Replace calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 07:01 PM
UberScheitzer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace calipers?

During our rebuild on the 911 S front brake calipers we were inspecting the center shaft and cylinder walls. There are pits on the shaft and the anodizing has worn away on part of the cylinder wall. See the photos attached. Is it time to replace the calipers?

Thanks!
Attached Images   
Old 02-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Your calipers are aluminum, yes? If so, I've heard that someone out there has created bores for these early, very expensive gems, but I have no direct info regarding that possibility. With the damage that I see in your photos I would say that it's time to find a good pair of "A" calipers from an SC, which will preserve your pad size ratio front to back. Sorry...
Pete
Old 02-19-2005, 07:53 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Do you want better heat dissipation? Or to keep it stock at "all" costs? Or the cheapest way to restore the brakes?

- Answers to those mutually exclusive questions might decide which way to go...
Old 02-20-2005, 01:32 AM
UberScheitzer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Now we are considering replacing all 4 calipers w/ a 993 setup.

Found the front's and rears for 775.00
Probably need to upgrade to a 23mm mercedes master cylinder (about 110.00)
I imagine we could get away with rebuilding them ourselves and stay below 1000.00

Does this seem reasonable? Any major modifications need to be done to fit these on our 911? We have 16" fuchs (7" wide in the front and 8" in the rear)

Might also need to look into a brake bias valve. Haven't done much research on this though.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:36 AM
UberScheitzer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by randywebb
Do you want better heat dissipation? Or to keep it stock at "all" costs? Or the cheapest way to restore the brakes?

- Answers to those mutually exclusive questions might decide which way to go...
Doesn't need to stay stock. We are looking for the car to be an occasional daily driver and weekend auto-x'r. Will track the car once we have a really good feel of what she can do.

Looking to not spend too much (hopefully not over 2k as we have already purchased rebuild kits for the current calipers, new cross drilled brembo rotors, and a new master cylinder). Just want to make sure it is done right.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2005, 11:31 AM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think White Post Restorations will sleeve the calipers and make them as good as new. Not as good as 993 brakes tho.....No idea of cost.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:49 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

You might want to look at Bill Verburg's brake pages. FI you weren't already part way down the creek, I'd think Carrera brakes would be the way to go.
993 brakes are pretty but only needed if you are really overheating now (fade) and air ducting has not solved it.

Remember: what you want is the lightest brake that does not fade (or a concours setup - but you ruled that out).
Old 02-21-2005, 01:34 PM
KobaltBlau
Track Day

Remember that the piston surface really runs against the seal. Of course your safety is your own responsibility, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the bore. The piston, which you haven't shown, should have a perfect chrome surface, however. I also doubt the pits on the post are a problem, but maybe someone with more experience with S calipers can speak up ... I'm more familiar with the As which don't have a post.

don't go to bigger brakes unless you need to ... SC A calipers are inexpensive rebuilt however, and will run on your current rotors if I remember correctly. They provide better feel but weigh a touch more.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

Send them to White Post Restorations They can make them like new.

As far as up grades goes try reading this 993 calipers can be used but there is a bit more invlolved than just bolting them on.

Quick Reply: Replace calipers?