Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

jacking damage

Old 03-14-2002, 12:58 AM
Kevin McD
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post jacking damage

I just bought a gorgeous '82 911sc in great shape (my first Porsche). I asked my local Porsche mechanic where to take it for new Yokahamas and he said Discount Tire was as good as any. To make a long story short, they damaged the left rear rocker panel and also dented the left rear floorboard (can see a crack in the floor of the car under the carpet). I couldn't believe it! Is this a straightforward fix or did they really screw it up? Needless to say, I know a lot more now about how to properly jack a Porsche.
Old 03-14-2002, 01:32 AM
Dana Drury
Intermediate

Man thats really bad. You should actually ring them and asked them how they jacked it. They should have used the Torsion bars for the rear and the strong points at the front.

However, if they did use the Torsion bars and the front strong points, there is a chance that your car had been damaged in some other way and this aggrevated it?
Old 03-14-2002, 09:54 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My rocker panels are nicked up from the same thing and they can be easily repaired. They are held on by a few screws. Take them off and pound the panel out with a mallet on top of sandbags. As for the cracked floorpan, that's a bit trickier. I've never done it. But I would think you could treat the crack with some rust-proofing from the underside, pound it out from the inside and then treat both sides with rust-proofing again.

Of course, try to get the tire place to pay for everything first.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:40 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts
Kevin:
Someone had jacked up my 911 (prior to purchase) using the floor and it was pushed in in two places. After I bought it, my mechanic and I fixed it this way:

1) remove the seats and the carpet
2) take a 4x4 and a rubber hammer
3) stand the 4x4 up over the area that is pushed up and whack it with the hammer. It worked and you can't even tell there was ever a problem.

I am guessing that the cracks you are referring to are on the inside? If so, thats the tar like substance that I think was used to reduce the road noise in the cabin. I scraped as much of it out as possible since it cracked when we straightened the floors. No rust issues
Old 03-15-2002, 12:31 PM
Noel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The previous owner of my car took it to a tire place and they put their jack under the oil lines running up the passenger side of the car. Obviously they crushed the lines.

Idiots
Old 03-15-2002, 04:11 PM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
(Corrected version - should have read the message more carefully.) I wouldn't think twice about it. Just tell the tire shop that you're leaving the car at the body shop, and ask the tire shop for the name of their insurance company. My paint was damaged by an unidentified chemical while parked in a garage in downtown Boston. The garage helped to coordinate with their insurance company, and everything was repaired perfectly at no cost to me. (I skipped the rental car and took the train to work.)
Old 03-17-2002, 09:15 AM
desoto
Track Day

Novice user here - but I attempted to Jack my car yesterday and got a little nervous.

This is a stupid question for most of you - but where do I put my jack stands once I have lifted the car under one of hoist points - LR but I did not see a spot to use one of my jack stands. And advice would be appreciated.

Desoto
Old 03-17-2002, 09:20 AM
bds1
Advanced

On the rear use the torsion bar end caps, this is the standard place. The front I just use the control arm frame.

FOr jacking the rear, I jack the motor sump, but I made a 2x6 that lift around the sheet metal sump cap.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:46 AM
Joe Abrahamson
Intermediate

Kevin,

Had the same thing happen at a local service station and they paid to replace the rocker panels AND the oil line they nicked. Their insurance paid for it with no questions asked, but I was very lucky.

I was standing there when it happened and called the supervisor over while the car was in the air and showed him then what happened. No way to deny it and $1700 later it was taken care of.

Contact the shop and get it fixed on their nickle!

JoeA
Old 03-18-2002, 02:48 PM
Kevin McD
8th Gear

Thanks for your advice! I am waiting for the weather to get better in Seattle so I can get it to the best bodyshop I can find.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:03 PM
pbs911
Instructor

Since no one has said it I will - get a jack pad ($20) and always have provide it to the wrench. I've done this several times when geting tires and I was surprised to hear them say that they do alot of P-cars but no one has ever brought a jack pad to properly lift the car.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:05 PM
pbs911
Instructor

Since no one has said it I will - get a jack pad ($20) and always have provide it to the wrench. I've done this several times when geting tires and I was surprised to hear them say that they do alot of P-cars but no one has ever brought a jack pad to properly lift the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: jacking damage