spark plug socket

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 01:30 PM
StanV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question spark plug socket

Hi all,

A quick question that I couldn't find info on during a search: I've had my 911SC for a few years now, but I had never changed the spark plugs until yesterday (my mechanic has done it during the biennial valve adjustment). My plug wires were shorting and needed replacing, so I thought I'd do the plugs as well (about 8K on the old ones).
Anyway, using the spark plug socket that came with my tool kit (Canadian Tire Mastercraft, a decent quality set) I had great difficulty with cyl 6, and got to wondering (after it took as long to do that cyl as the other 5 combined) if any on this board used a special socket for their plugs. I have a swivel-headed ratchet, that was no problem, but what I think I could use is a slightly longer socket, possibly with a built-in swivel. For the amount I'd use it I'm not even sure it would be worth it, but I am curious.

Thanks,

Stan V
Old 04-03-2005, 02:27 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stan: That plug is notoriously difficult. There is a special tool in the car's tool kit for just that purpose. If you won't have it, I'm not sure what the options are. I'm sure this is a common problem and someone with more experience than me will chmine in!
Old 04-03-2005, 02:53 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a tool box full of sockets and extensions to match up, i use a normal plug socket ground with a small taper at the end to prevent it from getting caught up, with a short extension, with a swivel, and a stubby ratchet. easy. If the new one gives you trouble stick a piece of lubed up hose over the porcelin end and it flexes enough to get it started easier by hand

The real bitch is a 964 or 993 plug change, those aren't easy no matter what tools you have and there is twice as many plugs!
Old 04-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a standard socket with a short extension and I tape them together so the socket doesn't come off and stay on the plug. Then I use another short extension on the ratchet wrench (one long extension won't fit). There may be some better special tools out there, but these common ones have worked well for me.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a Snap-on magnetic socket and Craftsman locking extensions. The locking extension prevents the socket from coming off. Also, the spark plug socket in the tool kit works well with an allen wrench.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:11 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stan,

I also use the spark plug socket and allen wrench that comes in the factory tool kit. If you don't have the tool kit, you can usually find one for sale at swap meets or contact Parts Heaven...

http://www.partsheaven.com/pages/index_a.html
Old 04-04-2005, 12:10 PM
mjmoran
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sinfulsteve has it...I keep my tool kit in the car and keep it ready for emergencies...the Snap On Mag socket is the tool with a 1.5 inch extension (or if your concirned the3 inch locking extension will NEVER let go). Works every time. Make sure you do not over torque them on install and use a coat of anti seize on the threads.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:56 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

What's the proper torque?
Old 04-04-2005, 02:02 PM
mjmoran
Instructor

22 ft-lb
Old 04-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Gost
Instructor

Hey...I read somewhere to never use antiseize on the plugs. They could loosen that way. Don't know if it's a fact but thought I'd pass that on if you wanted to make sure. I have never used it on plugs myself.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:29 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I think that was an emissions thing...
Old 04-05-2005, 02:45 AM
mjmoran
Instructor

I've been doing it for years...have seen one or two factory heli coils pull out from a seized SP in early engines... That got pricey. I will continue to use it. I seriously doubt the plug when properly torqued will come out on its own.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:46 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

afaik the porsche anti anti-seize crusade started after the intro of Motronic & DME. if I'm correct it was probably a computer thingie issue caused by a comprised plug ground?

meanwhile I always use good spark plug anti-seize and tighten till washer crushes.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:00 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been using a little anti-seize on the plugs in my two cars for many years with no ill effects. Like Ron said, if you torque them down properly, they will not back out of the socket and are easy to remove when it's time to change plugs.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:33 AM
StanV
Instructor

Thanks all for your input; I have a complete factory tool kit, but as usual forgot to go there first when confronted with a difficult engine bay maneuvre
As for the other ideas, they address the main time-consumer that I had, namely, when I seated the spark plug finger-tight, the extension would come off the plug socket, leaving the socket on the plug.
What I really need is a couple of friends just down the block who have done all these things. Living in a rather small Canadian city I don't really have that, but I do have a great mechanic who doesn't hesitate to tell me when I can handle a new chore, as well as his tricks for that job; I also have this board, which has saved me countless headaches in the years I've been a member. Next time I'll remember to post before I start something new!

Thanks again!

PS To add insult to injury, I dropped one of the new plugs on the floor during the struggle, and chipped the insulation. Even this small part is mail-order for me; fortunately (or not) the snow here hasn't quite melted enough to get the car out yet, so I'm not losing precious driving time.

Quick Reply: spark plug socket