seat. I removed the radio and speakers, replaced the front bumper & valance with fiberglas, and replaced the rear deck lid with a fiberglas tail. I replaced the battery and starter motor with light-weight alternatives, removed the door pockets (not the panels), the rear seat seatbacks, and replaced the exhaust system with a pair of SSIs and a '74 911 muffler. A little work here and a little work there and I was able to get the car down to 2640 lbs (PCA scales), from 2767 lbs (published). The 2640 was achieved after installation of a race-approved roll bar hoop and a large fire extinguisher (back brace for left seat was not yet required) so I probably was able to remove a total of 155 - 160 pounds. If I would have kept the car I could have made significant gains by installation of a fuel cell, and lexan at various windows, which would have let me balance the car with ballast. Have fun with it!
Pete
Old 05-19-2005, 07:11 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Here's a nice web site that has the weights of various parts that have been removed from their cars.

Rennlight
Old 05-19-2005, 11:07 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, guys! Great info.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:07 AM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 1981 SC RS track car which was considerably lightened by the guy who built it. He literally weighed every part he removed and kept a running list
of each item and its weight. Go to my website: groups.msn.com/porschelovers--pca
go to documents
click on "vera stuff"
you will see an entire list of all modifications made and the weight of each item removed, as well as total weight removed.

click on "pictures" to see the result!

Regards, Doug
Old 05-20-2005, 01:37 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Is there a way to look at that info w/o having to sign in?? seems to be open only to msn members or something
Old 05-21-2005, 02:28 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

I just tried the website and it seems to be working fine. You should be able to access it, you don't have to be a member--try it again. In brief, the car has been lightened by 304 pounds. e-mail me at dmw44@hotmail.com if you still cannot get in and I will attach the document to a return e-mail. I hope you get into the site--there are over 500 pix of my car at Sebring, PCA Club Racing and other Porsche race cars--it's worth a look!

Regards, Doug
Old 05-21-2005, 03:23 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

clicking on documents takes you to this:
http://login.passport.net/uilogin.sr...id=24002&vv=30

- you may not see it as it's your site and you prob. have passport
Old 05-21-2005, 06:35 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Hey Randy!
Here's the list of parts removed and corresponding weight(s):

AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM
compressor-York and all brackets
front condensor with crash bar, fan, grille
evaporator, all lines and dryer WEIGHTREMOVED: 67 POUNDS

INTERIOR
rear jump seats
stock leather seats relaced with Corbeau Forzas
all rear area trim parts-rear shelf and side panels
factory seat belts f/r front replaced with 5-point harnesses
all carpeting
all insulation padding f/r
center console w/ac controls
door map pockets WEIGHT REMOVED: 93.5 POUNDS

EXTERIOR AND TRUNK
rear bumper guards
f/r valance panels
front tag/bracket
fog lights
trunk panel and carpeting WEIGHT REMOVED: 26.5 POUNDS

MECHANICAL
engine mountred heater fan
cruise control module
rack/fuel pump pan
windshield washer tank/pump
new lighter battery
various brackets, bolts etc WEIGHT REMOVED: 45 POUNDS

ADDITIONAL ITEMS REMOVED/REPLACED
front bumper exchanged with fiberglass RSR bumper/oil cooler
rear bumper exchanged with fiberglass RSR bumper
heat exchanger sheet metal removed
power antenna replaced with manual antenna
heater parts, hoses, cables, valves removed WEIGHT REMOVED: 72 POUNDS

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS: 304 POUNDS

ITEMS ADDED:
pop-off valve, new motor mounts, Weltmeister suspension bushings f/r, braided stainless steel wires, Carrera tail, front oil cooler and lines, k & N filter, swiss cheese air cover box, Bilstein Sport shocks/struts inserts, 16x7" front
16x8" rear Fuchs (225/245 16's f/r), Turbo tie-rod ends and rack spacer kit,
Weltmeister short-shift kit, front camber brace, MOMO wheel/shift ****, Zimmerman cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Pagid Orange pads, braided stainless steel brake lines, ATE Super Blue fluid, Cool Brake kit with ducts, fire extinguisher, Safety Devices cage, clock replaced with oil light, lowered and aligned.

She is a serious "runner"...

Regards, Doug
Old 05-21-2005, 09:16 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doug,

Have you gone with a light weight battery?

What's the final weight on a scale?

Your car sounds fast and fun!
Old 05-22-2005, 01:35 AM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Cool

Eric,

I just replaced the battery put in by the previous owner. The trunk has a custom-fabricated tray and metal tie-down straps, so the battery has to be a small size. It measures 8" wide, 8" deep, 7" high. 675 cold cranking amps.
I purchased it at Discount Auto Parts. I didn't weigh it before I put it in...I just changed the battery in my 944 yesterday--I'm guessing the 911 battery weighs about half as much--the 911 battery felt really light when I put it in compared to the 944 battery. Sorry I cannot be more precise.

The car is a dream to drive. Turn-in is especially good. The 3.0 has been bullet-proof after many track days at Sebring, which has hard-braking corners, sweepers, long straights--a very challenging but fun 3.7 miles! Pix at:
groups.msn.com/porschelovers--pca.

I love the look and color of your SC in your avatar! I imagine it is also fun to drive! Do you run at Mazda Raceway? Just saw the Grand Am Cup race from there--looks like a fun course with great elevation changes.

As I think about it, I can pull the battery out and weigh it tomorrow and post the weight for you. Regards, Doug
Old 05-23-2005, 12:35 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Some other areas that impact weight...

Tires and wheels... these can vary 5-15 lbs per corner... plus this is unsprung weight so it impacts handling also.

Glass... plexi can reduce significant weight, and reduce it high up where it again will impact handling... but plexi does scratch easily so it may not be practical for a street car.

Exhaust systems are very heavy.... tube headers add lightness and power but at the expense of no heat... (for our Florida friends it's a no brainer..)

Fuel... 7 lbs a gallon.... running a small fuel cell can make a diference big time.... running the stock tank below 1/4 can cause pick-iup problems on the track in my experience...
Old 05-24-2005, 04:53 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just put my order in for a Rennline battery relocation kit and an Odessey 680l lightweight battery, which weighs 15 lbs versus my current 37 lbs battery in the stock location.

Quick Reply: Lightening a 1983 911SC