Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

87-89 Carrera Vs 97 Boxster opinions...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts
Unhappy 87-89 Carrera Vs 97 Boxster opinions...please help!

Hi folks,

I am presently the owner of a mint 1997 Boxster with lots of options, I bought the car a couple of years ago when I was actually looking for an 86-89 carrera 3.2, I got very frustrated by the banks (I was new to the country) and eventually found a dealer with this mint low mileage Boxster who could get me a little finance on the car.
I bought the Boxster and I have had great fun in it, its been reliable (not my daily driver) and I must admit I quite like having the top down.

However.....I still wonder occasionally whether I would enjoy a 3.2 carrera more, I guess I am asking in terms of real driver involvement, does the carrera seem more capable than the Boxster?

Despite the Carrera's age, thinking back to when I drove a few of them, they seemed to have much greater steering feel and feedback, and the weight of the car shifting during cornering could be felt which was nice. Also throttle response seemed a little better (and of course that engine note...).
Its been so long since I drove a 911 that I can't really remember when it was like compared to the Boxster, so I guess I am asking for opinions from folks that have driven both and what your feelings are on the subject. I am not too concerned which is the faster, they are both similar enough and plenty fast enough for me.

Does the 911 have a greater driver involvement? (coupe).
Does the 911 seem creaky etc compared with the boxster? (body shake/chassis flex etc)
Is the 911 more satisfying to drive for the sheer sake of driving pleasure than the Boxster?
Does the boxster really sacrifice steering feel with it power assistance compared to the unassisted 911?

I am not concerned about things like which is the fastest around a track or which accelerates faster or has a higher top speed, I am just concerned about enjoyment, not figures.

I know a lot of you will tell me to go drive one, which is something I have thought about, however I don't want to waste someones time (private seller) or get hassled by cheesy used car salesmen (urgh...) just to get a drive, it would help me at this point to get some feedback first.

Thanks a lot

Chris
Old 05-08-2005, 04:23 PM
mschafer71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 years ago I bought my first 911, a 88 3.2 coupe in very good condition. 2 years ago I happened upon a 96 993 coupe in showroom condition/7500 miles and bought it with the idea that the 88 would be sold. Well the garage still holds two 911's, I could not bring myself to sell the 88, it's too much fun to drive and now I'm not as conscious about protecting it from wear and tear with the 993 around. The 88 is now the part time daily driver, the 993 is driven to mantain it and only on the best weather days. I would say you should start checking out 87-89 3.2's, if you show up in a Boxster most owners will probably be glad. Drive them for yourself because everyone has a preference and slant on these 911's. I have also driven some cars from this era that were not set-up properly and were disappointing. Personally I think the G-50 series is great and would'nt sell unless I was offered a good price. Turbo tie rods, weltmeister sways, Bilsteins and strut brace make it handle like a go-kart. The 3.6 in the 993 has gobs of torque and I cant complain in the least about the newer suspension, but it is a different drive. I like both, the 986 does have excellent handling and balance from everything I have read, hopefully I will get to drive one soon.

Last edited by mschafer71; 05-08-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:20 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

The Boxster rotates right behind the driver; the 911 rotates from the tail.

The Boxster will cut a 911 to ribbons on road or track.

BUT, it is almost too competent. A 911 has a real 'you are there' feel - a rough edge like you are driving a sports car, really driving a sports car.

You should have one of each.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:51 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

FWIW, my 84 feels like I'm piloting a WWII prop fighter plane, vs a more modern feel vehicle - it's as much a frame-of-mind exercise as it is a physical exhilaration to drive.

Creature comforts in my 84 are lacking compared to the Boxster, I'd imagine (manual seats, locks, etc). I was considering an '01-'02 Boxster, which would have been on the outside of my price range. I like the mid-engine handling, but needed to have the 2+2 seating. Dry handling & braking the 911 is excellent, even in 20 year old stock configuration. Wet handling I find to be a handful & then some.

If you can swing it, I think Randy's right - they each have their strong & weak points, and would complement each other well.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Default One or other, can't have both...

Unfortunately, I can only own one or the other, I simply don't have the money to have both, or space.

I think I will have to hunt around and find an understanding private seller and go and try a 911 again for myself, one more little thing I was wondering about, how can I tell when looking at such a 911 if it is legal to drive in California or not? (smog) although we live in MA right now, in July we are moving to California, so it would have to be smog legal.

Thanks again guys

Chris

Old 05-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are looking for a 3.2... count on spending about $10K or so to make it right and proper.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

The above statement will be controversial...but Ive put over 10K in my car in the past 2 years. I bought it with 64K on it and it now has over 120K. The money spent was on basic maintanance and upgrades... biggest repair was a 2K clutch job. These cars are not cheap but they are tons of fun and full of ownership pride. If money is an issue, save it and buy a 3.2 in a couple of years.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:24 AM
EC83SC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Boxster nyet

87-89 G50 Carreras are far superior to the '97 Boxster as far as reliability, ease of DIY maintenance and resale value IMHO. I've had two '87s that were both fantastic performers and terrific values. The early Boxsters had serious engine problems. Do a search on this site or Pelican for Boxster engine problems and decide for yourself based on others actual experiences. Capital One(formerly PeopleFirst) finances older cars based on your credit score and Hagerty has just recently gotten into the financing arena.

EDIT: Sorry I just reread your post and realize you already own a '97 Boxster. Didn't mean to rag on your car and I'm glad it's been trouble free, but I stand by my statement that the G50 Carreras are superior values.

