Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1) G50 Rattle? 2) Wood Grain Dash Panels

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 08:33 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question 1) G50 Rattle? 2) Wood Grain Dash Panels

I have heard many times about the G50 rattle and I'd like to know if that is what I hear when I accelerate from idle in first gear (or any gear, for that matter). It sounds like a rattle in the exhaust system that lasts a second or so at a certain low RPM. Can anyone enlighten me as to the specifics of the G50 rattle?

In Laffingwell's Porsche 911 Buyer's Guide there's a SC, I think, with wood grain dash panels. I was thinking something like that might be a nice touch on my black dash, either the lower panels or gauge cluster panel or both. I can't find anyone who sells them. Any ideas?
Old 03-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Marty916
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gearbox (G50) on my 87 Carrera had the same rattle, which I'm told is not uncommon with this gearbox. I'm not certain but I believe it has something to do with shaft bearing clearances. I understand that it doesn't effect reliability or function. My mechanic suggested running Redline lubricant and it did, in fact, make a significant difference in the rattle. It's basically gone and only manifests itself at very low rpm when lugging the motor (not that I do this often...) or starting off with extremely low revs. The later models had a multi-piece flywheel installed to mitigate the rattle which entailed a weight penalty and didn't completely cure the rattle. Unless your gearbox has significant wear(mileage) or an obvious fault, I would suggest changing the lubricant before proceeding further. There are other brands of lube that do the same thing but my only personal experience is with Redline, which I highly recommend. No info on your dash question. Sorry!
Old 03-26-2005, 11:11 PM
der Mond
Racer

Thanks - sounds like it is indeed the rattle I hear. I will just live with it since it's not getting worse. The tranny has Red Line 75W-90 in it per receipts. It shifts beautifully. You have answered my question as to what tranny oil to change into it this spring - I was going to give Mobil 1 a try. Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:34 AM
AdamF
Cruisin'

I think the G50 rattle is more or less a Getrag trait than just a G50 problem. I'm no Porshce expert, but I do work on BMWs and all the bimmers with getrag 'boxes and a few miles on them have a lot of input shaft noise as well. There's nothing you can do about it other than change the oil, unless you have ca$h for a rebuild. It does not affect reliability on the BMWs either.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:18 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The dual-mass flywheel used in the 964 completely cures the rattle (i just switched to a LWF) but the downside is it weighs 30 pounds.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:54 AM
danoberer
Instructor

Default G50 rattle

The rattle is a normal known phenomenon of the clutch springs when lugging at low rpm. No worries!
Old 03-28-2005, 06:13 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Clutches and trannies completely baffle me but, I used to have the rattle problem in my '87 as well. For reasons that make no sense to me, a new clutch has made the problem go completely away.

To further compound my confusion - I swapped the factory rubber centred clutch for an aftermarket spring centre clutch in making the transition. I fully expected the new clutch to be noiser than the old (springs vs. rubber) - but the exact opposite has turned out to be the case. I guess my assumptions about rubber being quieter than springs must ignore some basic principles of drivetrain noise that I simply don't understand.

Aw well - put in a new clutch if you're tired of the low RPM rattle. I used to particularily hate it in places like parkades where the noise would really "rattle" around.

Sounds soooo tacky...
Old 03-28-2005, 08:06 PM
der Mond
Racer

Thanks, fellas, I appreciate the info. It does sound tacky, but I'm at the point where I'm developing a project list and doing triage. As long as the tranny is strong and the engine I refer to as Zeus makes that godlike thunder, I'll live with it until clutch time....nice to know it's not critical

Quick Reply: 1) G50 Rattle? 2) Wood Grain Dash Panels