Last edited by EC83SC; 05-09-2005 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Reread the post
Old 05-09-2005, 12:32 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The older 911's have a very visceral quality about them that is missing in the Boxster and 996. The latter cars are of course much easier to drive and live in, but there nothing like an older 911 to raise your heart rate when you step on the gas.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:41 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I think I would sell the Boxster and get a 911. Boxster prices will keep going down (esp. after the new one is out) but 911 prices should be stable and the 3.2L cars might go up in price (like the early cars). Thus, if you don't like it you can easily resell it and buy a Boxster for cheap, or maybe get a 2005 (new style) Boxster in '06 or '07 etc. for a smaller discount. Make sense?

One warning - the 911 may prime you to sell it and get a real rough, visceral 911 - the early cars up to '73...
Old 05-09-2005, 01:45 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it. You only have so many years to experience as many cars as possible. If finances are a factor, consider a pre-G50 Carrera for a few thousand less and an even more involving driving experience with the 915 transmission.

Brett
(yes, the same one from PPBB, 78 911SC continental orange)
Old 05-09-2005, 03:02 AM
pgrunwald
Instructor

Originally Posted by earlyapex
The older 911's have a very visceral quality about them that is missing in the Boxster and 996. The latter cars are of course much easier to drive and live in, but there nothing like an older 911 to raise your heart rate when you step on the gas.
I have to agree with the above statement. I thought I wanted a Boxster for a long time. I drove a few and though I would not discribe any Porsche as sterile, there is a mechanical aura to the air-cooled, rear-engine 911 that is special that I did not get from the Boxster.

Though at times I miss the creature comforts of a more "modern" car (this generally involves hot or cold drinks in my crotch), I don't think there is a more pure sports car than the air-cooled 911s. When I decided to get one I looked for a G-50 and I'm content. 911 or Boxster - 911 hands down. Which 911 gets into how much $$$, maintenance, and style issues. For $10-20K you can find very, very nice SC's and Carreras, and maybe a Turbo.

My personal experience is that I hit a sweet spot last year with an '87 Targa with 56K for mid-teen $$$. Removing the top satisfies the convertable urge. I have spent another $2k for Targa repairs, fluids, and a good valve adjust, but I have tight, dry (inside and engine) car that is unique, fun, and appreciating. I also know that I can sell for prob. more than I have into it if I really get the urge for something else. I did not think that would happen with a Boxster.

Though I would like the HP and torque of the 993 and 90s cars, my Carrera still has much more capabilities than I have driving skill. I can also can put an lod of mods that will make this car a track contender (no Targa jokes please! ). A Boxster would have cost me twice what I put into my car just to drive. Also, I can work on almost all of the car without adult supervision or a line of credit.

I like the Boxsters, I hope someday I can afford both. I can also say that unless I'm near bankruptcy or blind, I will also never be without a 911.

Paul (still in the 911 newbie/honeymoon stage)
Old 05-09-2005, 08:06 AM
ChemMan
Pro

I guess I will throw my two cents in. I never wanted a Porsche till I drove a boxster. I was sure I wanted one until I drove a 911. I bought a 1986 Carrera and figure in a few years when the boxster price falls a bit more, maybe I will get one of those.......the boxster sure was nice though!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the opinions guys, as far as money goes, the Boxster is all paid up so if I sell it I can spend all the money on another car, I could probably stretch another $1-2000 ontop of that but no more, I did have my name on the list for a new Lotus Elise for delivery in december, but I couldn't justify $47,000 worth of car when we don't even have our own house, so I cancelled it...
So if I sold the Boxster I might get around $22-23k for it, which should be enough for a 911.

As far as maintenance is concerned, I am very capable at fixing my own cars, the only issue I have right now is no garage here in Massachusetts, however when we move to California, I'll have access to a nice space to work in, shielded from the weather, so doing my own clutch swap or valve adjustment wouldn't bother me, I've done a lot more with cars in the past.
SonicDB says I will have to sink $10k into a 911 to get it sorted, are you talking about getting all the stone chips sprayed, re-trimming the interior and stuff like that (all done by mechanics...IE $$$)??
I couldn't afford to sink $10k into the car in 12-18 months, I could afford probably $2-3k in parts plus my own free labour a year perhaps, does this sound realistic?? The car won't be my daily driver by any means, I have a little Honda insight for that.

Creature comforts wise, the fact I had a Lotus Elise on order should tell you I don't care about that! I don't care about power windows, locks, electric seat etc, and I NEVER drank or ate anything in the Boxster in the time I have owned it! So no cup holders is good for me!

thanks again!

chris
Old 05-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Chris, as far as emissions goes according to the 911 Red Book (from what I understood), all 911's from 1980 onward are 50 state emissions compliant. At 1980 is when the book stops listing 49 state and CA production numbers separately, so I infer from that that all 911's produced were 50 state cars.

You should have no problem with emissions, as long as your emissions equipment is functioning. I would consider holding off until you get to CA to buy. That way the seller is legally responsible to ensure the car passes emissions. Helps eliminate a worry. And most CA cars tend to be in pretty good shape. I think your estimate of $2K a year on parts and maintenance is very reasonable (maybe even high) if you do your own work. You may expect $3K the first year just to make everything right as soon as you get it.

Are you sure about $22-$23K for the Boxster? Don't get too optimistic... Good luck with making the transition (in cars and to CA).

Brett

Quick Reply: 87-89 Carrera Vs 97 Boxster opinions...please help!